Discussion The next 100 years..

HopDavid

Hop David
Reaction score
Website
clowder.net
You almost seem to claim that a certain portion of the Moon is equated to the entire Moon and that simply isn't true.

I do not recall saying the moon's entire surface was covered with CHON.

The quote tags in this forum allow you to point to a specific post.

If you can cite one of my posts that can be construed that way, please point to it. If you do so, I will say "mea culpa" and offer my apologies.

If you can't point to such a post, a retraction on your part would be in order.

That said, if you wanted to bother about the Moon, the polar sites would be of most interest.

Yes. I'm advocating a lunar base at the pole. I have little interest in the lower latitudes.

Wrong. I've never complained about the fact that the Moon is distant, but rather that it is remote. It is a total wilderness without any infrastructure whatsoever.

A pointless semantics quibble, "remote" and "distant" are synonyms. Of course the lunar pole is a wilderness without any infrastructure. I've never said otherwise.

How many times do I have to start sounding like an idiot to explain to you that the problems of the Constellation program were not caused by Ares V?

In the conversation between you and I, you were the first to mention Constellation. You were crying how Constellation took money from Mars, totally ignoring Constellation's ultimate goal was Mars.

You state unequivocally "Ares V was a moon rocket, plain and simple."

If the moon were the sole goal of Constellation, there would be no need for such an HLV. You maintain a HLV isn't needed for Mars either. Did Griffin share that opinion? It seems he hoped to go to Mars in an HLV as Zubrin advocated. Again the rocket name "Ares" is straight out of Zubrin's The Case For Mars.

Your attempt to pin Constellation on the moon is disingenuous. They had their sights on Mars and I believe that is why Griffin pushed for such a monstrous HLV.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I do not recall saying the moon's entire surface was covered with CHON.

The quote tags in this forum allow you to point to a specific quote.

If you can point to one of my posts that can be construed that way, please point to it. If you do so, I will say "mea culpa" and offer my apologies.

If you can't point to such a post, a retraction on your part would be in order.

You stated that there is CHON on the Moon. That is correct, but it is only localised.

A pointless semantics quibble, "remote" and "distant" are synonyms. Of course the lunar pole is a wilderness without any infrastructure. I've never said otherwise. If you're trying to imply otherwise, you're beatin a straw man.

Not necessarily; New York is far more distant from me than a small town in the Northern Cape, but the small town is more remote. Maybe I'm not using the correct term, but I hope you get my point nontheless.

You acknowledge that there is no infrastructure on the Moon, sure. This is obvious. But you handwave away the real difficulty of setting up that infrastructure.

I'm fully aware that Constellation's ultimate goal was Mars. What you seem to miss is that the Mars stuff simply was not there. Constellation's ultimate goal was Mars, but this goal devolved to rhetoric. The more immediate goal of the Moon was far more fleshed out and thus far more likely to actually occur.

I will say this again and again and again, you don't need an Ares V class vehicle for Mars exploration. Even proposals that use HLVs don't necessarily use vehicles as gigantic as Ares V.

Griffin seemed to think that you needed a humongous vehicle for Mars. But this is the fault of Griffin, not the fault of Mars.

The lunar plans were concrete, the Mars plans were not. This put the eventual Mars mission in a doubtful state. All the other problems of Constellation were arguably the result of the launch vehicle architecture, and that was caused by Griffin and his administration.

Last edited:

HopDavid

Hop David
Reaction score
Website
clowder.net
You stated that there is CHON on the Moon.

1) "there is CHON on the moon" does not equal "CHON covers the moon"
2) You have left out some important context:

TNeoContextSnip.jpg

That was my first post in this thread.
The full post can be found by clicking on this quote arrow:
Permafrost on the moon remains a respectable concept.
NASA radar finds ice deposits at Moon's North Pole

Once again, I do not recall saying the moon's entire surface was covered with CHON.

If you can cite one of my posts that can be construed that way, please point to it.

You have failed to point to such a post, nor have you offered a retraction.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

But this is the fault of Griffin, not the fault of Mars.

If you say Ares V was a Griffin rocket, I could agree.

But when you say Ares V was a moon rocket plain and simple, I call foul. "Constellation" is not a synonym for "lunar architecture". Constellation was a plan for Mars as well as the moon.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Constellation's ultimate goal was Mars, but this goal devolved to rhetoric.

Same can be said for the intermediate Lunar goal. Constellation never took us past LEO.

Your assertion "Ares V is a moon rocket, plain and simple." remains completely unsubstantiated.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1) "there is CHON on the moon" does not equal "CHON covers the moon"

Oh well, I'm sorry. You didn't mean to imply that, and I thought you did.

2) You have left out some important context:

That was my first post in this thread.
The full post can be found by clicking on this quote arrow:

Once again, I do not recall saying the moon's entire surface was covered with CHON.

If you can cite one of my posts that can be construed that way, please point to it.

You have failed to point to such a post, nor have you offered a retraction.

My point still stands. Historically, people could have believed that permafrost existed in the lunar regolith. The fact that water ice exists in shadowed polar craters does not change the fact that most of the lunar regolith is bone-dry.

But when you say Ares V was a moon rocket plain and simple, I call foul. "Constellation" is not a synonym for "lunar architecture". Constellation was a plan for Mars as well as the moon.

My point is that there was no plan in Constellation for Mars. It was supposedly a Mars program, but this did not present itself in practice.

Same can be said for the intermediate Lunar goal. Constellation never took us past LEO.

Your assertion "Ares V is a moon rocket, plain and simple." remains completely unsubstantiated.

No, it is not unsubstantiated. Constellation never got anywhere physically, but conceptually the Moon stuff was being developed. The Mars stuff was not.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about?!

The Moon has a surface of cheese.

HopDavid

Hop David
Reaction score
Website
clowder.net
Oh well, I'm sorry. You didn't mean to imply that, and I thought you did.

The moon being covered with water is only one of several strawmen you've been beating. It is annoying distancing myself from stuff I've never said. Please stop wasting my time in this fashion.

My point still stands. Historically, people could have believed that permafrost existed in the lunar regolith.

And people could still believe this. Not only permafrost in the regolith (LCROSS ejecta was 20% volatiles, including carbon and nitrogen compounds). But 600 million tonnes of ice at the lunar NORTH POLE in sheets of ice two meters thick.

