Orbinaut since 2003
Reaction score

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I watched it last night. The best SF movie in years!

For those who are not familiar with the book, the story develops quite fast. The visuals are impressive and all the Mars surface scenes are filmed very convincing. Best comment in the audience was: "Is this based on a real story?" :)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Best comment in the audience was: "Is this based on a real story?" :)

:WTF: I don't expect people to know everything about history, but seriously?

Then again, I knew older people who thought well into the 80s that we were still sending people to the moon, and it was just too common to make the news anymore.

Unstung

Reaction score
Spoilers are in red.

I've seen the movie twice. While the film is good, it does omit or alter several events from the novel in order to fit into a two-hour movie. What particularly irritates me is the ending of the film, it's completely unnecessary. The novel ends perfectly, but the film has to tie up too many loose ends and leaves too little to the audience's imagination. This time could have been used much better to add clarification to some things Watney does to save his ass. What makes the novel a great work of hard science fiction is the meticulous descriptions of Watney's strategies. The movie hardly has these. The explanations don't need to be boring technical descriptions, they can be shown visually. For example, the weakening of the airlock over time can be shown through visuals. The book made the airlock's imminent failure suspenseful rather than it just happening suddenly. More thoroughly explaining the dangerous :censored: Watney does can really add to the suspense of getting him home alive.

The film should really mention that Watney is also an engineer. This can be done easily by just placing the title on the front page of his file, near Botanist. It would really clarify how Watney has so much technical knowledge.

Due to the omissions in the movie, I still recommend reading the book. The film is a great companion to the novel, but the screenplay is not as complete as the source material. But to give it credit, the standalone movie is easily the best space film since Moon.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It looks like the movie will be known as "Odyssey" (オデッセイ) in Japan. Release date: February 5, 2016.

And there's a promotional tie-in advertisement with the "Space Brothers" (宇宙兄弟) anime that depicts the reactions of Mutta and Hibito Nanba:

(this also gives me some hope that the Space Brothers anime will start back up again)

Last edited:

artisthos

Reaction score
The best space movie on my list. Previously it was Race to Mars Part on the Discovery Channel. I look forward to going through the mission in Orbiter.