Discussion The next 100 years..

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The only reason space gets all sorts of attention and such Earthbound places do not, is because we've cultured the idea in our heads that space is cooler. Now, a super-turbo-atomic-ramjet-powered-flying-car is far cooler than your average Toyota Corolla, but the latter is also far more practical.

But no revolutionary tech is ever going to come out of your average Toyota Corolla.

Your hamster doesn't spend billions of dollars.

I hope.

From his points of view, the effort is surely considerable: when you're a small animal about 10cm in length and you decide to go out of the safety of your cage to explore even though your senses tell you there's nothing to be gained out there (in food terms, we're smart enough to keep it away from The Chewer) and after that you go back to your cage of your own will, it is some use of resources which could have been better spent doing nothing.

So just because a sum of money is small, means it is suitable to waste?

By the Mark of Samael, I'm telling you that you can save more by shutting off stuff that is really wasting MORE money. Research money is never wasted (unless you're studying mountain dwarf hippos of the Northern Graubunden).

One thing that annoys me about your statements is that you propose that somehow, no matter what, something will come around to embezzle all funding for practical projects, but always leave spaceflight untouched.

Because that's my experience: no matter what, your budget will go to pork first, and useful stuff later.

I am sure many Americans can testify that several civil services are constantly losing capability due to budget cuts. Granted, that is more about the current economic climate than anything else, but it is still telling.

Yeah, and many Swiss are experiencing the same even though we have a surplus, no manned space program and no huge military expenditures. We should be living in Paradise, shouldn't we? Not the case.

The US is able to project its force globally in a way that no nation can currently match.

Yeah, we're seeing the results. Mind you, NATO has way let me down. We should outsource military matters to Israel.

I know about space-based solar power, you know about space-based solar power, there are also people who do not.

Hello? Space enthusiasts' forum here! This is not Slashdot. This is not Digg or 4Chan. 90% of the guys and girls here know their stuff and if they don't, they research it. We're not the 8 o'clock news anchor pod people who can't tell a Shuttle's external tank from the cute alien from the Spielberg movie with the flying bicycles and the guns that turn into walkie-talkies. I'm not discussing the difficulties of lifting stuff into orbit: I know it some, and you know it better. But we don't give up on stuff because it's hard.

For example to lift a 400 000 ton mass to GEO at current (Proton) costs would cost $7.3trillion. If a powerplant that supplies only a fraction of a nation's energy needs costs half the US national debt, then it probably isn't a viable concept.

Why should we send the whole thing up in one piece? I'm no energy guru here but I strongly believe that even a large investment into a good, high-output renewable energy source that can cut your dependence from fossils and fissionables forever will pay for itself in the long time.
Don't remember the specs, but wouldn't a 1 square km worth of panels be enough to supply at least half or more the energy used by the US and Canada? In terms of savings on oil imports, coal mining and so on wouldn't it pay off big time?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But no revolutionary tech is ever going to come out of your average Toyota Corolla.

That isn't necessarily true, after all, a modern Toyota Corolla might have little gizmos and plastics and electronics and engine fine-tuning in it, that a car of 10, 20 years ago wouldn't have had.

The difference of course is that the super hydro turbo atomic car is impractical, while the Toyota Corolla is practical.

From his points of view, the effort is surely considerable: when you're a small animal about 10cm in length and you decide to go out of the safety of your cage to explore even though your senses tell you there's nothing to be gained out there (in food terms, we're smart enough to keep it away from The Chewer) and after that you go back to your cage of your own will, it is some use of resources which could have been better spent doing nothing.

Arguably for whatever hamsterised reasons for which he would leave his cage and then return, the energy expenditure is not that great.

By the Mark of Samael, I'm telling you that you can save more by shutting off stuff that is really wasting MORE money. Research money is never wasted (unless you're studying mountain dwarf hippos of the Northern Graubunden).

Research money can be wasted, though it is arguably a subjective matter; money spent on studying how to build O'Neill cylinders will likely not help anyone in the world today.

Because that's my experience: no matter what, your budget will go to pork first, and useful stuff later.

Well yes, but how is space exploration excluded from this?

Yeah, and many Swiss are experiencing the same even though we have a surplus, no manned space program and no huge military expenditures. We should be living in Paradise, shouldn't we? Not the case.

Where did I suggest that manned space programs are a bad thing? I only said that they are useless to most people, that is not synonymous with "evil bad exploits".

Hello? Space enthusiasts' forum here! This is not Slashdot. This is not Digg or 4Chan. 90% of the guys and girls here know their stuff and if they don't, they research it. We're not the 8 o'clock news anchor pod people who can't tell a Shuttle's external tank from the cute alien from the Spielberg movie with the flying bicycles and the guns that turn into walkie-talkies. I'm not discussing the difficulties of lifting stuff into orbit: I know it some, and you know it better. But we don't give up on stuff because it's hard.

We don't give up on stuff because it's hard, no. But we should give up on stuff that's hard and doesn't do anything for us. Because, well, it doesn't do anything for us.

Do you really have to criticise me for saying every little thing? Maybe it is even a good idea to go through the advantages of space based solar power, to quantify whether it would be a good investment or not, for example.

Why should we send the whole thing up in one piece? I'm no energy guru here but I strongly believe that even a large investment into a good, high-output renewable energy source that can cut your dependence from fossils and fissionables forever will pay for itself in the long time.

It isn't about sending it up in one piece, it's about sending it up at all. At Proton-like rates, the launch cost will be roughly that amount, whether you build some gigantic Tower Of Babel vehicle, or you send the thing up over a decade. You could get a lower price, sure, but even if you cut it sevenfold... a trillion dollar powerstation? I doubt it.

Don't remember the specs, but wouldn't a 1 square km worth of panels be enough to supply at least half or more the energy used by the US and Canada? In terms of savings on oil imports, coal mining and so on wouldn't it pay off big time?

Well, that's 1 000 000 m^2, the solar flux at Earth's orbit is 1366 watts/m^2, so 1.366 gigawatts are hitting that square... if you have a solar panel efficiency of 30%, that is 410 megawatts electric, and if you have a power transmission system efficiency of 84%, that is around 344 megawatts to the ground.

I'm not sure how much energy the US uses in total, but I think I've read that it is around 4 terawatts. Either way, 344 megawatts isn't going to suddenly solve your power problems. My figure of 2 gigawatts was in comparison to several power stations that are in the 1-2 gigawatt range.

All the costs of coal mining are paid off because coal is profitable. The cost of setting up this powerstation is so large, that it likely either wouldn't be able to turn a profit, it couldn't compete with land-based power systems, or both.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Research money can be wasted, though it is arguably a subjective matter; money spent on studying how to build O'Neill cylinders will likely not help anyone in the world today.

Are you sure? The architectural challenges, the materials and the research into closed ecosystems would come in handy. Of course we could stop all technology advancements (do you really need a smartphone with the power of a hundred Cray supercomputers) and concentrate on helping everybody now - and get absolutely nowhere.

Where did I suggest that manned space programs are a bad thing? I only said that they are useless to most people, that is not synonymous with "evil bad exploits".

Sigh... By the Seal of Metatron here we go again about what's useful or not to most people. I'll repeat it to the end of times, I'm darn happy we're still not basing our research project on what "most people" think is useful, because we wouldn't have gone very far.

We don't give up on stuff because it's hard, no. But we should give up on stuff that's hard and doesn't do anything for us. Because, well, it doesn't do anything for us.

Then ban astronomy: it doesn't do anything for us. Think small, don't dare, and for good measure let's simplify language because most people could be frustrated by some of its complications like grammatical tenses.

Do you really have to criticise me for saying every little thing? Maybe it is even a good idea to go through the advantages of space based solar power, to quantify whether it would be a good investment or not, for example.

Don't worry, as soon as I have time I'll print out the whole exchange on A1-size sheets and then go through it with a handheld microscope, and then I'll criticize you for every little drop of ink that's even remotely out of space.

It isn't about sending it up in one piece, it's about sending it up at all. At Proton-like rates, the launch cost will be roughly that amount, whether you build some gigantic Tower Of Babel vehicle, or you send the thing up over a decade. You could get a lower price, sure, but even if you cut it sevenfold... a trillion dollar powerstation? I doubt it.

I'm not sure how much energy the US uses in total, but I think I've read that it is around 4 terawatts. Either way, 344 megawatts isn't going to suddenly solve your power problems.

Then some research is definitely needed. Coal and oil may be profitable but they're not going to last forever and land-based renewable sources aren't going to solve everything. Solar in particular has big issues when land-based, in my (albeit limited) experience.

Besides, do you really believe we should base everything we do on profitability alone? Because with this kind of mindset try not to be too upset next time BP digs too deep and wakes up Cthulhu.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Are you sure? The architectural challenges, the materials and the research into closed ecosystems would come in handy. Of course we could stop all technology advancements (do you really need a smartphone with the power of a hundred Cray supercomputers) and concentrate on helping everybody now - and get absolutely nowhere.

Sigh... By the Seal of Metatron here we go again about what's useful or not to most people. I'll repeat it to the end of times, I'm darn happy we're still not basing our research project on what "most people" think is useful, because we wouldn't have gone very far.

Then ban astronomy: it doesn't do anything for us. Think small, don't dare, and for good measure let's simplify language because most people could be frustrated by some of its complications like grammatical tenses.

Don't worry, as soon as I have time I'll print out the whole exchange on A1-size sheets and then go through it with a handheld microscope, and then I'll criticize you for every little drop of ink that's even remotely out of space.

I'm not sure how much energy the US uses in total, but I think I've read that it is around 4 terawatts. Either way, 344 megawatts isn't going to suddenly solve your power problems.

Then some research is definitely needed. Coal and oil may be profitable but they're not going to last forever and land-based renewable sources aren't going to solve everything. Solar in particular has big issues when land-based, in my (albeit limited) experience.