The fact that water ice exists in shadowed polar craters does not change the fact that most of the lunar regolith is bone-dry.

So what? That doesn't subtract from the potential of lunar volatiles.

SmallLunarPole.jpg

So what point are you trying to make by citing the bone dry lower latitudes?

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm wondering if the base disagreement here isn't mostly based on the illusion of insufficient resources. Reminds me a bit of the inter-departmental bickering at some of the universities I've taught at.

Personally, I'm not buying the "either the Moon OR Mars" arguments that seem pretty pervasive on line. I downloaded all the National Space Society documents on Lunar bases and settlements last night and today (interesting stuff) and am now turning to the collection of Mars base and settlement materials to round out my collection.

The thing I've found most surprising as I've browsed the Moon collection, is how often times the argument is made for setting up shop on the Moon before turning to Mars. Considering how remote each is, and how both are full-on deserts in the truest sense of the word, I find myself mostly siding with the Moon argument still. Maybe that'll change after I dive into the Mars materials, but the difference of the proximity to home still makes starting off with a return to the Moon more attractive.

Thought I'd share this little table from the 2006 "Development of the Moon" by Duke, Gaddis, et. al.

Table 1. Systems technology test beds at a lunar outpost.

Mars Application
Highly reusable EVA suits

Lunar Demonstration
Long term performance in representative environment:
-Operational tests of agility
-Long duration operations
-Multiple uses
-Maintenance and repair

Comments
A suit designed for lunar gravity may not be useful on Mars, due to its higher gravity. However, a suit designed to meet Mars requirements should be fully testable on the Moon

Mars Application
Long range teleoperated rover

Lunar Demonstration

Operated from Earth to simulate crew operations on Mars

Comments
Communication delay times of a few seconds may also be realistic for Mars in the case that astronauts operate the equipment from a Martian outpost.

Mars Application
Closed life support systems

Lunar Demonstration

Long term operation in representative environment, including maintenance and repair

Comments
1/6 g may cause more severe effects than on Mars. Therefore, a system designed for the Moon should be applicable for Mars.

Mars Application
Nuclear reactor power system

Lunar Demonstration
Robotic emplacement, shielding using indigenous materials; monitoring of radiation environment with robotic systems.

Comments

The design and operation of a nuclear power system should be very similar for both Moon and Mars, though the Martian atmosphere will need to be considered in terms of its effects on system design.

Mars Application
In-situ resource utilization

Lunar Demonstration
Subsystems, long-duration operations:
-Electrolyzers
-Liquefaction of cryogens
-Fluid transfer
-Storage

Comments
Detailed extraction processes will not be the same, but the components will be similar.

Mars Application
Human health and performance

Lunar Demonstration
Long-duration tests at 1/6-g with many subjects

Comments
More severe environment than Mars; if humans can flourish on the Moon, they will be able to adapt to Mars.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And people could still believe this. Not only permafrost in the regolith (LCROSS ejecta was 20% volatiles, including carbon and nitrogen). But 600 million tonnes of ice at the lunar NORTH POLE in sheets of ice two meters thick.

Yes, the NORTH POLE.

There are no ice deposits at Mare Tranquilitatis, nor at the crater Tsiolkovsky, nor at Mons Rümker.

So what? That doesn't subtract from the potential of lunar volatiles.

Not really, no. Other things do.

So what point are you trying to make by citing the bone dry lower latitudes?

My point is that the bone dry 'lower latitutes' (pretty much anywhere on the Moon that isn't a conveniently shadowed crater) make up most of the lunar surface. While the poles may be points of interest, they aren't the entire surface.

Also, your Africa graphic is really cute, but you keep posting it even after I have explained why it does not make sense: If I am in a part of Africa with no diamonds, it sure doesn't help that there are diamonds somewhere else.

Mars Application
Highly reusable EVA suits

Lunar Demonstration
Long term performance in representative environment:
-Operational tests of agility
-Long duration operations
-Multiple uses
-Maintenance and repair

Comments
A suit designed for lunar gravity may not be useful on Mars, due to its higher gravity. However, a suit designed to meet Mars requirements should be fully testable on the Moon

Wait, the suits on the ISS aren't "highly reusable"? I guess they aren't used that often for things wearing out to be a problem (also no dust).

You don't need to go to the Moon to test a suit for planetary surface operations.

Thermal conditions are different on the Moon. Dust is different. There is no wind.

Mars Application
Long range teleoperated rover

Lunar Demonstration
Operated from Earth to simulate crew operations on Mars

Comments
Communication delay times of a few seconds may also be realistic for Mars in the case that astronauts operate the equipment from a Martian outpost.

Teleoperated from Earth doesn't equate to teleoperating a Mars robot from Mars orbit (or similar). Surface-to-surface testing can also occur on Earth to some degree.

Also does not need a manned lunar program.

Mars Application
Closed life support systems

Lunar Demonstration
Long term operation in representative environment, including maintenance and repair

Comments
1/6 g may cause more severe effects than on Mars. Therefore, a system designed for the Moon should be applicable for Mars.

Testing for that can be performed on Earth and in space. If we want to get really fussy, we could also complain about differing conditions on the Moon.

"May cause more severe effects" is a very simplistic comparison of 1/6th and 1/3rd G. Also other conditions can differ.

Mars Application
Nuclear reactor power system

Lunar Demonstration
Robotic emplacement, shielding using indigenous materials; monitoring of radiation environment with robotic systems.

Comments
The design and operation of a nuclear power system should be very similar for both Moon and Mars, though the Martian atmosphere will need to be considered in terms of its effects on system design.

Can be done without a manned lunar program, especially if deployment of the reactor is intended to be done on Mars without a human presence in the first place.

Mars Application
In-situ resource utilization

Lunar Demonstration
Subsystems, long-duration operations:
-Electrolyzers
-Liquefaction of cryogens
-Fluid transfer
-Storage

Comments
Detailed extraction processes will not be the same, but the components will be similar.

Mars ISRU and lunar ISRU differ totally, unless you are talking about mining Martian water ice, in which case they differ, but less so.

The lunar and martian environments again differ. Mars ISRU concepts can be tested small-scale on Mars without an expensive lunar program, and as part of a useful science program (sample return).

