The periodic table.

Screamer7

Reaction score
Can some one explain to me in plain English how the elements are formed in nuclear synthesis.
Especially the heavy elements.
And are all the elements known?
Or are there maybe elements lurking some where in the universe we do no know about.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Can some one explain to me in plain English how the elements are formed in nuclear synthesis.
Especially the heavy elements.
And are all the elements known?
Or are there maybe elements lurking some where in the universe we do no know about.

The table is filled in. The only space for new ones are those synthetically made that tack on at the end.

Number of protons are what make an element an element, and you cannot have a fraction of a proton, so if you look at the table, you will notice all the numbers are filled in.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Well, most of the universe (matter that we can detect, excluding mass contributed by dark matter) is Hydrogen, about 75%. The rest is Helium, about 25%. Then there are trace amounts of other elements...

Most of this Helium was created quite quickly after the Big Bang by fusing Hydrogen in the so called proton-proton chain. You get protons slamming together, making Deuterium and Tritium, than those fusing together...

Other elements form in the centers of stars where the high temperature allows fusion of heavier elements. Still, you won't see every element fused there. For one, anything heavier than Iron cannot be fused, because it takes energy to fuse those elements instead of releasing it.

Elements heavier than Iron are cooked in Supernovae, when stars die. In that moment, temperatures are very high and there is a large burst of energy...

There are no elements in the universe 'lurking about'. Anything heavier than a certain isotope of Lead is radioactive - it will decay into lighter elements, so even if anything does form, it will eventually decay.

There's another reason there are no others lurking about - the higher the number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus, the more unstable the nucleus tends to be. We've had some success making very heavy nuclei in a lab - up to element 118 - but we're having trouble getting higher, because the elements we use to build heavy nuclei already decay before we can get them any higher...

Hope this answers your questions...

Screamer7

Reaction score
Thanks RisingFury.
But this must be mind boggling.
I work underground in a gold mine here in South Africa.
When you look at all that rock masses, there must be a LOT of material formed in Supernova's to create not only Earth itself, but all the other planets in our solar system.
And then I don't even mentioned the other solar systems of distant stars.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks RisingFury.
But this must be mind boggling.
I work underground in a gold mine here in South Africa.
When you look at all that rock masses, there must be a LOT of material formed in Supernova's to create not only Earth itself, but all the other planets in our solar system.
And then I don't even mentioned the other solar systems of distant stars.

Well, yes and no.

Jupiter is the most massive planet in our solar system and it still only 1/1000 as massive as our Sun.

On the other hand, Earth is mostly made of Silicon based rocks, oxygen, hydrogen (H2O), Iron,... elements that can be created in stars without supernovae...

Uranium, Gold, Silver,... stuff like that has to be formed in supernovae, but these elements are relatively rare on Earth.

Screamer7

Reaction score
What this mean is that effectively everything here on Earth is, well Stardust?
And maybe not of our sun, but one of several stars before our sun was born?
It make me feel very small indeed.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Carl Sagan said it in the tv series called "Cosmos". And it's the true...

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Apparently, there are processes that allow generation of elements heavier than iron even in 'normal' stars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-process

Wow, didn't know that one. Thanks for pointing out :)

Makes me feel big. Stars had to die so I can live. How much cooler does it get? Or should I say... how much hotter? :p