Besides, do you really believe we should base everything we do on profitability alone? Because with this kind of mindset try not to be too upset next time BP digs too deep and wakes up Cthulhu.

Now on another note...

Kurzweil has a degree of disdain for the human body, and by suggesting it has "stone-age software", he is remarking that it is a primitive construct... whereas it is an incredibly complex, durable, and capable entity that our current level of technological proficiency is just beginning to understand, let alone replicate or perfectly repair. We are getting there maybe, yes, but that does not make it any less remarkable.

I don't know much about this Kurzweil guy but I'd challenge him to make a better version of human right here and now and see what happens. IMHO it's a very flexible and multi-capable device that is also reliable and robust within more than reasonable limits. And the most incredible thing about it is that it only takes two unskilled workers of opposite gender and 9 months of waiting to make one from a minimum of raw materials.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Or, y'know, we can research structural applications, materials science applications, and environmental control in a way that is actually relevant.

Granted, we could also spend money on simulating military tactics against zombies. It's total nonsense, but it's considerably out of the box.

So just because you think that manned spaceflight is useful, we should spend all sorts of money on it? :facepalm:

But astronomy doesn't cost nearly as much as manned spaceflight. Nor does unmanned spaceflight for that matter. If you want scientific data, manned spaceflight is a pretty poor way to get it, because it's hugely expensive, and only a select few actually care.

Granted, a select few people actually care about astronomy. If manned spaceflight is not immediately useful in any way, maybe you want to research how people might live in space in the far future, for example. But then, is it really justifiable to spend hundreds of billions on such a far-out concept?

But! But! Misplaced ink drops would be the fault of your printer, not me! :(

Coal and Oil are indeed finite, but wind and solar power can supply far more energy than an Earth-bound civilisation is ever likely to need.

Available_Energy-4.png

The only problem is managing to utilise it properly, but on the other hand, that might actually be pretty easy compared to launching and constructing an SPS. In some aspects, anyway.

Generally for something to be a good idea it has to give you a return and not just suck up your resources. And that doesn't matter whether you're a nation, or an entire civilisation, or even an amoeba.

I don't know much about this Kurzweil guy but I'd challenge him to make a better version of human right here and now and see what happens. IMHO it's a very flexible and multi-capable device that is also reliable and robust within more than reasonable limits. And the most incredible thing about it is that it only takes two unskilled workers of opposite gender and 9 months of waiting to make one from a minimum of raw materials.

But! But! But! The Law Of Accelerating Returns!!!1!111!1!!1!!!1!1!1111 Will Allow Us To Implant Power Tools And Telescope Eyes and Super Flying Wings And Bodyboards And Anatomy Enlargements And Automobile Viewplate Cleaning Devices And Heaters And Coolers and Humidifiers and Telephones And Hairbrushes And Television Internet Computer AI Screens And Joysticks And Beverage Containers And Wolfram Alpha And Wikipedia And Clocks And Flashlights And Spring-Powered Legs And Spring-Powered Flapping Hydro-Fins Into The Human Body!

inspectorg4.jpg

What a brilliant idea.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
But! But! Misplaced ink drops would be the fault of your printer, not me! :(

You can't understand a joke without a neon sign upon it?

What a brilliant idea.

And you can't even understand when I agree with you. I hate myself for wasting my time on a futile enterprise such as this debate. Chatting with Eliza Weizenbaum would have been more productive.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can't understand a joke without a neon sign upon it?

I could say the same thing. :p

And you can't even understand when I agree with you. I hate myself for wasting my time on a futile enterprise such as this debate.

I hope you're kidding that I can't understand because if I didn't understand correctly I wouldn't be able to understand why you couldn't understand that I tried to understand.

Or something.

Chatting with Eliza Weizenbaum would have been more productive.

I seriously googled "Eliza Weizenbaum" thinking she was some celebrity, after seeing links to ELIZA and Joseph Weizenbaum. :facepalm:

Victor_D

Reaction score
(bolding in the quoted parts is mine)

In addition everyone who has posited a 'Manifest Destiny In SPACE' scenario here has depicted spaceflight as exploding into usefulness. A gradual expansion would most likely mean shifting into space over hundreds, or perhaps even thousands of years. In that case, even if we are progressing towards a 'Manifest Destiny In SPACE', we wouldn't see many advances within the next 100 years.

Well, duh. Unless we cheat the Universe and somehow crack FTL travel in this century, which I think is extremely unlikely, then yes, humanity's expansion into space is going to take centuries, millennia, millions of years.

I am talking about the near space - Earth orbit, cislunar space, inner Solar system. Saying that it will take thousands of years for us to, say, establish a small settlement on Mars or take a core sample on Mercury (in person) is patently ridiculous. This is the modern era, not the Ancient Egypt or the Dark Ages where progress occurred over such a ridiculously long timespan.

You totally disregard the snowball effect. Once the first barrier to our space expansion falls, things will get moving and with every new success it will accelerate because it will attract more attention and thus investment, both private and public.

Currently the chief obstacle to space development is the ridiculous price of getting mass to LEO. This is not something set in stone, it is a result of decades of government controlled, heavily regulated space launch programmes that are still essentially a by-product of the Cold War ICBMs programmes. Please keep in mind that every launcher in existence has grown directly from some country's military programme - it is true for all the US, Russian, French/European and Chinese launchers. Due to the peculiar nature of the defence industry, the prices of these launchers have always been much higher than they needed to be.

Then came SpaceX and in a few short years, they've demonstrated that if you build a relatively primitive launcher rocket with the existing technology (which has been there for decades) and you do it without getting stuck in the mud of defence contracts and NASA bureaucracy, you can produce something MUCH cheaper.

Now, SpaceX may or may not succeed, although I wish it did. I mentioned it as an example of... let's call it an "enabling asset", something that will help us do more things in space. Currently there are many things that space enthusiasts, entrepreneurs, scientists, and others want to do in space. Vast majority of these things are made impossible by the cost of launching the necessary equipment to space. But, if the price is lowered by half, some of them will become feasible and someone will do them.

The people behind Skylon promise to reduce the cost by an order of magnitude, and this is their realistic baseline scenario. If they deliver on this promise, and so far nobody has demonstrated why they couldn't, Skylon would be an IMMENSELY disruptive technology. One Skylon, if it started operating now, could replace most of today's conventional launchers. 30 Skylons in the 2020s when they're set to be produced and sold to operators will open space to many, many, many more times the investment that's possible today.

Many of the things that are impossible with current prices will be perfectly viable in a decade or two (or three, if you insist on being pessimistic; or four, if you want to be obstinate; any further and you you move to an asylum). The beauty of it is that it creates a positive feedback loop - cheaper space travel stimulates space growth which further drives up the demand for even cheaper space travel. Although there are limits to this you love to remind us of all the time :) , it is perfectly reasonable to say that as the 21st century progresses (and barring any major global disaster), space will become more and more open to human expansion. The challenge of doing things there won't be so formidable any more.

How exactly will this be accomplished is impossible to predict, but the trend points towards the direction I described. It's essentially a repetition of processes which shaped our history, only on a far greater scale. If you insist on using ideologically loaded term like "Manifest Destiny", be my guest. Others have explained why we Europeans don't like it that much.

That would be a very interesting area of development... but why does even that need human supervision? One could argue that such a facility would be entirely or almost entirely automated, which, while leading to a use of the space environment, would not necessarily lead to large amounts of people in space.

Some will be fully automated, some will need to have a crew - you can automate simple processes; however, it's far more difficult to automate a very complicated production process. At some point, especially in space, it starts making sense to just have someone up there who can fix problems that would need very complicated solutions if you insisted on full automation. In other words, the cost of automating a very complicated process becomes greater than the cost of maintaining a permanent crew. Other facilities - labs, space hotels - need human crew by definition.

Having these facilities in orbit is just one step on the way I described.

Let's say, now we have a small manufacturing facility producing some fancy platinum nano-membrane or something like that. It can't be produced on Earth, because you (for some reason) need a zero-G environment to make it. The problem is, lifting raw materials from Earth to LEO is expensive. Hm, wouldn't it make sense to move the production facility to L1 and use materials mined from the Moon instead? As the demand for this fancy stuff grows and the investor wants to expand production, it might. Heck, we can ask the guys who run the lunar hotel opened last year to lease us a part of their base to support this mining operations. Or we can strike a deal with the government agency that's operating a small science outpost there.

But crap, there is a problem. Now we have a lot of our employees up there and they need to eat. Supplying all the food from Earth is expensive, so let's construct a dedicated space and/or lunar hydroponic farm that will produce the staple foods for our people. When we're at it, let's sell the surplus to other guys who are doing business in space for a nice income boost.

And that's just one thought experiment meant to show you once again what I mean by gradual expansion in space. Each new layer builds on the previous one and the overall complexity of our space economy begins to grow rapidly.

(I could do a similar thought experiment concerning the clean-up of LEO and GTO. At some point, we will need to get rid of all the defunct satellites that are quickly becoming a pain in our collective butts. There you heave another opportunity for the private sector - governments and companies doing business in Earth orbit will pay others to remove the trash. I am sure someone will find a way to recycle parts of the old satellites in orbit and sell the recovered material to others for profit. The opportunities are endless.)

It does and does not make sense to me. Firstly because there are millions of people who would want to set foot on the Moon, and secondly because there are millions of other people who aren't going to bother expending billions of dollars to get them there.

They won't need to. Again, as prices go down, the possibilities multiply. I listened yesterday to a nice interview with one of the guys from Reaction Engines Ltd. (Mark something, I can't recall his surname). He kept everything very real and down to Earth (figuratively speaking :rofl: ), but he also explained how Skylon will revolutionize space business. According to their calculations, if you used Skylon to lift your stuff to the orbit instead of the proposed Ares rockets, you could do a Moon mission akin to that specified under Constellation with a budget of less than a billion. Once you have all the hardware in production, the recurring costs of such missions would be profoundly reduced as opposed to a situation in which you need expendable mega-rockets for every mission. When you add other clever ways of reducing the costs (robotic orbital assembly, in-space refuelling, solar sails, ion/plasma propulsion systems, ISRU on the Moon), you realize that building and maintaining a lunar base can be done very cheaply, at least in comparison with the current estimates that speak of hundreds of billions of dollars, which is insane.