Just to compare: the ISRU utilised in plans such as Mars Direct, uses hydrogen feedstock and carbon dioxide from the Martian atmosphere to create methane and oxygen via the sabatier reaction. That process differs considerably from mining water ice on the Moon.

Mars Application
Human health and performance

Lunar Demonstration
Long-duration tests at 1/6-g with many subjects

Comments
More severe environment than Mars; if humans can flourish on the Moon, they will be able to adapt to Mars.

The environments differ, one is more severe in many respects but this does not directly answer questions about living on Mars. There are critical issues relating to a Mars mission that lunar testing simply won't be able to solve.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is my concept of what a lunar simulation in the lead-up Mars mission would look like;

- All mission elements would be designed for eventual Mars mission applications.

- The propulsion, habitat and crew vehicle elements would be mostly unchanged between this and a Mars mission. The lander element however, would likely differ substantially, beyond perhaps some common hardware.

- Habitation and science hardware would be placed on the Moon beforehand, robotically.

- This concept would not supplant Earth or in-situ Mars based research and testing. It is meant solely to answer the questions that can be answered nowhere else but on an actual Mars mission, but with less technological and human risk.

- The role of propulsion, crew transport and habitation elements could potentially be fulfilled by vehicles/concepts in development today. As far as I know, there do not appear to be any concrete plans for any lander (be it for Mars or the Moon).

attachment.php

The 'simulation' mission would be executed as follows;

1. Hardware is launched and integrated in LEO and is sent on a trajectory towards the Moon/EML2.

2. The lander performs LOI and loiters in lunar orbit as necessary.

3. The crew vehicle and habitat arrive at EML2 and loiter for as much time as necessary to simulate transit to Mars.

4. The habitat/crew vehicle stack inserts itself into lunar orbit and performs rendezvous with the waiting lander.

5. The crew descends to the surface in the lander and begins their surface stay, for as much time as necessary to simulate the time spent on the Martian surface during a Mars mission. The crew vehicle and habitat loiter in LLO during this time.

6. The crew ascends in the lander, performs rendezvous with the habitat, discards the lander, and sends the habitat/crew vehicle stack back to EML2.

7. The crew vehicle/habitat loiters at EML2 for as much time as necessary to simulate transit from Mars to Earth.

8. The crew vehicle/habitat performs TEI. The crew vehicle returns to Earth as the habitat is discarded.

The objectives of such a program would be to:

- Characterise human reaction to the BEO and planetary surface radiation environment for simulated Mars transit durations.

- Characterise human performance under partial gravity after a simulated Mars transit duration exposed to microgravity.

- Characterise human psychological reaction to the BEO environment for simulated Mars transit durations.

- Build understanding of human spacecraft operation for simulated Mars transit durations.

- Build understanding of construction of large spacecraft in LEO as needed for Mars exploration.

- Build understanding, where applicable, of planetary surface operations from a technical standpoint.

The point behind this idea is that it answers the key issues of Martian exploration. It answers the duration and radiation issues, it answers the psychological issues. It answers the microgravity issues. It can be used to further knowledge of surface operations, in tandem with efforts on Earth and Mars itself. The final issue will then be the technical one of landing and taking off from Mars, and this can be answered various ways as well.

And all the while it enables surface science on the Moon.

Constellation pushed no boundaries. It was just an attempt to recreate the paradigm of the Apollo program, with the eventual purpose of creating a lunar base. It is key to push boundaries to accomplish the difficult goals, instead of only the easier ones.

Last edited:

HopDavid

Hop David
Reaction score
Website
clowder.net
Also, your Africa graphic is really cute, but you keep posting it even after I have explained why it does not make sense: If I am in a part of Africa with no diamonds, it sure doesn't help that there are diamonds somewhere else.

Two separate arguments here:

The Lunar Ice Is Localized. So are African diamonds. Doesn't mean they're worthless. The graphic addresses this specific argument.

The Moon Is Remote. So is Mars. So are the asteroids. In fact they're much more remote than the moon. This argument strongly favors the moon.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My point is that African diamonds are considerably less valuable when they are not in your useful vicinity.

The difference between me advocating Mars and you advocating the Moon is that I haven't tried to suggest that a Mars mission would have to be a profitable enterprise.

If lunar resources are considerably more expensive than resources from Earth (which is likely), then they make absolutely no sense to utilise.

I'm not suggesting utilising Martian resources for anything in cis-lunar or interplanetary space, either. It faces all the problems that lunar resource utilisation does, but worse. Even if you consider a fictional reality where the infrastructure is magically extensive, it is difficult to justify.

Last edited:

HopDavid

Hop David
Reaction score
Website
clowder.net
Mars ISRU and lunar ISRU differ totally, unless you are talking about mining Martian water ice, in which case they differ, but less so.

Mars advocates argue CO2 atmosphere ISRU is possible without hard rock mining.

While this argument favors Mars for brief stays, it doesn't work for a permanent stay.

A permanent Mars presence would need hard rock mining to use local ice, and metals.

For prolonged stays on either the Moon or Mars you would need to mine ice.

My point is that African diamonds are considerably less valuable when they are not in your useful vicinity.

The difference between me advocating Mars and you advocating the Moon is that I haven't tried to suggest that a Mars mission would have to be a profitable enterprise.

Now we have 3 separate arguments:

The Lunar Ice Is Localized. So are African diamonds. Doesn't mean they're worthless. The Africa graphic addresses this specific argument.

The Moon Is Remote. So is Mars. So are the asteroids. In fact they're much more remote than the moon. This argument strongly favors the moon.

The Moon Can't Achieve ROI.
1) The expense of a base remains an open question. Lunar propellant could facilitate transportation in the earth neighborhood every where from LEO to SEL1 and 2. It could also facilitate transportation to deep space destinations such as NEO and Mars. Could smaller, simpler, reusable vehicles achieve a savings that would pay for a lunar base? Again an open question, but in my opinion this is a good bet.
2) You contend Mars doesn't need to achieve ROI because it's a pure scientific destination. Well, the moon is also a good scientific destination. But, unlike Mars, the moon has possible exports that could mitigate the expense, if not completely cover them. Whether moon or Mars, a permanent stay would need trade and ROI to sustain financing. A permanent stay on Mars is much less plausible than a permanent moon base.

