The hottest food in the World?

FADEC

Reaction score
So what was the hottest food you have ever tried?

Mine was some Chinese food but I don't remember what it was exactly.

I personally like really hot food from time to time. But I have never tried something like the "Bhut Jolokia" chili pepper. I consider whether if I should get one of these from ebay and try it just out of curiosity or better not. It is expected to be the hottest chili pepper in the world. To get a comparison: it is about 2,000 times as hot as a usual hot pepper. It rates at about 1 million heat untis on the so called Scoville Scale. Above this, there is only pepper spray and other unenjoyable substances.

:cheers: or :sick:? :lol:

But people react in different ways. There are people who stay quite calm. And especially females seem to be hardened, or are they just less self-pitying than males? :p There even is an Indian women who eats countless of Bhut Jolokias just for the Guinness Book of Records.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Mine was a self-made Pizza with 100 gram of the hottest chilis that my Asia shop had...somebody should have made just as many as needed, but she took all, and wondered why she got burns on her hands cutting the red small chilis into small pieces...

Sorry, but I consider the Scoville scale nonsense. It doesn't tell you how it tastes and pure capsasin poisoning isn't really what I consider enjoying food. I would even go so far to claim, that Wasabi is much stronger (since it is a kind of mustard, despite not rating at all on the Scoville scale.

Last edited:

FADEC

Reaction score
Sorry, but I consider the Scoville scale nonsense.

I almost think the same way. But it's just the only comparison one can look at if you haven't tried yourself. People might feel it in different ways however. I don't think that each Bhut Jolokia is the same. It certainly also depends on the cultivation. But for sure it is still damn hot.

Ross

Reaction score
Wasabi is much stronger (since it is a kind of mustache)

So I can wear wasabi under my nose??? :lol:

(I think you meant to say mustard) :thumbup:

My brother in law grew up in Brazil and he loves hot food. I am not a big fan of spicy, because I get all sweaty and I don't enjoy having those flavors trapped in my mouth, but my brother in law--on the other hand--he was growing those really powerful Bhut Jolokia peppers. I wouldn't even touch those things.

------

Cultivation is definitely a factor, as it is with any plant. Different climates produce different characteristics in the plant, and some regions seem to produce better peppers. Here in America, the best peppers are grown in the southwest (desert climate), so growing them in colorado (a dry steppe climate) didn't work out quite so well for him. Although the plant looked pretty healthy from what I recall.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't appreciate my food waging chemical warfare on the inside of my mouth.

Seriously, these plants evolve the use of this chemical, to deter mammals- specifically to cause pain to mammalian mucous membranes (birds and sharks, for example, aren't affected). And humans come along and eat these plants for enjoyment.

Humans are awesome. :uhh:

FADEC

Reaction score
I don't appreciate my food waging chemical warfare on the inside of my mouth.

Seriously, these plants evolve the use of this chemical, to deter mammals- specifically to cause pain to mammalian mucous membranes (birds and sharks, for example, aren't affected). And humans come along and eat these plants for enjoyment.

Humans are awesome. :uhh:

Come on. It's just fun and a sort of kick :)

HarvesteR

Reaction score
I thought the world's hottest pepper was the Ghost chilli (According to Man vs Food at least :lol:)... It also rates above a million on the Scoville scale, which is about 10,000x stronger than a Habanero.

Never tried any of those though... I haven't reached that level yet.

But anyhow, living in Mexico as I do now, it's pretty much impossible to avoid hot food... And it's starting to grow on me... I guess my taste buds are burning off :D

Cheers

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
I thought the world's hottest pepper was the Ghost chilli (According to Man vs Food at least :lol:)... It also rates above a million on the Scoville scale, which is about 10,000x stronger than a Habanero.

Never tried any of those though... I haven't reached that level yet.

But anyhow, living in Mexico as I do now, it's pretty much impossible to avoid hot food... And it's starting to grow on me... I guess my taste buds are burning off :D

Cheers

I think the Bhut Jolokia and Ghost Chili are the same thing

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hottest thing I've eaten was some Thai-dish with what they called "hot basil". It's hard to imagine how basil could be hot, so I was quite surprised...

I generally enjoy eating hot, but the term is so bloody relative. In switzerland I can eat "rather hot", in bosnia "super hot", at the turkish Kebab "spicey", but in the Thai restraunt all that turns out to be "as mild as you can make it, thank you!" :facepalm:

Quintuss

Reaction score
I like hot spices.
Im a big fan of hot sauces.
But peppers are vegetebles i like the most :p
Hottest one i tried was Naga Jolokia well above 1mln scovilles. On daily basis i use habanero based sauces as ketchup. And african Birds Eye peppers are just godly beer snacks on parties.

Just note that really hot food burn twice... :lol:

(NOT RECOMENDED for ppl with poor heart condition, pregnant women and small kids)

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Are peppers actually vegetables, or are they fruits?

I dunno. Let's make a poll and see peoples' opinions :lol: Though they have visible seeds, so I'd guess a fruit, but I'm not sure.