Skylon development is set to cost about 9 billion euros. Even if it cost twice as much and the resulting product was only half as good as advertised, it would still be a major breakthrough. And even if Skylon fails, something else will come up. You can't postpone the future indefinitely, the technologies to allow Skylon-like SSTOs are maturing quickly.

Yeah, that is the other major problem. The blind optimist can state that the danger and cost will somehow magically disappear, but they won't. Space travel is very dangerous and very costly (and part of that cost is in the interest of lessening the chance of a failure).

Space travel is dangerous, yes. Large part of the danger is related to unreliable launchers - would you buy an air ticket if 1% of flights ended in a crash? I think not. Skylon is set to reduce the risk of failure by two or three orders of magnitude, which would make travelling to space only marginally more dangerous than other forms of transportation. Travelling in space isn't nearly as dangerous as some people claim.

So again, you're blowing the known problems out of proportion in order try to make them look insurmountable even though they're clearly not.

If we assume a very simplistic curve, where launch systems are replaced every 30 years and cost/kg to LEO decreases by 25% with every new launch system, starting with $5000/kg we only get $1000/kg 150-180 years from the start, and $100/kg roughly 400 years from the start. Even that sounds far more plausible to me.

Skylon is supposed to reduce the cost to $600/kg in 20 years, $130/kg if the market grows fast enough :shifty: Your 25% cost reduction estimate is demonstrably and wildly pessimistic.

Cost to Orbit

The Skylon vehicle has been designed with the aim of achieving not less than 200 flights per vehicle. This seems a reasonable target for a first generation machine. Various scenarios have been examined but the uncertainty lies with assumptions on traffic growth.

At present the true launch cost of a typical 2-3 tonne spacecraft is about $150 million. Actual costs paid by customers vary from about one-third to one half of this due to the hidden subsidies on vehicle development, range maintenance, range activity and support infrastructure. For Skylon, if no growth occurred and all operators flew equal numbers of the current approximately 100 satellites per year using 30 in-service spaceplanes from 3 spaceports, the true launch cost would be about $40 million per flight [$1200/lb to LEO].

They expect mission costs to fall to about $10 million per launch for high product value cargo (e.g. communications satellites) $2-5 million for low product value cargo (e.g. science satellites) and for costs per passenger to fall below $100k, for tourists when orbital facilities exist to accommodate them.

As high volume flights are performed the 15 ton payload to LEO orbit would be $2-10 million per launch which would be $66/lb to $330/lb.

here

(I didn't check their sources, but in the interview I heard the RE guy mentioned similar numbers. As far as I know, they are basing these estimates on the most pessimistic results of an independent market study).

In addition, how many millionaires are going to go to space? There have been seven paid spaceflight participants so far, out of apparently around 10 million USD millionaires, which is a tiny fraction. Of course, more people have paid than have flown, but even then, if we assume that there have been a full hundred paid spaceflight participants who... er... somehow didn't get to fly, that is still a fraction of the number of millionaires around. Considering that a circumlunar flight might cost in the region of $100 million and the cost for a flight to LEO is what, $10-20 million, then the number of people with that sort of money to spend, let alone those with the money who want to spend it on being a spaceflight participant, is far lower.

Wild pessimism again. Assuming the gloomiest (and thus totally unlikely) scenario that the market starts stagnating now and continues to do so for the next 50 year, a ticket on a Skylon would cost about 2-3 million US dollars. If things go as planned, it will initially be about $1 million, then the price will go down to the realm of five digits numbers, maybe even lower. That's better than any of that suborbital tourism hype that is currently circulating in some circles. (Funny, considering that Skylon is totally disconnected from space tourism, they didn't even counted with it in their market calculations.)

Again you're extrapolating the future based on current exorbitant prices, which makes about as much sense as predicting the future of computers based on vacuum tube technology did in 1940s.

But sub-orbital flights, such as those being proposed from Virgin Galactic, if reasonably priced (the supposed price is $200 000), could prove far more popular, and within the range of many people willing to spend that money. That could end up being a viable operation, but it is still only spaceflight on the technicality of going above 100km, as it does not even reach orbit, and the vehicle needed to reach orbit does not have to be as capable as an orbital vehicle.

On the contrary. That RE guy was very sceptical about it. Basically he said you can't make these vehicles safe enough with the money they plan to invest, and in the end you end up with $200K ticket for a few minutes of weightlessness and a nice view. If you wait a little longer, you'll buy 48-hour orbital flight for similar amount of money. If you wait still longer, you'll be able to buy a week-long stay in an orbital hotel.

But by all means, if the suborbital tourism business people think they can make it profitable, I wish them good luck. It's just that from what I've read and heard about it, it doesn't seem that great.

(Found it, the guys name is Mark Hempsell. You can download the mp3 and listen to it if you have time, it's about 2 hours long)

Another issue is that space tourism- orbital, cislunar space tourism, will be available only to the super-rich, a small percentage of the population, which might lead not to indifference, but downright disdain for spaceflight, as an "exploit of the rich" in the view of most people.

Uh, no. It's available to the super-rich now, and it hasn't generated any backlash, on the contrary. In 15 years, it will be available to the "just" rich. In 30 years, it will be available to those "well-off". In 60 years, it will be available to the upper middle class in most developed countries. Heck, if it cost me 100,000 US dollars to buy a ticket and I started saving for it now, I'd be able to afford it eventually even though the average salary in my country is below the EU average.

There's a difference between "the way governments do stuff", and "the way stuff has to be done for it to work". You can make the unecessary spending go away, but you can't just magic away the necessary spending. There are limits, there are barriers.

There is nothing magical (literally speaking) about the numbers I mentioned. I didn't just pull them out of thin air, whereas you just take current prices and say "ok, let's assume they'll only go down at an injured snail's pace for the next million years". That's not even in line with the image of "Mr Rational Realist" you're obviously aiming for here, that's downright irrational - again, no offence intended.

One difference between a government program and a private program is that the government program can spend a huge amount of money while politics are in favour of it, while the private program has to make a profit to be sustainable. In this case, this can even make a government program spending 300 billion dollars, better than a private program spending 30 billion.

Airbus A380 development cost was about €11 billion ($15 billion). F-22 development cost was about $60 billion. I don't even want to know the final cost of the Greek bailout, but it will probably be well over $100 billion.

The cost of developing Skylon is set to be about $12 billion, less than A380. Let's be pessimistic and assume 100% cost overrun with the final development cost at about 25 billion US dol..., no let's make it €uros just for the heck of it. It's still comparable to large industry projects that are being done all around the world as we speak.

Ergo, we won't go to Mars for 300 billion dollars, we'll go there for a fraction of that cost. Space will be done in a smart way or not at all. I think the former is more likely.

Oh come on, if I read "Space truck dives to destruction", I'd click on it. Disregarding ATVs and rubbish and reentries, "Space Truck Dives To Destruction" just sounds so cool. You can almost hear some kind of sports presenter-esque voice booming it out loud.

It's not just that. Space-related topics commonly attract public attention. Every Shuttle launch is reported, almost every docking at ISS steals some time in news bulletins and the same goes for each probe that lands somewhere in the solar system.

Your pessimistic view that people are inherently uninterested in space or even hostile to space exploration is patently false.

Already behind "A look inside Nasa's space shuttle" is "the science of hangovers". I wonder how many views it took the former to beat the latter. :rolleyes:

At least there is some science in it :cheers: :lol:

And isn't that what we're basically doing, suggesting all sorts of advancements in spaceflight that fall roughly within our own lifetimes?

I didn't say I was immune :) On the other hand, given the average life expectancy in my country, I can't postpone these things that much - it would mean that nothing would be allowed to happen for the next 50 years at least, which is inconsistent with the predictable trends I wrote about.

For example your suggestion of the solar system of 2060 is pretty radical, and a person who is 30 today could easily see the year 2060.

What's so radical about it? I predict some presence on the Moon, very limited utilization of asteroids (probably NEOs) and small outposts on Mars. Most of the space economy will still be based in Earth orbit and 2nd generation SSTOs will just have been introduced. And that's after I killed a significant fraction of Earth's population and plunged it into a decade of economic recession caused by environmental exhaustion and collapse in some parts of the (so-called) 3rd world. I am probably being too pessimistic there.

His predictions just end out too much like some sort of religious prophecy to fulfill his own ideal world-view.

I agree there, I myself am not a fan of the exponential technological growth theory, technological singularity and whatnot. Actually I think the rate at which new discoveries are made will slow down by the end of the century. Research is getting more expensive, time-consuming and difficult to do as we go "deeper". Our resources aren't infinite (unless we expand into space :tiphat: ), so eventually we'll 'exhaust' the 'reservoir' of discoveries that can be discovered cheaply.

(Gods this took me much longer than I planned)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am talking about the near space - Earth orbit, cislunar space, inner Solar system. Saying that it will take thousands of years for us to, say, establish a small settlement on Mars or take a core sample on Mercury (in person) is patently ridiculous. This is the modern era, not the Ancient Egypt or the Dark Ages where progress occurred over such a ridiculously long timespan.

Why do you need to go to Mercury to take a core sample? It is perfectly possible with (much cheaper) machines, especially considering future advances in technology.

This is the modern era, but Space is no Earth. As I said, hundreds, or even thousands of years- setting up even a small base on Mars in 100 years could be regarded as enough of an achievement to dwarf the thousands of years of Egyptian history.

You totally disregard the snowball effect. Once the first barrier to our space expansion falls, things will get moving and with every new success it will accelerate because it will attract more attention and thus investment, both private and public.