If we're going to other bodies for flags and footprints or very brief stays, the expense of human spaceflight is not worth it, in my opinion. Robotic space exploration will give you much more bang for the buck.

If our human space flight program could lead to expanding available resources, that is a different story. As a taxpayer, I would support a human space flight program with this goal.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Mars advocates argue CO2 atmosphere ISRU is possible without hard rock mining.

While this argument favors Mars for brief stays, it doesn't work for a permanent stay.

A permanent Mars presence would need hard rock mining to use local ice, and metals.

For prolonged stays on either the Moon or Mars you would need to mine ice.

I should sure hope that CO2 ISRU is possible by utilising the atmosphere. After all, that's where the CO2 is.

You insist that you need to mine metals on Mars for a "permanent presence". I'm definitely not going to take your word for this, because it doesn't make sense.

Mining of ice on Mars can be tested on Mars, you don't need a lunar program for that. Conditions on Mars are also different from conditions on the Moon.

And another issue: 210 ppm of the Martian atmosphere is water vapour. If you can concentrate the atmosphere and distill it, you might not need to mine ice, at least in some situations.

My point is that it is preferable to get to Mars and then learn how to live there, rather than dubiously learn how to live on Mars by learning to live on the Moon and not getting anywhere else.

The Lunar Ice Is Localized. So are African diamonds. Doesn't mean they're worthless. The Africa graphic addresses this specific argument.

:beathead:

I've answered this multiple times already, and I'm tired of doing it again and again.

There's a difference between "worthless" and "worth less". We have water in Africa. Where I live, there is water. But in the Sahara, there is very little water. My point is that you can't generalise and equate something that exists everywhere with something that is localised.

I have explained my reasoning behind this as well. Multiple times.

The Moon is remote, which presents a problem for a lunar water ice mining venture. But since a Mars program is a totally different thing (has nothing to do with turning a profit), the fact that Mars is remote (and indeed more remote than the Moon) does not matter.

Two different arguments entirely. Please realise that. I've never denied that Mars makes no sense whatsoever as a source of resources to export elsewhere in space, for exactly the reason of its remote nature.

1) The expense of a base remains an open question. Lunar propellant could facilitate transportation in the earth neighborhood every where from LEO to SEL1 and 2. It could also facilitate transportation to deep space destinations such as NEO and Mars. Could smaller, simpler, reusable vehicles achieve a savings that would pay for a lunar base? Again an open question, but in my opinion this is a good bet.

You misunderstand the engineering problems involved. I've already explained that your "smaller, simpler, reusable vehicles" will be:

1. Very similar technologically to upper stages, and have comparable capabilities.

2. More complex as they will need to spend extended periods of time in space without considerable refurbishment or repair.

"Smaller, simpler, reusable" is a buzzword in this case. You don't actually go into the details of what these vehicles will have to endure.

Furthermore, you don't go into the details of what will be required by the lunar propellant factory. You admit this, but you also assume that it will be cheaper than the alternative.

2) You contend Mars doesn't need to achieve ROI because it's a pure scientific destination. Well, the moon is also a good scientific destination. But, unlike Mars, the moon has possible exports that could mitigate the expense, if not completely cover them. Whether moon or Mars, a permanent stay would need trade and ROI to sustain financing. A permanent stay on Mars is much less plausible than a permanent moon base.

Mars is a more valuable scientific destination than the Moon, and your justification relies on a dubious possibility. I don't try to look for ways to make Mars give an ROI, because it would just be a waste of time.

You insist that a permanent presence would require "trade and ROI". Yet the ISS hosts a permanent human presence and doesn't do either of those things.

If we're going to other bodies for flags and footprints or very brief stays, the expense of human spaceflight is not worth it, in my opinion. Robotic space exploration will give you much more bang for the buck.

That is debatable. To end the "science for your money" argument forever, I advocate sending a simulated Mars rover and Mars mission team to the Atacama for respective simulated missions, for simulated mission durations and simulated scientific goals. And then creating cost asessments for those two simulated missions.

If our human space flight program could lead to expanding available resources, that is a different story. As a taxpayer, I would support a human space flight program with this goal.

The problem with "expanding available resources" is that it is a really romantic concept, but not necessarily one that is actually viable.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
To summarize the thread with a lot of ignorance from my side:

As long as African diamonds are so cheap, we won't search on the moon for them.

HopDavid

Hop David
Reaction score
Website
clowder.net
:beathead:

Nice. How impressive. Can you do face palms?

I've answered this multiple times already,

You way of answering is to try morph one argument into another argument.

It's Localized! morphs into It's Remote! which morphs into You Can't achieve ROI!.

I have dealt with the first two. Now we're discussing ROI.

I've never denied that Mars makes no sense whatsoever as a source of resources to export elsewhere in space, for exactly the reason of its remote nature.

Are you talking about a very brief stay? As I mentioned I don't favor that.

An extended stay is not plausible if there's no return on investment. A future Lyndon Johnson/Richard Nixon will look at the Mars budget and say "$50 billion each 2.14 years? No ROI? It'd be nice if we weren't having a budget crunch." and it would be canceled deader than Apollo. I'd give a Mars architecture 5 election cycles tops. Best case scenario: After 20 years and 500 billion dollars we'd have a half dozen abandoned Martian habs gathering dust.

You misunderstand the engineering problems involved. I've already explained that your "smaller, simpler, reusable vehicles" will be:

1. Very similar technologically to upper stages, and have comparable capabilities.

They would be upper stages. And yes, they'd have capabilities of around 5 km/s.

For some of these proposed tanker vehicles search for ACES in this ULA document.

2. More complex as they will need to spend extended periods of time in space without considerable refurbishment or repair.

Their need for repair would be much less than an Earth to LEO RLV.

You don't have the extreme 8 km/s atmospheric abuse.

5 km/s allows single stage rockets. You don't need to recover multiple stages and reattach them to one another. Single stage RLVs with a 5 km/s delta V budget can be much simpler than multiple stage RLVs with a 10 km/s delta V budget.

RL-10 rocket engines are very reliable work horses. If the ULA folks think they're good for many burns, I find that credible.

