The Martian

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I saw this thursday night. I'm not always one for comparisons, but IMHO it blew Interstellar out of the water.

Totally agree. But then again I never thought much of Interstellar to begin with. It really doesn't belong in a discussion about good space movies, or even good movies, to begin with.

For me, Martian is up there with Apollo 13, 2001, and Marooned.

Destination Moon would be in there too for the hard SF, but the movie itself suffers from 2D characters and script writing, so it doesn't make the cut. Gravity almost makes the cut for great visuals, story, and localized science (EVA scenes and space vehicle details very realistic), but loses for global science failure (Kessler Syndrome does not work that way, objects in LEO don't all line up nicely so you float to them in a suit, etc.).

Interstellar is in my doghouse with Armageddon as far as bad space movies go.

But I put The Martian near the top. Now, after we pick it apart on OF, we'll see if it stays on my Top Win list.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Standing on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier during flight ops will net you 2 - 5 mSv of ionizing radiation per hour if our TLDs were to believed.

But the radar wavelength is different from the radiation wavelength you would got in space, no?

Being exposed by one day to radar emissions would do less harm than being exposed by one day to Caesium 137 ones...

(my answer to my own question: the key is that "ionizing" thing. non ionizing radiation is not a issue.)

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Just saw the movie and it's quite good.
It's classical Mars sci-fi, with the story revolving on problem solving and the realities of a Mars trip. Very good and keeps your attention every moment!

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Saw and really enjoyed it. Stayed faithful to the book, and I liked the casting for the most part. Definitely more enjoyable than Gravity, in my opinion.

Either way, it's good to see so many films coming out about semi-realistic space travel.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Saw it Friday night. Loved it. Go see it.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Saw it this afternoon with some geek friends. Good movie, though I feel that the American Duct Tape Council paid to get product placement with some really implausible repair work. It was like the Red Green Show on Mars sometimes.

I think a movie is a tough format for a story like this. They have to get through a lot of technical material and present it in a cohesive manner to the average public in two hours, so you necessarily get the Cliff Notes version without a lot of the details, but it did a really good job getting it all done. A lot of really good humorous moments.

I liked it. Two thumbs up! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fidelis

Reaction score
Here a picture of the scenario THE MARTIAN under development:

showfull.php

Poor Matt Damon under the antenna debris and the escape vehicle liftoff left him behind

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
With the refueling outage going on, it may be two weeks until I get to see this.

Does he at least do his Fonzi impression?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That was the section of the book I had to re-read several times due to the laugh-out-loud factor. My wife was looking at me as I rolled over on the sofa with tears in my eyes. The NASA response was pretty funny too.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Regardless of what some people here may think of Gravity and/or Interstellar, I like to consider those two along with The Martian as part of a "NASA film trilogy."

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just got back from watching it. Hands down one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Outstanding. The only, and I do mean only, part of the movie where it exceeded my suspension of disbelief was one of the few places it actually needed it. No spoilers for those who haven't seen it or read the book, except to say, "Iron Man." Other than that, and the choice of music, this was an awesome, awesome movie. Go see it.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I must say it lived up to my expectations. I highly recomend this movie.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Also: +10 for "missile man" reference
Regardless of what some people here may think of Gravity and/or Interstellar, I like to consider those two along with The Martian as part of a "NASA film trilogy."

For me NASA trilogy consists of Right Stuff, Apollo 13 and as for today The Martian.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
No RTG hot tub though. :huh:

"Iron Man" caused my eyes to roll a few times, but I expected it.

I did like the "Hot Stuff" scene, and what I'll call the "Wile E. Coyote scene" after the hydrazine explosion. Comedic timing was pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I just watched The Martian last night. Absolutely excellent movie. I loved the whole thing. Makes me want to read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy again.
Or maybe read The Martian...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I want to talk spoilers...should we start a new thread for that to be nice to those who haven't seen it yet?