Things you did while new to Orbiter

Castor

Reaction score
The first craft that I tackled was the space shuttle. I would launch nominally, and would then simply cut off the SSME's after SRB ignition, just to see the shuttle do the loop-a-loop.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I first got orbiter, I would fly straight up in order to reach orbit. And then point downward to descend. I also did the whole point and fire thing with planets and moons.

"Oh look its Jupiter, let me go fire my engine at it for the next few days until I arrive."

I also would accelerate to really high speeds because I wasn't aware of time acceleration.

After I got the basics of Astrodynamics, I started to engage in disturbing military missions in which I would bomb bases on the moon and earth, attack orbiting vessels with missiles, and perform mock invasions of hostile territory on both mars and Ganymede.

Then I figured out how to make systems and I made about 20 of them. So now, I have a folder of all the stars within a 15 ly radius.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Learned to get to orbit in the delta glider.

Then learned how this counter-intuitive thing called orbital mechanics works:

"How do I go faster without gaining altitude? What, you can't!?
Wait, I have to speed up to slow down? What the heck?"

It was several months before I installed any add-ons.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
In the "Smack!" scenario, I had a rather nasty tendency to spin up the docked DGs just for the fun of it (> 5RPM), then undock and watch the partner DG spiral off in orbit after I stopped my own rotation.

In the same scenario, I would sometimes also deorbit both of us and only undock at entry interface, and watch the partner disappear in its own fireball.

I think I did it was mostly because I knew what I was doing was almost definitely fatal for any crew on those DGs, but almost definitely because I didn't have a good sense of how to fly a DG (spin-ups and firing the main/hover engines was all I could do back then) or any spacecraft in Orbiter in general...

...which, unfortunately, is still a problem I have today. :(