Furthermore, you don't go into the details of what will be required by the lunar propellant factory. You admit this, but you also assume that it will be cheaper than the alternative.

I have already posted the ULA lunar architecture. It does outline how a steady propellant depot throughput could provide the needed steady high flight rate to commercial space. This alone would kickstart a new paradigm. This was written before Chandrayaan-1 and LRO/LCROSS found evidence of lunar ice, so it doesn't discuss lunar ISRU. But lunar ISRU propellant would considerably simplify the demands of lunar ascent/lander vehicles.

Paul Spudis and Tony Lavoie have written a proposal for a lunar base exploiting ISRU lunar volatiles.

Have you heard of Bill Stone? He has been a pioneer in the ROVs used for ocean exploration. He describes his plans for a lunar propellant mine in this Space.com interview.

Another proponent of lunar propellant mining is Greg Baiden. Baiden is a mining engineer who done work developing telerobotics for earth mines. Here is a Space Show interview with Baiden.

Mars is a more valuable scientific destination than the Moon

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way." -- Bertrand Russell

This certainly seems like such a controversy. How do you quantify scientific interest?

I have pointed out the moon's surface and cold traps can be an excellent historical record of our solar system. I've also pointed to lunar enigmas that haven't been answered.

Who's to say the moon has less to teach us? Until you figure a way to quantify scientific iterest, this argument has no meaning.

You insist that a permanent presence would require "trade and ROI". Yet the ISS hosts a permanent human presence and doesn't do either of those things.

A LEO hab is orders of magnitude less challenging than a Mars base. Your proposal would be much more expensive and therefore more vulnerable to the scrutiny of budget cutting congressmen.

Also the I.S.S. has had a human presence for 11 years. Whether I.S.S. operation will continue past 2020 remains an open question.

If the ultimate goal of I.S.S. is just hang around in LEO, I would favor eventually de-orbiting it.

The problem with "expanding available resources" is that it is a really romantic concept, but not necessarily one that is actually viable.

Tom Murphy has an interesting blog: Do the Math. Using physics and estimation to assess energy, growth, options. He illustrates limits to growth imposed by finite resources. We can enjoy economic growth by using ingenuity to make better use of our resources. But he shows thermodynamics imposes limits on this growth also.

Confined to this planet, we'll eventually slide into the flat part of the logistic growth curve. Both for population as well as economic growth.

We still haven't made full use of earth's wastelands nor the seafloors, so this will take awhile. But it will come. We would be confined to a null sum game.

Jeff Greason notes frontiers offer us the option of escaping the null sum game. (He starts talking about frontiers around 13.24).

In my opinion this goal is the only one that justifies the very high expense of human space flight. If it can't be achieved, better not to waste the money on human space flight.

Jeff Greason also advocates going after lunar propellant.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

To summarize the thread with a lot of ignorance from my side:

As long as African diamonds are so cheap, we won't search on the moon for them.

To understand the thread you will need to invest some time and effort.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You way of answering is to try morph one argument into another argument.

It's Localized! morphs into It's Remote! which morphs into You Can't achieve ROI!.

I have dealt with the first two. Now we're discussing ROI.

No, you don't get it at all. "It's localised" means that it doesn't cover the entire surface, which means that if you happen to want to visit a place on the Moon that isn't at the site of those localised deposits, they are less valuable to what you want to do.

There, now we've dealt with that.

Are you talking about a very brief stay? As I mentioned I don't favor that.

Neither do I. I haven't been trying to imply a "very brief stay" anywhere here.

An extended stay is not plausible if there's no return on investment. A future Lyndon Johnson/Richard Nixon will look at the Mars budget and say "$50 billion each 2.14 years? No ROI? It'd be nice if we weren't having a budget crunch." and it would be canceled deader than Apollo. I'd give a Mars architecture 5 election cycles tops. Best case scenario: After 20 years and 500 billion dollars we'd have a half dozen abandoned Martian habs gathering dust.

I don't know where you get the "$50 billion every mission" figure from. Most of the cost will be in terms of development, after that (once the hardware is developed and a production line is in place) the yearly cost would be considerably less (still in the billions, but hopefully not much different to the cost of spaceflight that the US has dealt with in the past 30 years).

They would be upper stages. And yes, they'd have capabilities of around 5 km/s.

Exactly, so they won't be smaller.

Their need for repair would be much less than an Earth to LEO RLV.

You don't have the extreme 8 km/s atmospheric abuse.

"extreme 8 km/s atmospheric abuse" sounds like the title of a cheap B-movie with a very odd subject matter.

You don't seem wish to understand the actual engineering difficulty that goes on there. I should note that you need not have a TPS as fragile as that on the Shuttle.

Also, the major work that needed to be done on the Shuttle TPS was (if I recall correctly) mostly to repair damage caused by debris strikes on-orbit and during launch. While that has to do with the reentry system, it isn't necessarily caused by the reentry itself.

5 km/s allows single stage rockets. You don't need to recover multiple stages and reattach them to one another. Single stage RLVs are much simpler than multiple stage RLVs.

I really do wonder how much stacking a vehicle costs in the grand scheme of things. :hmm:

RL-10 rocket engines are very reliable work horses. If the ULA folks think they're good for many burns, I find that credible.

Indeed they are reliable engines, but working for years on end, in space, with tens of firings seperated by days and weeks of dormancy? As credible as the claims may be, that remains to be seen.

But the more pressing issue (from a credibility standpoint) is the overall cost when all of these long-term use systems are considered.

Propellant depots and commercial space don't require the Moon.

Or perhaps more appropriately: propellant depots and commercial space don't require you to fixate on the Moon and totally forget everything else.

Oh, a bunch of enthusiastic proponents have ideas for things. I'm not convinced, Zubrin is an enthusiastic proponent as well.

The Bill Stone interview to me contains a lot of the usual optimistic "space nonsense" plans that are spoken of and then collapse. No details, no program cost, nothing. Just rhetoric.

I've looked at the Spudis paper. At the end I believe he gives a total cost of 87.1 billion dollars. If we assume 150 tons of propellant produced per year for 20 years with a total program cost of ~87 billion, and that all of this propellant is sold as 'product', this comes down to a cost of ~$29 000/kg for propellant.