Yes, I am totally disregarding the snowball effect.

Because there is no reason to spend billions of dollars on unprofitable ventures to colonise uninhabitable hyperdeserts.

Currently the chief obstacle to space development is the ridiculous price of getting mass to LEO.

And the fact that it makes no sense.

This is not something set in stone, it is a result of decades of government controlled, heavily regulated space launch programmes

And the limitations of... accelerating huge amounts of mass to orbit.

It is not easy.

Then came SpaceX and in a few short years, they've demonstrated that if you build a relatively primitive launcher rocket with the existing technology (which has been there for decades) and you do it without getting stuck in the mud of defence contracts and NASA bureaucracy, you can produce something MUCH cheaper.

What is primitive with the Falcon rockets, and why is using existing technology a bad thing? It means you do not have to spend millions on some... pre-cooled... ramjet... hybrid... thing.

Falcon 9 heavy is said to cost around $2200/kg... well, that's what they say.

That is no, but not magic $100/kg low.

The people behind Skylon promise to reduce the cost by an order of magnitude, and this is their realistic baseline scenario.

STS also promised $1000/kg. Guess what happened.

There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical.

Skylon would be an IMMENSELY disruptive technology.

I'll agree with you here... Skylon, even if it fulfilled its promise partially, would be extremely disruptive to conventional launcher technology.

Many of the things that are impossible with current prices will be perfectly viable in a decade or two (or three, if you insist on being pessimistic; or four, if you want to be obstinate; any further and you you move to an asylum).

I fear this is too much of an assumption, though I suppose you could also say it could happen in 200 years if you were 'pessimistic' enough.

Nevertheless, it is important to note that launch costs are the most serious problem- once it is out of the way, another problem could raise its ugly head.

The challenge of doing things there won't be so formidable any more.

But they'll still be there. The Moon has no air, but the Namib does. If you posess the technology to make living on the Moon viable, then living in the Namib would be a cynch.

So why go to the Moon when the Namib is easier to get to, easier to live in, and easier to make a profit from?

If you insist on using ideologically loaded term like "Manifest Destiny", be my guest. Others have explained why we Europeans don't like it that much.

I am just as American as you are. Granted, 'manifest destiny' was used to justify the Mexico-American war, but the "destined to expand across the North American continent" bit is a very good parallel to expansion into space.

Because currently it is this ideology- the space expansion ideology, that is- that is the cause of the whole space colonisation idea. If the idea of "Manifest Destiny IN SPACE" didn't exist, this discussion would be utterly pointless.

Some will be fully automated, some will need to have a crew - you can automate simple processes; however, it's far more difficult to automate a very complicated production process. At some point, especially in space, it starts making sense to just have someone up there who can fix problems that would need very complicated solutions if you insisted on full automation. In other words, the cost of automating a very complicated process becomes greater than the cost of maintaining a permanent crew. Other facilities - labs, space hotels - need human crew by definition.

That depends. Our technology is advancing; it would be hard-pressed to see a future where generalist computer programs and adaptable robotic systems do not exist, because they would be so incredibly advantageous.

And the other aspect is... even if your generalist automated system is more complex technologically, than having a crew onboard, it could be, overall, less taxing on the whole infrastructure than a manned presence.

Remember that for a useful application in space- satellite communications, space manufacture, observation, the ideal operational number of humans oboard is 0. Because you need a huge amount of mass to sustain humans.

I mean, say you have a 50 ton habitation section, it supports 3-4 people. At $100/kg launch rates that is still $5 million to LEO. Is you have a 10 ton robotics module and it costs less overall than the crew module and performing crew rotations, it's a good idea to use the automated system than to have a crew onboard.

Granted, there's always some use for a crew onboard... but whether you have a crewed system or not depends on the tradeoff. Hubble became useful and has seen decades of service due to servicing missions by STS, but was it really cheaper to launch servicing missions as opposed to whole new telescopes on cheaper launchers? That is interesting food for thought.

Of course, STS had a pretty high cost/kg, so it is understandable that things would change with a cheaper system. But then again, we did not have astronauts permanently stationed at Hubble- only people visting every few years.

Let's say, now we have a small manufacturing facility producing some fancy platinum nano-membrane or something like that. It can't be produced on Earth, because you (for some reason) need a zero-G environment to make it. The problem is, lifting raw materials from Earth to LEO is expensive. Hm, wouldn't it make sense to move the production facility to L1 and use materials mined from the Moon instead? As the demand for this fancy stuff grows and the investor wants to expand production, it might. Heck, we can ask the guys who run the lunar hotel opened last year to lease us a part of their base to support this mining operations. Or we can strike a deal with the government agency that's operating a small science outpost there.

I think the difficulty of lunar resource processing is underestimated. There are lots of chemicals, for example, that are used in the refinement process of aluminium and other metals, that are hard to come by on the Moon. There are also various items of processing plants and mining equipment that would need to be brought to the Moon first, even in the example of a "seed" factory, and this could be quite costly.

Maybe eventually due to dV constraints using lunar materials and launching stuff from the Moon would be cheaper, but everything depends on your infrastructure.

But crap, there is a problem. Now we have a lot of our employees up there and they need to eat. Supplying all the food from Earth is expensive, so let's construct a dedicated space and/or lunar hydroponic farm that will produce the staple foods for our people. When we're at it, let's sell the surplus to other guys who are doing business in space for a nice income boost.

Isn't some sort of renewable life support cycle necessary anyway? ;)

How are you going to make a profit using that? If you launch it into space? That cost is non-zero, even on the Moon.

And that's just one thought experiment meant to show you once again what I mean by gradual expansion in space. Each new layer builds on the previous one and the overall complexity of our space economy begins to grow rapidly.

And how accurate is that though experiment? It could be argued that a space enthusiast(s) will consistently design scenarios that lead to space development, where in reality such processes would be far less successful.

(I could do a similar thought experiment concerning the clean-up of LEO and GTO. At some point, we will need to get rid of all the defunct satellites that are quickly becoming a pain in our collective butts. There you heave another opportunity for the private sector - governments and companies doing business in Earth orbit will pay others to remove the trash. I am sure someone will find a way to recycle parts of the old satellites in orbit and sell the recovered material to others for profit. The opportunities are endless.)

The oppurtunities are endless... but so are the limitations. :(

Space cleanup is an interesting concept, but it is also one that need not be manned.

Furthermore using space-based materials is a double-edged sword... it would likely be, especially considering lower launch costs, easier to build satellites on Earth where the industry for it exist, and then launch them, than build satellites in space from an inadequate industry.

But debris are a problem. The big ones we can collect... the smaller ones... probably not. We just have to wait for air drag to bring them down in the best case.

According to their calculations, if you used Skylon to lift your stuff to the orbit instead of the proposed Ares rockets, you could do a Moon mission akin to that specified under Constellation with a budget of less than a billion.

I am extremely skeptical of that. It isn't about launch costs alone, hardware costs and development costs come into play to. Considering that Apollo was supposedly $170 billion in 2007 dollars, even if you cut that by a factor of 10, it'd be 17 billion, which is pretty cheap, but still quite a bit higher than 1 billion.

When you add other clever ways of reducing the costs (robotic orbital assembly, in-space refuelling, solar sails, ion/plasma propulsion systems, ISRU on the Moon), you realize that building and maintaining a lunar base can be done very cheaply, at least in comparison with the current estimates that speak of hundreds of billions of dollars, which is insane.

How cheap is ISRU on the Moon, really? How expensive would it be to create 4 tons of sintered regolith constuction material (approximately the amount that you need to shield a square meter of area against cosmic radiation)?

Space travel is dangerous, yes. Large part of the danger is related to unreliable launchers - would you buy an air ticket if 1% of flights ended in a crash? I think not. Skylon is set to reduce the risk of failure by two or three orders of magnitude, which would make travelling to space only marginally more dangerous than other forms of transportation. Travelling in space isn't nearly as dangerous as some people claim.

I seriously, seriously doubt that Skylon is suddenly going to reduce risks by "two or three orders of magnitude", making it "marginally more dangerous than other forms of transportation". Skylon is doing far, far more than other forms of transportation. It's a reusable, rocket powered spaceplane... there is a huge amount of things that could go wrong.

And travelling in space is dangerous. Maybe not as dangerous as on launch or reentry (where you can have a LOCV in seconds), but it is dangerous in the fact that failure of just one crucial system can have fatal results. And a spacecraft has a huge number of crucial systems.

Apollo 13 is a good example. They managed to get out of that situation, with a lot of ingenuity. A lot of the incidents that happened with the Mir station are another example- fires, collisions. As well as the (admittedly less severe) set of problems that have been encountered on the ISS.

In addition, there was that scary incident during the Gemini program involving the spacecraft stack spinning out of control. And of course there was the loss of cabin pressure during Soyuz 11, which occured over 100 km (but still during the return to Earth).

Let's go through several different modes of transportation:

- If you're in a motor vehicle or a train and your propulsion system fails, you will coast to a halt and stop.

- If you're on a waterborne craft such as a ship and your propulsion system fails, you will coast to a stop and start to drift, where you will be able to either be sighted by another ship, or radio for help.

- If you're in an aircraft and your propulsion system fails, you can attempt to glide to the nearest landing strip.

- If you're in a spacecraft and your propulsion system fails, and you're not on a free return trajectory to safety, you die. Space is vast and empty, so the chance of meeting up with someone who can rescue you is virtually zero, and a rescue mission could be pretty difficult, considering the trajectory of your vehicle and launch windows to rendezvous.

That Apollo 13 cryostir was scheduled for later on in the mission, when the CM would have been in lunar orbit and the LM would be on the surface of the Moon. If that explosion occured in lunar orbit, all three crewmembers would have had no chance of escape or rescue and would have died.

One thing that I have learnt first-hand, is that whenever you lull yourself into a sense of security, a failure will occur. This is exemplified by both LOCV incidents with STS. There were problems, that were ignored and/or understimated.

