The Good News Thread!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I have to announce that the incessant bad news forthcoming from the world over the last 12 months has eroded my optimism. I mean, here is the highlight reel, in no particular order (from my limited American perspective):

1. BP Oil Spill in Gulf of Mexico
  2. Ongoing Afghanistan War
  3. World Economic Recession / Oil & Gas Prices
  4. Fox News Continuing to Pass as 'Journalism' in U.S.:facepalm:
  5. Libya Stalemate
  6. Japan Earthquake & Tsunami (& related reactor mayhem)
  7. The Death of Knut the Polar Bear (why God?, why!?)
The list goes on and on.

My question is, is there *ANY* good news in the world? Is anything positive going on anywhere? If so, pass it along here!

Ross

Reaction score
I agree with you. It is hard to stay optimistic in these troubled times. But there is hope.

We are making great advancements in energy research, so the war on oil...er...terror will finally be over eventually. It's all about the money.

I had a very long and interesting debate about this last night with my friends. We got home from a concert and just sat around discussing what we think the future holds. We felt pretty optimistic about it last night, even if the optimism was fueled by some other substances in our bodies... ;)

There is hope. You won't find a lot of hope on TV though. Get involved in your local independent media. Get your friends involved. Tell people that they are sick of being lied to by the media, because most of them won't tell it to themselves.

Rupert Murdoch (owner of faux news) deserves to go to prison for pushing his crazy agenda on this country, and for calling his propaganda journalism. Fair and balanced? Give me a bleeping break. Most who watch Fox news have no sense of what is going on in this world, even though they think they know everything.

Anyways, the news is generally focused on the negative things in life, because that's what gets ratings. Ratings get money. And money allows them to continue to do what they do. After all, the news corporations are just that...corporations. And their goal is to make money. It is just scary when they blatantly cross the line from objective journalism to complete propaganda.

Sorry for rambling, but I have been deeply troubled by these issues lately too. I find that meditation and carrying some crystals with me helps to maintain my positive energy :) And that's what the world needs, is positive energy. We need a revolution of the mind, the collective consciousness, and of the world. It all starts with us, though. Things aren't going to change until people get involved.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think the only place to actually find "good news" is on CBS Sunday Morning. I'd started watching that show long ago when Charles Kuralt was hosting. I've long been a fan of Charles Osgood, so I've kept watching.
He goes over the headlines at the beginning of the show, but then it's on to their featured pieces.

As for Fox News and CNN, both networks are equally unwatchable, and for much the same reasons. If I want news I'll watch my local area channel, if I want a fair view of what's going on in America, I'll watch the BBC.

Ross

Reaction score
As for Fox News and CNN, both networks are equally unwatchable, and for much the same reasons.

Quite right. I forgot to mention (I typed it then erased it and had another train of thought) that Fox news is not the only news channel that is guilty of this. All networks seem to push their agendas to some degree...but Fox just happens to be the shining example of what a news station shouldn't be.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The same all over the world, I think...

Good news... huh... :hmm: ... oh yeah, we have magnificent weather on Western Europe, sunny and quite warm given the season.

But as TV says crops are going to lack of water and... :leaving:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Knut :(

I usually watch BBC in hopes of good news, and occasionally Al-Jazeera.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I expected a religious thread, I guess that's just showing my preoccupation with certain terms in certain contexts... :lol:

jimblah

Reaction score
I'm sick of the media hustle.

I prefer to get my news on the street by word of mouth first. Then I'll look it up on the internet and read about it. I don't want a corporation spoon feeding me what they want me to "know" by actors reading a teleprompter. I wish Ben Franklin were here to comment on the current state of journalism in this country. He was known to have a temper. He once pushed a friend off a river boat into the drink for saying something foolish. He used to brawl with other typesetters over politics in his youth. His forearms were thick from holding type all day. I'm sure he'd have plenty to say, and he'd say it with style and flair. Long live the Republic.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good news... huh... :hmm: ... oh yeah, we have magnificent weather on Western Europe, sunny and quite warm given the season.
Beautiful weather a few days ago over here, too. It's rainy this week but that just means Spring is right around the corner. Time to dig out the bicycles. :)

The papers are still full of murders, pestilence and political corruption, though. Oh well, I don't think there media have ever reported all the good things they could. :shrug:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
  1. Libya Stalemate
My question is, is there *ANY* good news in the world? Is anything positive going on anywhere? If so, pass it along here!
Well, you could say that there are literally millions of people in Egypt and Tunisia who no-longer live under the unelected rule of an incumbent despot. Surely that's good news, no?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Good news: The 2005 horror news by the UN about climate refugees causing massive problems in Africa turned out to be wrong. In the time in which some places should go completely devoid of humans until 2010, the population in the same places grew, despite the climate change, that is also observed there.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
If you REALLY want optimism to fullfill your life, just watch Berlusconi's face any day...In spite of his huge problems, he just smiles and smiles and smiles...:facepalm:

vignetta.jpg

- It could also be worse.
- No.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I prefer to get my news on the street by word of mouth first.
Where do you think the word on the street comes from? Without some form of mass-distributed media (whatever the quality) you'd never hear about anything that happens outside your small community/county/country... Oh wait, I see you live in the USA - ignore all of that.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
In 37 minutes I will leave work and get to spend the rest of this gloriously sunny day with my girlfriend and stepdaughter. The only thing which could make that news better for me would be having my son there too.

On a side note, however, never open TV Tropes while in work. Even with the callout alarm going it's remarkably difficult to pull away. :s

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Good news, everyone!
It's about raining in Moscow! Spring have come!

What do you call good or bad news anyway?
It's all a matter of perspective.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good news, in Gauteng it is now freezing cold.

Oh... wait, that's not good news. :facepalm:

Sorry guys... :p

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
Ok aside from political stuff..I will refrain. Good news? Good news is that you wake up in the morning and live to see another day. The sun will rise again tomarrow. With all that goes on in the universe I consider that to be VERY lucky and indeed good news. Not only that but I did stay in a holiday inn express lol (umm yeah that was a joke)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Good news: They are really back!

Can't wait to see them.