However, a Delta IV Heavy at a high cost of $260 million and with a propellant tanker costing a whole $100 million as payload (and 0.9 of total 22 ton payload capacity as propellant), cost to LEO of propellant would be around $18 200/kg; 10 800 dollars per kilogram less. And cheaper launch vehicles exist.

This certainly seems like such a controversy. How do you quantify scientific interest?

I have pointed out the moon's surface and cold traps can be an excellent historical record of our solar system. I've also pointed to lunar enigmas that can't be answered.

Who's to say the moon has less to teach us? Until you figure a way to quantify scientific iterest, this argument has no meaning.

Mars is a richer environment. It has a richer history. It has things going on on its surface and in its surface that don't happen on the Moon or Earth (or are interesting parallels of both).

The lunar cold traps are not necessarily pristine as they can be exposed to ejecta from elsewhere on the Moon as well as bombardment by other objects in the inner solar system.

And "lunar enigmas that can't be answered" are no reason to abandon Mars.

You also seem to believe that Mars science to help answer questions about the origin of life and its potential existence elsewhere in the universe would have to have the successful objective of discovering life on Mars, while this is not the case. I wouldn't take that as an authority on the "differing values of science" or even justified lack thereof.

A LEO hab is orders of magnitude less challenging than a Mars base. Your proposal would be much more expensive and therefore more vulnerable to the scrutiny of budget cutting congressmen.

You insist it must be so, but this is not necessarily the case.

Also the I.S.S. has had a human presence for 11 years. Whether I.S.S. operation will continue past 2020 remains an open question.

If the ultimate goal of I.S.S. is just hang around in LEO, I would favor eventually de-orbiting it.

I recently questioned the scientific and technological value of the ISS on this forum. I won't bother trying to explain it here, others managed just fine to enlighten me on the matter and they'd be able to explain it better than I can.

Tom Murphy has an interesting blog: Do the Math. Using physics and estimation to assess energy, growth, options. He illustrates limits to growth imposed by finite resources. We can enjoy economic growth by using ingenuity to make better use of our resources. But he shows thermodynamics imposes limits on this growth also.

Confined to this planet, we'll eventually slide into the flat part of the logistic growth curve. Both for population as well as economic growth.

We still haven't made full use of earth's wastelands nor the seafloors, so this will take awhile. But it will come. We would be confined to a null sum game.

Jeff Greason notes frontiers offer us the option of escaping the null sum game. (He starts talking about frontiers around 13.24).

In my opinion this goal is the only one that justifies the very high expense of human space flight. If it can't be achieved, better not to waste the money on human space flight.

Standard space advocate rhetoric. What is not understood, of course, is the fact that space is an extremely poor environment compared to the Earth and thus not suitable for profitable future growth barring something unknown and nigh-miraculous.

We need to establish a stable population that is invested in highly, sustainable infrastructure, and an economic system that does not eventually swallow the entire Universe (how the latter would work, I have no clue). But the point is: if your economy and population start to cause trouble with math, you don't try to fix math, you try to fix the economy and the population.

Space advocates constantly understimate the difficulty of spaceflight and the poor returns to be had. If human spaceflight truely was so beneficial, there would be immense interest in it from many areas. But in reality, that just isn't the case. We see some enthusiastic people (like Elon Musk) advocating things ferociously. Howard Hughes also wanted to build a gigantic flying boat, that doesn't mean it would have been a viable idea. I have dreams of visiting the rings of Saturn, but that doesn't mean doing so would benefit anyone.

I guess the point of dreams is that they don't have to be logical, and rational... but that is also why they must be kept in a special place, alongside, if not totally apart from reality.

Last edited:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Im sorry to say this but things are going to only get worse here on earth. Many people say we need to devlop a stable population. But unfortantely we are divided into many political unions most of which dont have the capability to enforce population control. Building quality infrastructure around the world is even harder than population control. We need to get off earth it is undeniable.

HopDavid

Hop David
Reaction score
Website
clowder.net
No, you don't get it at all. "It's localised" means that it doesn't cover the entire surface, which means that if you happen to want to visit a place on the Moon that isn't at the site of those localised deposits, they are less valuable to what you want to do.

Since I'm not calling for lunar bases on the equator, this remains pointless.

The ice at the poles remains a valuable resource for potential polar bases.

I don't know where you get the "$50 billion every mission" figure from. Most of the cost will be in terms of development, after that (once the hardware is developed and a production line is in place) the yearly cost would be considerably less (still in the billions, but hopefully not much different to the cost of spaceflight that the US has dealt with in the past 30 years).

With the launch and development expenses, Apollo took about $10 billion a launch. For mainstream Mars architectures, we'd have 4 or 5 HLV launches each launch window. I've seen you cite Grant Bonin's architecture. But this has it's own problems. And I see no evidence any of the major players are considering it.

Also an MTV must keep passengers alive for 6 to 8 months. Without regular supply and maintenance trips from earth. In a radiation environment far harsher than I.S.S. In many ways we're talking about a space hab more ambitious than I.S.S. I.S.S. cost $100 billion. And we're talking about making and lofting an MTV each 2.14 years.

Same goes for the ERV. Unless you use a semi-direct approach that uses the same vehicle for the MTV and ERV. In which case the vehicle you're throwing away each years is even more ambitious.

Exactly, so they won't be smaller.

Compared to tankers launched from earth's surface?!

From earth's surface to LEO is about 9 to 10 km/s. Most BLEO destinations are 13 to 14 km/s or more.

Here is the rocket equation:
(propellant mass + dry mass) / (dry mass) = edV/Vexhaust

Hydrogen and oxygen have an exhaust velocity of 4.4 km/s. 3/4.4 is about ln(2). So each 3 km/s added to your delta V budget doubles lift off mass.

In other words each 3 km/s is like a square on this chess board:
Rice.jpg

And for the lower stages of a vehicle leaving earth's surface, you need high thrust to mitigate gravity loss. So kerosene is a better fuel than hydrogen. This makes the mass ratios even worse.

Given propellant deliveries of comparable mass, a 14 km/s propellant tanker is much bigger than a tanker that only needs to achieve 5 km/s.

"extreme 8 km/s atmospheric abuse" sounds like the title of a cheap B-movie with a very odd subject matter.