In spaceflight, there are no compromises. Because with compromises come failure.

So again, you're blowing the known problems out of proportion in order try to make them look insurmountable even though they're clearly not.

Which is a pretty poor argument, because I can claim the same; that you are showing the tail of the lion, but hiding its head.

Skylon is supposed to reduce the cost to $600/kg in 20 years, $130/kg if the market grows fast enough Your 25% cost reduction estimate is demonstrably and wildly pessimistic.

STS was supposed to get costs down to $1000/kg. It never did.

I'd love to see those cost figures, I really would, but we have every reason to be skeptical.

If things go as planned, it will initially be about $1 million, then the price will go down to the realm of five digits numbers, maybe even lower. That's better than any of that suborbital tourism hype that is currently circulating in some circles. (Funny, considering that Skylon is totally disconnected from space tourism, they didn't even counted with it in their market calculations.)

The cost of launching people is not only about the cost of launching their mass, but the mass needed to keep them alive and safe as well. And there are other issues involved too, I am sure.

If your estimates of ticket cost to LEO are lower than the ticket price of suborbital space tourism efforts that are far closer to actually existing, isn't that a cause for concern?

Again you're extrapolating the future based on current exorbitant prices, which makes about as much sense as predicting the future of computers based on vacuum tube technology did in 1940s.

I do not blame the people of the 1940s for making the predictions that they did. After all, they had no evidence to suggest otherwise.

In this case, we have no evidence to suggest that spaceflight will suddenly explode into popularity, and actually quite a few reasons why it would not. "But look at the people of the 1940s! Look at computers! They greatly underestimated the power of computers in our era" isn't a very good comparison, just because it exists. After all, the people of the 1940s thought that by our time we would have all sorts of advanced stuff... that never happened.

On the contrary. That RE guy was very sceptical about it. Basically he said you can't make these vehicles safe enough with the money they plan to invest, and in the end you end up with $200K ticket for a few minutes of weightlessness and a nice view. If you wait a little longer, you'll buy 48-hour orbital flight for similar amount of money. If you wait still longer, you'll be able to buy a week-long stay in an orbital hotel.

Yeah, and Pan Am established a waiting list for future flights to the Moon in the 1960s. Just because people say something will happen doesn't mean it actually will.

Uh, no. It's available to the super-rich now, and it hasn't generated any backlash, on the contrary. In 15 years, it will be available to the "just" rich. In 30 years, it will be available to those "well-off". In 60 years, it will be available to the upper middle class in most developed countries. Heck, if it cost me 100,000 US dollars to buy a ticket and I started saving for it now, I'd be able to afford it eventually even though the average salary in my country is below the EU average.

You seem so sure about your predictions. :shifty:

It's available to the super-rich and there are no objections, no, but if a large number of the super-rich were doing it, it'd suddenly attract those sort of connotations from the greater public.

There is nothing magical (literally speaking) about the numbers I mentioned. I didn't just pull them out of thin air, whereas you just take current prices and say "ok, let's assume they'll only go down at an injured snail's pace for the next million years". That's not even in line with the image of "Mr Rational Realist" you're obviously aiming for here, that's downright irrational - again, no offence intended.

Saying that it's downright irrational is a pretty bad argument, because I can claim exactly the same thing of what you are saying. No offence intended or taken, I'm just saying that the point is mute.

I picked $5000 because it was a healthy price- between US and Russian launchers, presumably, a timeframe of 30 years because that is roughly how long one could assume a launcher would be in service, and a 25% decrease with each increment because it wasn't wildly high (50%) or wildly low (1%). If you pick $2000/kg- around the cost/kg of Falcon 9 heavy, then you will get to a cost/kg of $1000 or $100 far faster.

You're assuming that technology will come around in 20-30 years, and it will do as promised, because the guys behind it say it will. Well, that's nice. But clearly from a historical perspective, grand claims generally don't tend to come true.

The cost of developing Skylon is set to be about $12 billion, less than A380. Let's be pessimistic and assume 100% cost overrun with the final development cost at about 25 billion US dol..., no let's make it €uros just for the heck of it. It's still comparable to large industry projects that are being done all around the world as we speak.

That's what they say it would be. It could end up being much higher in reality.

Ergo, we won't go to Mars for 300 billion dollars, we'll go there for a fraction of that cost. Space will be done in a smart way or not at all. I think the former is more likely.

Except for the fact that you can't do space in a smart way, because space isn't 'smart'.

Even a 10 billion dollar Mars mission isn't going to pay itself off.

It's not just that. Space-related topics commonly attract public attention. Every Shuttle launch is reported, almost every docking at ISS steals some time in news bulletins and the same goes for each probe that lands somewhere in the solar system.

Compared to other events? When there's a shuttle mission they showcase the launch and the landing, and maybe make a mention or two about what's going on during the mission... and then it's back to more important news like the situation in Libya or Japan.

Your pessimistic view that people are inherently uninterested in space or even hostile to space exploration is patently false.

I'm sorry, that is just what I have experienced throughout my life. Maybe I somehow attract space-haters to myself somehow. :p

And you are disregarding people who are not in the west/developed nations, though arguably, developed nations would be the ones to develop space, so it is a moot point.

At least there is some science in it

Next I am sure it will be "the science of dating" or "the science of house-training your puppy". :facepalm:

I didn't say I was immune On the other hand, given the average life expectancy in my country, I can't postpone these things that much - it would mean that nothing would be allowed to happen for the next 50 years at least, which is inconsistent with the predictable trends I wrote about.

Hey, limiting development due to your lifespan is just as bad as overestimating it... factors of reality should determine development, not lifespan, be it postponing things just so that they won't happen during your lifetime, or accelerating things so that they would.

What's so radical about it? I predict some presence on the Moon, very limited utilization of asteroids (probably NEOs) and small outposts on Mars. Most of the space economy will still be based in Earth orbit and 2nd generation SSTOs will just have been introduced.

Because you're predicting something that doesn't pay for itself. Mining the asteroids does not make any sense, you've predicted a huge presence on the Moon (compared to what we have... I know), and a full-fledged space economy, and it is still debatable as to whether such a thing could plausibly exist or not.

And that's after I killed a significant fraction of Earth's population and plunged it into a decade of economic recession caused by environmental exhaustion and collapse in some parts of the (so-called) 3rd world. I am probably being too pessimistic there.

Kill just 1% of 10 billion people, and you have killed 100 million.

WWII killed about 40 million, and that came with an economic and technological stimulus... environmental collapse just kills people.

There is no expiry date for the third world, as that collapse is happening right now. The poverty that is abundant in so many places around the world, the conflict, the resource exhaustion... is really not sustainable. These places need to develop or collapse further into a cesspit of failure.

The biggest challenge of the 21st century will be supplying many tens of terawatts of power to billions of people, and learning how to manage energy and resources in a sustainable manner. That is a big challenge, and if anyone is going to care about expansion into space, it is going to be a very small amount of the planet.

I agree there, I myself am not a fan of the exponential technological growth theory, technological singularity and whatnot. Actually I think the rate at which new discoveries are made will slow down by the end of the century. Research is getting more expensive, time-consuming and difficult to do as we go "deeper".

Yeah. I think there is a grain of truth to it, I mean, it does happen, that is undeniable... but... there are limits. If a person of the 1950s was to extrapolate airliner development, they'd end up with absurd vehicles flying around in our era, whereas we still use aircraft designs that originated in the decade after the '50s.

In addition to practical and physical limits, there is also the "low hanging fruit" of discovery. We've picked the low hanging fruit. Now we're onto a whole lot of stuff that we understand, but can't turn into practical technology yet. Fusion is an example, while we understand the science behind it, it has been 20 years away... for the last 50 years.

Our technological abilities aren't expanding like they were at the turn of the last century. Granted, there is development of computers... and maybe some development in the field of biochemistry... but to be honest I really can't see how the latter field is expanding exponentially. It's stuff we don't know about, we have to learn about via scientific discovery... and scientific discovery is not technology that can necessarily be held accountable to a Moore's Law-like pattern.

unless we expand into space

Because places that make the Namib look like a paradise are the major areas for future development? :uhh:

(Gods this took me much longer than I planned)

Long posts tend to do that. :blink:

I honestly haven't followed this thread very much, but I just came across this blog post by Wayne Hale and I think it's fairly relevant (or at least a decent read).

While I find Hale's rhetoric good, particularly in that instance, that is a reason that heavily ignores the practical disadvantages to space travel, and does not really fit into space development at all.

Last edited:

Victor_D

Reaction score
I won't even try to reply to this on a quote-by-quote basis, because the resulting post would be a kilometre long. Furthermore, quoting a sentence just so that you can add a jibe isn't really a debating strategy I appreciate (although I am being a bit hypocritical here, I'll give you that).

So... Skylon and the projected costs:

You have a right to be sceptical, and initially my knee-jerk reaction was similar - "bullcrap, too good to be true". Then I actually learned something about what RE does, what their overall business plan is, and how they plan to accomplish their goals, and I was very positively surprised. This isn't just another pipe dream project made by a bunch of academics.

RE Ltd. asked ESA to evaluate their project, and the resulting report came out very positive:

One important aspect of this economic model is the cost predictions made by REL. They have applied parametric cost models to assess the development/production costs of the vehicle and engine.

In order to assess the accuracy of their models they have cross checked their models against the actual costs of past aerospace projects. The results were presented and REL state that the model accurately predicts a standard deviation of 15% for the correlations. In particular they present a comparison to Concorde that appears to be extremely accurate. The following table is produced from the figures that REL presented during the review.

(snip)

Thus based on their model they have predicted costs for the total development of the vehicle to be $12,300M (including airframe and engine development).

