Things that others do on the computer, that make you rage.

ZombiezuRFER

Zaktan Zanamu, margum Zavralto
Reaction score
This site can sum it all up and more. The ones I particularly hate are the stupid Salesmen and Tech support, but really the salesmen. They don't have a clue what they talk about, and people just waste their money on stuff that will never be useful or even compatible with their systems. Its just depressing.

Hunt and peck people
click drag
not knowing you can right click
having trouble typing in a URL
not knowing how the very basic functions of word (eg, saving crap.)

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
- People who can't use keyboard shortcuts for copy, paste, cut, save,...

- People who buy laptops for games or buy laptops that never move off their desks and are always plugged into the socket for power.

Thats my brother. Never unplugs the laptop.

ZombiezuRFER

Reaction score
- People who buy laptops for games or buy laptops that never move off their desks and are always plugged into the socket for power.

I'm guilty of never unplugging except when I have to. But I always use my laptop on high performance :lol:

Ark

Reaction score

Gaming laptops are stupid. I've been gaming on the same desktop for over 4 years now, and I can just swap out modular components when something breaks or I want to upgrade. Apart from RAM, laptops simply aren't modular and you're on the hook for a new one every time it goes obsolete. If it's going to sit in one place while you game, just save yourself the headaches and get a desktop.

ZombiezuRFER

Reaction score
The MOST technologically illiterate and stupid people annoy me to no end.

I literally had to turn on the TV for my mom because of such things.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Who are we to call others stupid?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Stupidity is absolute, since there is a universe to measure against.

Keatah

Reaction score
Folks that obsess over tiny inconsequential things in software. For example, when starting up a VM or similar, and you're running a graphical o/s on it.. I've seen people complain and moan about the cursor not starting in the center like winXP does. The VM might put the cursor in the corner or something like that. And they complain and spend hours and hours trying to make their VM start with the pointer (cursor) in the center!! Good GOD!!!!

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
[rant]
1. Calling disk space Memory.
2. Saying that Macs don't/can't get viruses.
3. Using Internet Exploder (Probe forbid Netscape).
4. Not knowing how to force quit/end a process using task manager when a program freezes.
5. Not creating overly complex organization systems with folders (you should see the Utils folder in my Orbiter installation, and my desktop only has one folder on it).
6. Typing "http://" or "www." in front of URLs when it isn't necessary.
7. Downloading "free toolbars" or many "free antivirus" programs.
8. Thinking deleting System32 will make your computer immune to viruses.
9. Not disabling UAC.
10. Not deleting unnecessary stuff/not emptying the recycling bin.
[/rant]

steph

Reaction score
I've seen a few cases:
When told to double-click a file, some guy kept right-clicking it. After a few dumbfounded seconds he was asked wtf he was doing, and he innocently replied that he thought the left mouse button was simple click and the right mouse button was double click. Same guy later advised me that if I couldn't find a file, I should have the dog search for it :lol:.
Then there was the infamous fly case. Someone using a computer that had a fly as a mouse pointer started shouting that we should immediately close all windows and look for the fly. The pointer disappeared off the screen for some reason.

Columbia42

Reaction score
I find it really strange that we got stuck with keyboards like that.
Why not use alphabetic keyboards?

It's a damn crutch as old as the typing machines, and the legend says the issue was fixed, so why keep the stupid layout?

Not sure about any other formats but I do know that qwerty was specifically invented to slow down typing. This is because when typewriters were first invented the things would jam if you typed too fast.

Keatah

Reaction score
Using incorrect terminology, and/or over-pronouncing names. For example:

Download blahh-blaahh from the cd-rom.
Save it to Microsoft.
Save it to the Microsoft.
Download it to my internet.

By the way, I got my OLD laptop (with intel integrated graphics) years ago as a desk-top replacement for gaming. It is plugged in 90% of the time and powers 2 external monitors too! Does that get you riled up real good??

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm guilty of never unplugging except when I have to. But I always use my laptop on high performance :lol:

Even the high performance setting isn't anywhere near what you get on a desktop - even with same parts.

I just don't get why you'd buy a laptop for gaming, especially if you never move it around.
- You have a small screen.
- You have no mouse by default and a clumsy keyboard.
- The cooling system is a joke and as a result the CPU often needs to be throttled down.
- The "mobile" graphics cards are a joke.
- Even the best batteries will last only around 30 minutes when running games - so you even lose the only advantage a laptop offers over a desktop.
- The price of a laptop is much higher then the price of a same power desktop.
- They're very difficult to upgrade and very limited in upgrades.
- When buying a new laptop (to upgrade) you're forced to buy a complete package - keyboard, touch pad, screen, battery,... you can't reuse the parts from your old laptop which adds to the price. Generally with a desktop you keep your screen, your surround sound system,...

There are just so many disadvantages that I don't understand why *anyone* that's considered it for 5 minutes and has even the most basic understanding of computer hardware would actually buy a "gaming laptop".

The only short term advantage the laptop offers is to first-time buyers. People who don't already have everything else you usually plug into a computer. If you buy a really powerful computer and have to buy the screen and everything else you usually plug in, it's cheaper to go for a laptop... but generally I'd prefer saving up a bit more money.

I don't know... just seems so illogical.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
3. Using Internet Exploder (Probe forbid Netscape).

For that matter, people that are paranoid about viruses, have their firewall on the "make my computer almost useless"-setting, pay money for a professional Anti-virus program, ask you five times if you checked that stick or CD you just gave them for viruses... and then go and browse the Web with IE6 that came with their XP.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Not sure about any other formats but I do know that qwerty was specifically invented to slow down typing. This is because when typewriters were first invented the things would jam if you typed too fast.
That's the legend. It also said that the problem was solved a few years after typewriters were introduced, so why did we stick with the layout?

buy laptops that never move off their desks and are always plugged into the socket for power.
What if you need a computer in a place that don't sell computers? You can't fly a desktop one carry-on, and it would be destroyed in luggage.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, when you're only allowed to have one computer and need it for school, and when your parents are the ones choosing it for you, there's not much hope of getting a desktop...

So I'll join the Rise RisingFury's Fury club. :lol:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I bought my laptop to take it to school... But it is much better than my desktop, which has a Radeon X1650, so I'll use it for games until I upgrade the GPU of my desktop.

To get on topic, things that make me rage:

-IE and WMP bashing
-clicking the "Apply" button and after that "OK"
and many other things that were allready mentioned here...

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
RisingFury said:
There are just so many disadvantages that I don't understand why *anyone* that's considered it for 5 minutes and has even the most basic understanding of computer hardware would actually buy a "gaming laptop".
I have two simple reasons:
1. It would be hard to fit a desktop in my room (yes, I have a small room).
2. I move the computer occasionally, but I still do it sometimes, so a laptop is pretty much the only choice.