S-M movies are at the forefront of your mind. Therefore 8 km/s is trivial. Okay.

I've already cited credible engineers saying re-entry is a formidable problem. The most credible counter-argument you've offered is Alan Bond's rocket which has never flown. And I believe even Alan Bond would tell you 8 km/s re-entry is a non-trivial engineering challenge.

Propellant depots and commercial space don't require the Moon.

LEO propellant depots need steady throughput. Commercial space needs a market allowing a steady, high flight rate.

An architecture constrained to 2.14 launch windows offers neither.

Or perhaps more appropriately: propellant depots and commercial space don't require you to fixate on the Moon and totally forget everything else.

Lunar propellant at EML1 would drastically cut round trip delta V for NEO bound vehicles.

From earth's surface a round trip to an NEO would be 14 km/s plus extreme re-entry abuse. From EML1 the same round trip could be around 2 km/s -- about the delta V budget of SS1.

Most of the solar system's available surface area and resources are in the small bodies. That the EML1 "Golden Spike" could enable economical transportation to NEOs is my chief reason for wanting lunar and EML1 infrastructure.

So I'm chiefly fixated on the asteroids, not the moon.

Oh, a bunch of enthusiastic proponents

Most of these enthusiastic proponents have track records. Unlike you.

I've looked at the Spudis paper. At the end I believe he gives a total cost of 87.1 billion dollars. If we assume 150 tons of propellant produced per year for 20 years with a total program cost of ~87 billion, and that all of this propellant is sold as 'product', this comes down to a cost of ~$29 000/kg for propellant.

Spudis is proposing a demo here. Initially lunar ISRU would mitigate transportation and life support expenses for a lunar base. After these expenses are reduced and R & D has developed working mining equipment, the next 1000 tonnes would cost less.

The lunar cold traps are not necessarily pristine as they can be exposed to ejecta from elsewhere on the Moon as well as bombardment by other objects in the inner solar system.

The crater walls intercept some of the ejecta. Also the accumulating ice layers give protection other parts of the lunar surface don't enjoy. Many meteors arise when we pass through a comet's path. Both the earth's velocity vector and most the cometary debris velocity vectors lie roughly in the ecliptic plane. The normal to the polar surface is also normal to the ecliptic plane. Flux of a vector field through a surface is dot product of vectors with surface normal. So I would expect meteorite flux in the higher latitudes to be lower than the higher latitudes.

Even with ejecta and meteorite impacts, the moon is still a far better historical record than Mars. Mars' recently active geology and weather have erased many of the older events.

And "lunar enigmas that can't be answered" are no reason to abandon Mars.

100 billion could achieve a sustained human presence on the moon, along with substantial infrastructure. For Mars 100 billion could accomplish a very brief stay. What you get for the money is a good reason to abandon Mars.

You insist it must be so,

Not because I insist it be so.
I.S.S. vs Mars
Delta V to LEO 9 km/s
Delta V to Mars 13 km/s
Trip time to LEO: hours
Trip time to Mars: 8 months
Launch Windows to I.S.S.: every day
Launch Windows to Mars: each 2.14 years.
Light lag to I.S.S.: less than a second
Light lag to Mars: 10 to 50 minutes

There are also EDL problems when you want to land massive payloads on Mars:
ZubrinFairy.jpg

Sorry, building infrastructure on Mars is a little harder than building in LEO.

It's that "remote" thing you like to bring up.

What is not understood, of course, is the fact that space is an extremely poor environment compared to the Earth and thus not suitable for profitable future growth barring something unknown and nigh-miraculous.

Earth industry is already advancing telerobotics. As easily exploited resources and ore bodies are used up, we will move to the wastelands and sea floors. When we start seriously exploiting the ocean floors, I expect telerobotics to advance even more rapidly.

So we don't have to rely on NASA's budget to improve this technology.

The movie industry is advancing the state of art for motion capture. For example Mike Myers wears motion capture sensors to operate the virtual puppet we call Shrek. Wii and Kinect have brought motion capture to computer gaming. It looks like the entertainment industry is driving motion capture improvements (which can be used to operate telerobots).

Big Dog [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww]Big Dog[/ame] and Google Cars demonstrate balance and collision avoidance technologies that can mitigate slow reaction time the 3 second lunar light lag imposes.

And as I've already mentioned, propellant depots at various locations would make transportation much more economical.

I believe you have written a premature obituary for space industry.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since I'm not calling for lunar bases on the equator, this remains pointless.

The ice at the poles remains a valuable resource for potential polar bases.

Maybe I am. Maybe there is something of scientific or technological value elsewhere.

That said, I agree. The poles are likely the most interesting single location on the Moon.

With the launch and development expenses, Apollo took about $10 billion a launch.

Apollo was massively expensive. Saturn was a massively expensive vehicle, modern vehicles are not that expensive.

For mainstream Mars architectures, we'd have 4 or 5 HLV launches each launch window. I've seen you cite Grant Bonin's architecture. But this has it's own problems. And I see no evidence any of the major players are considering it.

Oh really. What are these problems, might I ask? :dry:

Of course nobody is considering it, everyone is caught up in the HLV pork frenzy. Nobody is even seriously considering a proper Mars architecture at this point, certainly not a viable or sustainable one.

I currently cannot see what, if any, plans there are for a human landing on Mars with SLS and Orion. If I understand correctly, the ultimate goal seems to be a mission to Mars orbit, a considerably less challenging goal than a trip to the Martian surface. It is like castrated exploration.

Also an MTV must keep passengers alive for 6 to 8 months. Without regular supply and maintenance trips from earth. In a radiation environment far harsher than I.S.S. In many ways we're talking about a space hab more ambitious than I.S.S. I.S.S. cost $100 billion. And we're talking about making and lofting an MTV each 2.14 years.

No, you don't understand the relationship of what an MTV is and what the ISS is. The ISS is a full-out orbital lab, it has an absolutely huge pressurised environment and an absolutely huge power source.

The MTV is a vehicle that can get a few people to Mars, and then back from Mars. The actual, human, habitable part of it is far less extensive than the ISS, and thus cannot be compared to the entire ISS in cost.

The ISS also had launch delays and was brought up by an expensive vehicle (STS).