REL consider this to be a pessimistic estimate as the last entry in table 5-1 shows an overestimating of the cost model as compared to Airbus A380. REL state that this disparity is due to the fact that the model does not take into account modern manufacturing methods which will lower the predicted price. Thus this logic can be applied to the SKYLON development and hence the $12.3Billon cost can be seen as an overestimation.

Finally REL presented an analysis of operator economics, again with a pessimistic view of trying to capture the existing market without looking at the new and expanded markets that this vehicle could establish. They showed that the estimated operating costs for 70 flights per year could be as low as $9.47M per flight (Jan 2009 prices).

It is clear that REL have devoted a large amount of time to establishing their cost models, and ESA’s perspective is that they have performed as much economic analysis as is possible for a new vehicle which has the potential to completely change the approach to commercial spaceflight.

I strongly suggest you read it all, it isn't long and it is pretty understandable. Unless you want to believe that the ESA people were a bunch of lobotomised imbeciles who don't know squat about any of this, it would appear that the Skylon is probably the best researched, most scrutinized and best prepared project for a primarily commercial SSTO that can be developed in a decade for a price that's actually perfectly affordable in the industry.

I will therefore assume that when they say that figures like ~$800/kg are actually the pessimistic estimate based on the assumption of zero growth in the space launch market, they know what they're talking about. They have put their cards on the table, they let the ESA and others inspect their findings and they came through. In this light, arguing with the CONSCIOUS lies about the cost-per-kilo figures that NASA fed to the US government during the STS development is pretty weak. Skylon is not and will not be a government-run or (primarily) government-funded programme.

Conclusion: Skylon shows that it is perfectly possible to push the price of putting things to space by an order of magnitude in a 15 years time. It's not magic, it's not a wild claim based on technology that doesn't exist, it's actually a quite sober estimate which nevertheless totally wrecks most of your cost-based arguments against space development.

You're assuming that technology will come around in 20-30 years, and it will do as promised, because the guys behind it say it will. Well, that's nice. But clearly from a historical perspective, grand claims generally don't tend to come true.

It's much better to cautiously accept what appears to be a well-justified claim than to stubbornly insist that nothing will change in the same time period. That's actually much worse than what I am doing - I may be wrong about the speed of change, but your claim can't even be right. It reminds me of all those guys who thought that coal-powered steam engines were the pinnacle of human achievement. Conventional disposable rockets used today are to Skylon-like technologies what steam engines are to internal combustion engines; you simply can't predict the future based solely on their performance.

---

Another little thought experiment with Skylon figures:

Assuming the pessimistic variant (that includes Skylon), we have 30 Skylons which can fly 50 missions a year each, lifting 12 tons to LEO in each flight for a price of 10 million US dollars. The theoretical maximum mass to LEO is 18,000 tons. Yes, that's eighteen thousand tons. A year. For a price of 15 billion US dollars (about 0.4% of the 2011 US federal budget).

The ISS has a mass of roughly 400 tons, it took how many, 15 years to assemble it(?) and it cost at least $30 billion (with some estimates of the overall cost of the ISS project putting the final price tag at $160 billion - ouch).

The contrast can't be starker. Considering the mass requirements alone, the 30 Skylons could help construct 45 international space stations in ONE year for HALF the price it cost us to build one.

That is the kind of progress that will make space development viable. You can play with the numbers, Skylon will still win even if you summarily make it many times more expensive than even the most pessimistic estimates allow for.

That is not to say conventional launchers have no future. High volume and heavy cargo will still require large booster rockets. Skylon will only be able to lift 12-15 tons to LEO depending on its final configuration and launch trajectory. Skylon will also require an upper stage for GTO.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would still be careful - it will take a long time until the first Skylon will fly, all technological problems are not solved yet there. But it is close.

Also the launch costs had been the smallest of all costs of the ISS - the whole rest is much more expensive.

Victor_D

Reaction score
I would still be careful - it will take a long time until the first Skylon will fly, all technological problems are not solved yet there. But it is close.

Also the launch costs had been the smallest of all costs of the ISS - the whole rest is much more expensive.

Of course, I totally agree with you that one should maintain a healthy sceptical posture. On the other hand, Skylon has given me a reason to be hopeful.

As I understand it (I may be wrong here), the costs are driven up by the fact that pretty much every spacecraft launched today is built as a prototype. It's like if every car in the world was custom-built. It's no wonder then that each ISS module is so expensive - the final price includes all the R&D that went into it.

The launch cost is part of the problem - since it is so expensive to launch things to space, there is little incentive to mass produce things - there's no market for it. However, when you have something like Skylon, it suddenly makes every sense to mass produce space station modules, because you can afford building more space stations. Once the market sets off, the production goes up and the prices fall dramatically. I am sure that people in 50 years time will only shake heads in disbelief when they look back at how expensive space transportation was in the early 21st century :)

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You cannot do mass-production or outsourcing to China because every second flight would then end in disaster. Every flange, weld, plug is a critical point and even one mistake can doom your space effort. Unlike ICBMs, where law of large numbers guaranteed deterrence (aka threat of unacceptable damage)...

And no, current spacecraft/launchers are not prototypes. There are several articles produced for one that actually goes up there, and a great degree of re-use is attained - especially with satellite platforms.

Skylon may look promising, but after one flight she will be not brand new, and hence in need of refurbishment (or at least comprehensive re-testing including defectoscopy). If one tries to dodge that bill, one ends up with running huge safety risks.

Victor_D

Reaction score
You cannot do mass-production or outsourcing to China because every second flight would then end in disaster. Every flange, weld, plug is a critical point and even one mistake can doom your space effort. Unlike ICBMs, where law of large numbers guaranteed deterrence (aka threat of unacceptable damage)...

That's what quality control is for. Unless you screw up big time (like Toyota), you should be able to guarantee the quality of your product, otherwise you're out of business.

Articles like space station modules can be mass produced, there is absolutely no reason to believe they can't be. Of course it will never be as cheap and as easy as mass producing rubber ducks, but nobody is saying that.

And no, current spacecraft/launchers are not prototypes. There are several articles produced for one that actually goes up there, and a great degree of re-use is attained - especially with satellite platforms.

I was talking about the ISS modules and space probes, NOT about the launchers and manned capsules like Soyuz (but I see how the term I used might have mislead you, I thought it was clear from the context). On ISS, pretty much every part is unique, although AFAIK the Russian modules are partially based on Mir. For example, ESA's Columbus laboratory is one of its kind. There won't be more of them built, so it is ridiculously expensive because its cost reflects all the R&D that went into it. If we could build and sell another hundred of these modules, the per-unit cost would plummet.

Skylon may look promising, but after one flight she will be not brand new, and hence in need of refurbishment (or at least comprehensive re-testing including defectoscopy). If one tries to dodge that bill, one ends up with running huge safety risks.

REL aims for 2-day flights followed by 2 days checkout and maintenance on the ground once the whole process becomes routine:

Furthermore REL presented a number of requirements for such a system that are:

• 200 Operational flights per vehicle
• 2 day mission (+2 day contingency)
• 2 day turn round (mature operation)

The opinion of ESA is that of the above requirements the two most challenging are the number of flights and the two day turn around. The vehicle/engine reusability aspects are treated in sections 6 and 7 of this document. The aspect of turnaround has important impacts on the design of the both the vehicle and the engine and will be one of the factors that will heavily influence the economic model, as long periods of maintenance (and hence vehicle non-availability) will lead to increased maintenance costs and loss of potential revenue.

(...)

On the basis of what was presented ESA notes the following points:

• The issue of maintainability/reliability of the vehicle and engine and hence impact on the turnaround time will certainly influence the business model. However achieving tens of flights rather than hundreds with no major maintenance effort would also be a major breakthrough in this area.
(...)
The review was considered to be a success with no impediments identified either in the economic or technical presentations.

(What ESA is saying there is that even if REL is very wrong about its reusability estimates, Skylon would still be very much worth it.)

The whole point is to make this spaceplane as commercially viable as possible. Compare that with the Space Shuttle orbiter which needs to be practically taken apart and reassembled after each flight (I am exaggerating a bit here). After that in needs to be fitted with a new external tank and SRBs and assembled vertically on the launch pad by an army of workers and engineers. No wonder it is so ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Then I actually learned something about what RE does, what their overall business plan is, and how they plan to accomplish their goals, and I was very positively surprised. This isn't just another pipe dream project made by a bunch of academics.

Yeah, I know about RE. I think what they're doing is very impressive.

But I am still highly skeptical.

In this light, arguing with the CONSCIOUS lies about the cost-per-kilo figures that NASA fed to the US government during the STS development is pretty weak.

Conscious lies? Do you have any evidence that there were actually lies behind the STS program? I thought it was more a case of technological and financial limitations, project pressures, and legitimate underestimation of the requirements and ramifications of the program.

Conclusion: Skylon shows that it is perfectly possible to push the price of putting things to space by an order of magnitude in a 15 years time. It's not magic, it's not a wild claim based on technology that doesn't exist, it's actually a quite sober estimate which nevertheless totally wrecks most of your cost-based arguments against space development.

You believe in it so strongly that you will not question it, of course. That said, I am being highly cynical.

The SABRE technology does not exist. Not yet, anyway. But it does seem to be a good idea.

And it does not "wreck most" of my cost-based arguments, it just makes launching to LEO much cheaper. You still have to get beyond LEO for certain things, for example.

It's much better to cautiously accept what appears to be a well-justified claim than to stubbornly insist that nothing will change in the same time period.

I never said nothing will change. :)

I'm just being cautious.

That's actually much worse than what I am doing - I may be wrong about the speed of change, but your claim can't even be right. It reminds me of all those guys who thought that coal-powered steam engines were the pinnacle of human achievement. Conventional disposable rockets used today are to Skylon-like technologies what steam engines are to internal combustion engines; you simply can't predict the future based solely on their performance.

That's another "development of computers" argument. The guys who thought that the steam engine was the pinnacle of achievement were 100% correct- for their era, it was a brilliant and universally useful achievement.