And while the BEO radiation environment must not be underestimated, I fear you don't try to understand the direct impact on engineering that it has. It isn't that simple in reality, but you could go as far as to just equate radiation shielding with... blocks of plastic.

Same goes for the ERV. Unless you use a semi-direct approach that uses the same vehicle for the MTV and ERV. In which case the vehicle you're throwing away each years is even more ambitious.

May be better if they aren't the same vehicle. Hab is lighter if it doesn't need to aerobrake and land on Mars, ERV is lighter if it doesn't have hab stuff within it... you get various knock-on effects, etc.

Given propellant deliveries of comparable mass, a 14 km/s propellant tanker is much bigger than a tanker that only needs to achieve 5 km/s.

Haven't you heard about staging? It is a really interesting concept, I believe it was developed around the time of the turn of the last century, by a guy by the name of Tsiolkovsky...

Also, your first stage does not need to be kerolox, as the Delta IV demonstrates. With RS-68A engines it ends up getting payload performance in a vaguely similar range to Atlas V Heavy. But launchers have been using kerolox (in whole or in part) for decades and it isn't really a problem, despite the lower impulse.

S-M movies are at the forefront of your mind. Therefore 8 km/s is trivial. Okay.

You fail to differentiate between propulsive braking and aerobraking. Have I explained the difference before?

I've already cited credible engineers saying re-entry is a formidable problem. The most credible counter-argument you've offered is Alan Bond's rocket which has never flown. And I believe even Alan Bond would tell you 8 km/s re-entry is a non-trivial engineering challenge.

"Formidable" is not "impossible horror engineering".

Also, I would not criticise Alan Bond and his 'paper rocket'. Mr Bond and his team are both more qualified and more knowledgeable about their concept than either of us are.

Also: I have not seen people crying about Skylon's heat shield, and saying it's impossible.

LEO propellant depots need steady throughput. Commercial space needs a market allowing a steady, high flight rate.

An architecture constrained to 2.14 launch windows offers neither.

Sure it does, I can't see any reason for it other than your insistence on the matter, and I haven't seen anyone else use similar arguments.

So I'm chiefly fixated on the asteroids, not the moon.

It would seem otherwise based on what you're saying here.

"Reduced dV" does not matter if propellant is dramatically more expensive.

Most of these enthusiastic proponents have track records. Unlike you.

Zubrin has a track record too...

Spudis is proposing a demo here. Initially lunar ISRU would mitigate transportation and life support expenses for a lunar base. After these expenses are reduced and R & D has developed working mining equipment, the next 1000 tonnes would cost less.

You have to factor the cost of this "demo" into the total cost. You have to factor the R&D cost into the total cost. Expanding on that lunar capability would cost even more.

The crater walls intercept some of the ejecta. Also the accumulating ice layers give protection other parts of the lunar surface don't enjoy. Many meteors arise when we pass through a comet's path. Both the earth's velocity vector and most the cometary debris velocity vectors lie roughly in the ecliptic plane. The normal to the polar surface is also normal to the ecliptic plane. Flux of a vector field through a surface is dot product of vectors with surface normal. So I would expect meteorite flux in the higher latitudes to be lower than the higher latitudes.

Got any source that states that impact flux is lower at the highest latitudes?

Even with ejecta and meteorite impacts, the moon is still a far better historical record than Mars. Mars' recently active geology and weather have erased many of the older events.

You display a lack of knowledge about aereology. Portions of old crust do exist on Mars, even some of the younger crust is quite old by standards on Earth and has not been interfered with in the same way (Martian weather is not Earth weather).

Also, the record of what is what differs between the Moon and Mars. A lot of things that occured on Mars didn't occur on the Moon.

But they did, however, occur on Earth as well. Or at least similar things occured. That makes them interesting.

Not because I insist it be so.
I.S.S. vs Mars
Delta V to LEO 9 km/s
Delta V to Mars 13 km/s
Trip time to LEO: hours
Trip time to Mars: 8 months
Launch Windows to I.S.S.: every day
Launch Windows to Mars: each 2.14 years.
Light lag to I.S.S.: less than a second
Light lag to Mars: 10 to 50 minutes

That specific physics is not everything, and you take a very simplistic view of the forces involved that make operations difficult.

Sorry, building infrastructure on Mars is a little harder than building in LEO.

Harder, yes. By how much, I really am not going to take your word for. :dry:

Earth industry is already advancing telerobotics. As easily exploited resources and ore bodies are used up, we will move to the wastelands and sea floors. When we start seriously exploiting the ocean floors, I expect telerobotics to advance even more rapidly.

So we don't have to rely on NASA's budget to improve this technology.

The movie industry is advancing the state of art for motion capture. For example Mike Myers wears motion capture sensors to operate the virtual puppet we call Shrek. Wii and Kinect have brought motion capture to computer gaming. It looks like the entertainment industry is driving motion capture improvements (which can be used to operate telerobots).

You speak of telerobotics as if they're some sort of wonder technology.

I think telerobotics are very interesting and very useful. But wonder technology does not exist in reality.

Do you actually know how much it would cost to construct a lunar telerobot? To actually have the facilities to operate it? How much it would cost to get a qualified person to operate it? It is not trivial.

And as I've already mentioned, propellant depots at various locations would make transportation much more economical.

Oh no, I'm not denying that. There are a lot of physics advantages to it. The problem is when you try to ship propellant from a wilderness location and handwave away the difficulty of actually obtaining that propellant usefully.

See Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design;

Law #8;
In nature, the optimum is almost always in the middle somewhere. Distrust assertions that the optimum is at an extreme point.

I believe you have written a premature obituary for space industry.

Because the Magical Space Science Fiction Dream Future hasn't occured yet, even though we've been promised it for 50 years and it hasn't occured yet and doesn't look like it will? :dry:

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
A hundred a fifty years ago most of the population believed we'd never fly. It wasn't so many years ago that credible scientists were positive the human body couldn't survive going a mile a minute.

Things aren't exactly cyclic, but seem to resemble a spiral if perceived correctly. I'm optimistic that before my kids are grandparents we'll see the Space Industry on an ascendant curve again.

I think moving away from corporate welfare and no-bid contracts will certainly help.

(This has been an inane attempt to move this thread back towards its title.)