The thing is, in the case of launch vehicles, we've been promised something better than the steam engine before, and we never got it. There is reason to be cautious.

Assuming the pessimistic variant (that includes Skylon), we have 30 Skylons which can fly 50 missions a year each, lifting 12 tons to LEO in each flight for a price of 10 million US dollars. The theoretical maximum mass to LEO is 18,000 tons. Yes, that's eighteen thousand tons. A year. For a price of 15 billion US dollars (about 0.4% of the 2011 US federal budget).

Good, now you've spent a good portion of NASA's budget on launching 18 000 tons into space... now you have to get it to actually do something.

That will cost far more money.

The ISS has a mass of roughly 400 tons, it took how many, 15 years to assemble it(?) and it cost at least $30 billion (with some estimates of the overall cost of the ISS project putting the final price tag at $160 billion - ouch).

(I'll get to the ISS launch cost vs. other costs bit later)

I have heard figures up to $300 billion for the ISS. That makes $160 billion look painless... :uhh:

That is the kind of progress that will make space development viable.

No, it won't. Because there is no reason for the type of space development that you describe.

Let's have a fun little calculation;

The ISS is said to mass roughly 417 tons. The Russian segment masses roughly 46 tons.

If we assume the Russian segment all went up at the Proton $/kg rate given [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_heavy_lift_launch_systems"]here[/ame] (yes, I know Pirs and Poisk were launched on Soyuz, but let's assume simplistically here), and that the rest of the station went up on STS at a rate of $10 420/kg, then the launch costs for the ISS would have been roughly $4 billion.

I have read cost/kg rates for STS up to $16 000-18 000/kg. In that case, the launch costs for the ISS would be around $6.1 billion to $6.9 billion.

That would make the launch cost of the ISS make up between 19.7% and 2.5% of the total cost of the ISS, depending on which combination of STS $/kg estimate and entire ISS cost estimate you choose.

This is my primary concern. You cannot have compromises in spaceflight, or else you will be screaming at failure to find you. It might cost far more to inspect and refurbish Skylon than RE currently thinks it would, for example.

---------- Post added at 00:35 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

That's what quality control is for.

Quality control costs money.

Tight tolerances cost money.

Careful inspection costs money.

I was talking about the ISS modules and space probes, NOT about the launchers and manned capsules like Soyuz (but I see how the term I used might have mislead you, I thought it was clear from the context). On ISS, pretty much every part is unique, although AFAIK the Russian modules are partially based on Mir. For example, ESA's Columbus laboratory is one of its kind. There won't be more of them built, so it is ridiculously expensive because its cost reflects all the R&D that went into it. If we could build and sell another hundred of these modules, the per-unit cost would plummet.

Some parts of the ISS aren't unique- for example, there is some commonality between the nodes, and there is even commonality between Columbus and the PMM/MPLMs (dimension wise, at least).

The MER delivery vehicle/spacecraft bus was derived from the Mars Pathfinder delivery vehicle/spacecraft bus. New Horizons uses an RTG that was a spare for the Cassini mission.

Commercial satellites... there are whole series of them and I am sure that there is some commonality between series as well.

Who is going to want hundreds of modules? What would they even do with them? Who are you going to sell them to?

REL aims for 2-day flights followed by 2 days checkout and maintenance on the ground once the whole process becomes routine:

Considering what goes on in regard to STS, there is every reason to be highly cautious of such magical statements.

SpaceShuttleGroundProcessingVision.jpg

SpaceShuttleGroundProcessingActual.jpg

(What ESA is saying there is that even if REL is very wrong about its reusability estimates, Skylon would still be very much worth it.)

I don't think the debate is whether about the question of Skylon being 'worth it' (mostly, anyway), but whether Skylon would actually fulfill some of the estimates being spoken about.

The whole point is to make this spaceplane as commercially viable as possible. Compare that with the Space Shuttle orbiter which needs to be practically taken apart and reassembled after each flight (I am exaggerating a bit here). After that in needs to be fitted with a new external tank and SRBs and assembled vertically on the launch pad by an army of workers and engineers. No wonder it is so ridiculously expensive.

Even if you remove the ET/SRB and stacking/pad operations issue, I am sure STS would still be quite costly.

Commercially viable is one thing... modern expendable rockets are definitely commercially viable, or else the market to launch satellites would not exist.

Victor_D

Reaction score
Conscious lies? Do you have any evidence that there were actually lies behind the STS program? I thought it was more a case of technological and financial limitations, project pressures, and legitimate underestimation of the requirements and ramifications of the program.

It's practically common knowledge that even after NASA had realized that with all the design compromises made it wouldn't be able to stick to those numbers, it continued flaunting them in order to keep the Shuttle programme alive.

Anyway, STS is practically a cautionary tale of how NOT to do a reusable orbital vehicle.

You believe in it so strongly that you will not question it, of course. That said, I am being highly cynical.

The SABRE technology does not exist. Not yet, anyway. But it does seem to be a good idea.

From what REL says, it does. All the key tech. components are researched and they work (at least in the laboratory, we're still waiting for the final pre-cooler test later this year). Now the whole thing is about to go to the next phase, which is production.

And it does not "wreck most" of my cost-based arguments, it just makes launching to LEO much cheaper. You still have to get beyond LEO for certain things, for example.

And you know perfectly well that launching to LEO is 90% of the problem. Once that is out of the way, a whole new ocean of opportunities becomes open to exploration.

That's another "development of computers" argument. The guys who thought that the steam engine was the pinnacle of achievement were 100% correct- for their era, it was a brilliant and universally useful achievement.

The thing is, in the case of launch vehicles, we've been promised something better than the steam engine before, and we never got it. There is reason to be cautious.

Cautious, yes. Stubbornly narrow-minded, no.

Good, now you've spent a good portion of NASA's budget on launching 18 000 tons into space... now you have to get it to actually do something.

That will cost far more money.

That 18000 tons is many times the combined mass that has been launched during the previous 50 years. Of course you're intentionally avoiding the point - you don't have to launch 18000 tons of stuff into space each year, the important thing is that you CAN do it and you can even AFFORD it.

I have heard figures up to $300 billion for the ISS. That makes $160 billion look painless... :uhh:

Case in point.

No, it won't. Because there is no reason for the type of space development that you describe.

Yes there is and I already described several scenarios here. You can spend your own time looking for other things that can provide incentive to invest in space - dozens of very clever people came up with hundreds of ideas over the years. Or heck, you can even read Zubrin's Entering Space. You don't have to like the guy, but he's right about many things (and wrong about others, but still it makes for an interesting read).

Let's have a fun little calculation;

The ISS is said to mass roughly 417 tons. The Russian segment masses roughly 46 tons.

If we assume the Russian segment all went up at the Proton $/kg rate given here (yes, I know Pirs and Poisk were launched on Soyuz, but let's assume simplistically here), and that the rest of the station went up on STS at a rate of $10 420/kg, then the launch costs for the ISS would have been roughly $4 billion.

I have read cost/kg rates for STS up to $16 000-18 000/kg. In that case, the launch costs for the ISS would be around $6.1 billion to $6.9 billion.

That would make the launch cost of the ISS make up between 19.7% and 2.5% of the total cost of the ISS, depending on which combination of STS $/kg estimate and entire ISS cost estimate you choose.

Of course, the Shuttle was used to launch payloads that didn't quite utilize its full potential so the overall number of launches and thus the final cost was probably much higher than a simple mass-cost calculation suggests. More flights were needed to service it, put it together, rotate the crews and supply it with consumables.

In any case the ISS is the first project of this size, magnitude and international involvement, there is no reason whatsoever to think that every following space station will be anywhere as expensive, especially if you profoundly reduce the cost of resupply operations, which is the main pain today.

This is my primary concern. You cannot have compromises in spaceflight, or else you will be screaming at failure to find you. It might cost far more to inspect and refurbish Skylon than RE currently thinks it would, for example.

It may or it may not. ESA said it is a challenge, not that REL calculations are unrealistic. We won't know until it's been tried.

The bottom line is this: large commercial airliners are probably much more complicated machines than Skylon will ever be, yet they are mass produced to be reliable, cheap, safe and (relatively) easy to maintain.

If at least the same standards, technologies and production process are used to manufacture Skylons, I don't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to achieve the reliability figures that REL released. And as always, even if Skylon ended up being ten times less reliable/reusable than REL claims, it would still be much better than the currently used expendable launchers with their failure rates ranging from 1/50 to 1/100.

Quality control costs money.

Tight tolerances cost money.

Careful inspection costs money.

Not the kind of money you doomsayers count with :) It will actually be much more expensive to insure the vehicle than to inspect and maintain it on regular basis.

Who is going to want hundreds of modules? What would they even do with them? Who are you going to sell them to?

We've been over this.

- space tourism
- space-based laboratories
- space-based manufacturing facilities
- space-based robotic assembly stations
- space-based servicing stations for satellites
- space-based fuel depots
- etc. etc. etc.

Once you can send them up cheaply enough, there are plenty of uses for space station modules of various size and purpose. Even today there is Bigelow with their inflatables - a glimpse of things to come.

Considering what goes on in regard to STS, there is every reason to be highly cautious of such magical statements.

Apples and oranges. Skylon is nothing like STS.

Private jets can't exist because steam locomotives are too heavy and expensive to maintain... eh, what?
-> Same logic.

I don't think the debate is whether about the question of Skylon being 'worth it' (mostly, anyway), but whether Skylon would actually fulfill some of the estimates being spoken about.

And what I am saying is that EVEN IF it ends up much worse than REL says, it will still be a revolutionary machine that will change the way we do business in space.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G-HPHNrrLQ"]Skylon lecture[/ame](a YouTube video of Alan Bond giving a lecture about Skylon and the work they're doing at Reaction Engines Ltd. Very interesting to watch I think (start watching from 6:00 if you want to skip the introduction)

That said, this debate isn't about Skylon - I am using it is an example of what can realistically be achieved in about 10-20 years time, which is a radical reduction of the price per kg to LEO. Skylon looks very good, but there are surely other ways to accomplish this.

(And maybe if political pressure hadn't killed Venture Star, there would already be a reusable SSTO in service.)

Even if you remove the ET/SRB and stacking/pad operations issue, I am sure STS would still be quite costly.

Commercially viable is one thing... modern expendable rockets are definitely commercially viable, or else the market to launch satellites would not exist.

I am not going to discuss STS here, I've already made it clear it has little to no relevance to the topic. If anything, it serves as a guide to how not do commercial SSTO.

About the commercial viability - one thing I am afraid of is the resistance from the current major suppliers and operators of expendable launchers. For them, the present situation is a godsend. There is practically no domestic competition and the market is so heavily regulated that foreign competition is irrelevant. Government is the key consumer and they can milk it as much as they want. While they're in it, they keep funding studies to "prove" that you can't drive prices much "lower" than they already are.

Why should they be developing a reusable SSTO that would reduce prices by a factor of ten and open the whole market to competition from multiple operators? They'd have to be insane. I dare say this is the major reason why the US hasn't moved beyond expendable rockets already.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's practically common knowledge that even after NASA had realized that with all the design compromises made it wouldn't be able to stick to those numbers, it continued flaunting them in order to keep the Shuttle programme alive.

Did they have a choice? Put yourself in the place of a person working on the shuttle program...

Anyway, STS is practically a cautionary tale of how NOT to do a reusable orbital vehicle.

STS is also a cautionary tale of how much of a failure a reusable vehicle can be.

From what REL says, it does. All the key tech. components are researched and they work (at least in the laboratory, we're still waiting for the final pre-cooler test later this year). Now the whole thing is about to go to the next phase, which is production.

That's nice, it works in the laboratory.

I'll believe SABRE is ready when they perform ground tests of the actual design.

And you know perfectly well that launching to LEO is 90% of the problem. Once that is out of the way, a whole new ocean of opportunities becomes open to exploration.

No, it is not. Please read my post where I explain that hardware launch costs are only a small amount of the total cost. You still have to research and fabricate the infrastructure, and then assemble and operate it in space. This is not cheap.

Cautious, yes. Stubbornly narrow-minded, no.

Where does the definition of "cautious" end and "stubbornly narrow-minded" begin? :idk:

That 18000 tons is many times the combined mass that has been launched during the previous 50 years. Of course you're intentionally avoiding the point - you don't have to launch 18000 tons of stuff into space each year, the important thing is that you CAN do it and you can even AFFORD it.

Well yes, that's nice, you can launch 18000 tons into space each year... that's lovely, but, what are you going to do with it? If you can't make it into something useful and afford that, what's the point?

Yes there is and I already described several scenarios here. You can spend your own time looking for other things that can provide incentive to invest in space - dozens of very clever people came up with hundreds of ideas over the years. Or heck, you can even read Zubrin's Entering Space. You don't have to like the guy, but he's right about many things (and wrong about others, but still it makes for an interesting read).

And I have spent the last few posts debunking them. :p

I don't mind Zubrin... at least he has enthusiasm.

Of course, the Shuttle was used to launch payloads that didn't quite utilize its full potential so the overall number of launches and thus the final cost was probably much higher than a simple mass-cost calculation suggests. More flights were needed to service it, put it together, rotate the crews and supply it with consumables.

In any case the ISS is the first project of this size, magnitude and international involvement, there is no reason whatsoever to think that every following space station will be anywhere as expensive, especially if you profoundly reduce the cost of resupply operations, which is the main pain today.

Of course, I did not consider crew rotations and resupply operations. However, when the numbers are crunched, it is still likely that a good portion of the cost is not launch costs, but hardware and operations costs. Even 30-40% of the costs being launch costs overall, would mean most of the cost was in hardware and operations... even 60% of the cost being launch cost would mean you'd still have billions of dollars otherwise.

It may or it may not. ESA said it is a challenge, not that REL calculations are unrealistic. We won't know until it's been tried.

Building an antimatter propelled starship is also a 'challenge'... ;)

Nevertheless, I fully agree with you. We won't know until it has been tried.

The bottom line is this: large commercial airliners are probably much more complicated machines than Skylon will ever be, yet they are mass produced to be reliable, cheap, safe and (relatively) easy to maintain.

Skylon is a space vehicle! It has huge propellant tanks filled with hundreds of tons of cryogens! It has hybrid jet-rocket engines! It'll have other propulsion systems for use in orbit as well! It'll use active cooling on reentry! It'll have star trackers, payload bay doors, and other systems!

Sorry for the overexcitement.

In addition, Skylon will also be the second or third vehicle of its vague category, the first SSTO, and have the first mission platform that entails no discarded hardware or seperations (save for payload deployment, of course).

Airliners have been around for decades.

I'm sorry... but if Skylon ends up being less complex (in terms of actual critical components to make it work, not gimmicks like reclining seats and in-flight entertainment systems) than airliners, I will eat a plastic Skylon...

If at least the same standards, technologies and production process are used to manufacture Skylons, I don't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to achieve the reliability figures that REL released. And as always, even if Skylon ended up being ten times less reliable/reusable than REL claims, it would still be much better than the currently used expendable launchers with their failure rates ranging from 1/50 to 1/100.

There are two reasons to be skeptical of ultra-low failure rate claims:

- Skylon will be a new system, it will not be perfected and refined over decades, and thus should not be expected to have the same safety record as an aircraft.

- Skylon could likely see more strains in both the physical and thermal sense over the course of a single flight, than an airliner would.

- Skylon could be, overall, far more 'critical' in the technical sense. While a single failure aboard an airliner might not result in the failure of the entire vehicle, during a critical phase of the mission (launch or reentry) a failure of part of Skylon could have catastrophic results.

Also, STS was supposed to have what, a failure rate of 1/1000? 1/10 000?

Complacency with safety is never, ever a good idea.

Not the kind of money you doomsayers count with It will actually be much more expensive to insure the vehicle than to inspect and maintain it on regular basis.

Yeah, that's what RE says... we'll only know if the estimate comes close to the actual figures if and when Skylons are ever operated.

space tourism

If you want a 100 person station made out of TransHabs, with an average of 8 people per TransHab, you will need 12-13 TransHabs.

And 100 people in space at any one time is quite a large amount.

- space-based laboratories

We already have one of those, it isn't that big.

- space-based manufacturing facilities

Which don't need (permanent) human presence, and even if they did, they wouldn't need much of it.

- space-based robotic assembly stations

Which, by their very description, don't need manned presence (or a large manned presence).

- space-based servicing stations for satellites

Unmanned vehicles in this role have been discussed and are an interesting concept.

- space-based fuel depots

Don't have to be manned, and large-sized ones assume a heavy presence in space anyway.

Once you can send them up cheaply enough, there are plenty of uses for space station modules of various size and purpose. Even today there is Bigelow with their inflatables - a glimpse of things to come.

A TransHab-type module does one thing, not a whole bunch of things. It provides a considerable pressurised volume.

Already for example a propellant depot needs no TransHabs, but thermally controlled propellant tanks. A satellite tug needs to be maneuverable and have a way to latch onto and/or refuel satellites. A production facility or lab need a considerable power supply to run experiments or perform industrial processes. An assembly facility needs an array of manipulator arms, trusses, and equipment bays, to facilitate work on constructed items in microgravity.

You can achieve some commonality (for example, the solar panels for the hotel, lab, production facility and assembly station could easily be the same), but it isn't nearly as simple as "You need something in space? Use an inflatable Bigelow module!"

Apples and oranges. Skylon is nothing like STS.

Apples and oranges are both fruit, Skylon and STS are both reusable space systems. It's a fair comparison.

Private jets can't exist because steam locomotives are too heavy and expensive to maintain... eh, what?
-> Same logic.

Wrong. The logic is "Private jets can't exist because our steam locomotives are limited and can't do various things, because we've tried and we've failed miserably".

That said, this debate isn't about Skylon - I am using it is an example of what can realistically be achieved in about 10-20 years time, which is a radical reduction of the price per kg to LEO. Skylon looks very good, but there are surely other ways to accomplish this.

You are using an example of what can optimistically be achieved in 10-20 years time.

I agree, that Skylon would be a heavily disruptive launch technology, even if it were relatively unsuccessful. But, the whole point of 'Manifest Destiny IN SPACE', and what you're saying... is that because it is championed by space enthusiast(s), it assumes that space will suddenly become far more important to everyone than it should really be.

(And maybe if political pressure hadn't killed Venture Star, there would already be a reusable SSTO in service.)

Venture Star achieving viable super-low costs?

Yeah... :rolleyes:

About the commercial viability - one thing I am afraid of is the resistance from the current major suppliers and operators of expendable launchers. For them, the present situation is a godsend. There is practically no domestic competition and the market is so heavily regulated that foreign competition is irrelevant. Government is the key consumer and they can milk it as much as they want. While they're in it, they keep funding studies to "prove" that you can't drive prices much "lower" than they already are.

I fail to see your logic, Venture Star was a Lockheed program, I'm sure there was a Boeing reusable spacecraft along there somewhere. There was a McDonnell Douglas reusable program- the DC-X.

Granted, their 'failures' could be used to "prove" that prices can't be driven any lower... but it doesn't make much sense. It sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The bottom line is this: large commercial airliners are probably much more complicated machines than Skylon will ever be...

WHAT??? :blink:

Victor_D

Reaction score
WHAT??? :blink:

Don't be so surprised.

Skylon will be more expensive than a large commercial airliner, but not necessarily as complicated. When you look at it, it's a pretty straightforward design, the most complicated thing on it are the engines. I wouldn't be surprised if it required much fewer parts than an A380.

Which is good, less complicated = better engineered (usually) = more reliable (mostly).