• Total voters

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
If you could pick your destiny, what your preference would be?

Pros for dying young (and suddenly):

• No years of suffering from illnesses or dementia in the old age.
  • Nobody will have to look after you, old.
  • You will never have to bury your most loved ones.
  • You are remembered young.
Pros for dying old:

• If you believe you have a mission in your life, you can accomplish it.
  • The frightful moment is just yet another bit away...
  • You can have a love, make children and see your children growing up.
  • You can see people walking on Mars.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's a hard question.

I want to die from one second to the other, but without knowing the point of time before. So no matter if I'm old or if I'm young...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Dying old. Point 3 in the pros for it is my favorite.

Point 2 is not what I think of it, to me it is more like more time to prepare for it. I'd prefer a slow and peaceful death - where I can say farewell to my loved ones - instead of a hard and fast one in an accident.

Point 1 is "live long and prosper", nothing fancy.

And yeah, I definitely want to see Mars walkers.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Where is the fourth option?
I prefer to live forever.
To see mankind take fully into it's power, and help it on the way.
To pave the way to the stars, and see them up close.
To bind the universe together and fulfil it's purpose.

Realistically, that would be die old.
Not necessarily after the heat death of the universe, but at least after i ran out of things to make for a while.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
You'd have to be, by definition, suicidal to actually want to die young. Or very, very religious.

edsupagood

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What does being very religious have to do with dying young?

diogom

Reaction score
Is there a fifth option? Die hard!

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
... instead of a hard and fast one in an accident...
Oh this is also not what I want. Even because I don't want to take people with me... Sure, to say goodbye is also a great option, but not if you have pain...

The reason for me to prefere to die fast is, because the worst thing for me is when they give drugs to you and if you don't know who is visiting you and you are not longer the person you was before.

But maybe, in this situation it's no matter for you, but you are not able to say goodbye, because you are to confused...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Where is the option to not lose your love of life:

Not to everyone's taste, but they are loud!

N.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I have a 100% success rate of not being dead that goes back to 1986. It's a streak I don't intend to lose anytime too soon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The trick is too die as young as possible and that as late as possible.

But seriously: I could fall dead in the next second. If not the next second, maybe some second later. It takes just one decision to die, but you need to decide for being alive every moment. So, why should I worry about missing something? Every day is the next best day in my life and I don't want to regret it.

One second, I will die. I know it won't happen in a bed, with my wife right next to me unaware of my passing away peacefully. I am not living that way.

All I really wish for this second: Please let me end as a small falling star, with children wishing upon me, lovers kissing below my sight and amateur astronomers posting my final pictures on O-F. Let me pass away, where I longed to be. Up there.

FADEC

Reaction score
Depends on how we define "old". Some people already feel and look old at 30. Some at 40. Some consider 60 as seemingly dead. My understanding of old begins at the end of 80s/beginning of 90s, but which depends on my personal family history I guess.

So I'd have to say that I want live long. Because I like just to be. I am over 30 and it still feels like I am in the beginning of my life. I have no fear of living long at all, and to survive some of my loved ones.

I would like to die consciously by the way, because I am curious how it feels and what happens, if something happens. Might sound strange, but although I love my life and want to live long, I am ready to die at any time also. Or in other words: I am aware it will happen anyway, and it actually does not matter when it happens. Because if I die tomorrow, I already will die as a lucky person. Having lived more than 30 years already is great if we look at some corners of this planet. But I would also like to witness the 90s, and show people that even at such an age you can still do sports :)

MattBaker

Reaction score
I prefer to live forever.

According to this xkcd-comic we reverse aging in 2029, become immortal in 2040 and can merge with machines in 2045, so you could be lucky:thumbup:

So, my plan is to reverse my aging until my body is 20 again, become immortal and become a cyborg, I think that's quite realistic...

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I could choose, I would like to die while I'm asleep.
I don't care if I die young or old, as long as I have lived the life I wanted and done all the things that I want to do.
I don't want to use my last day alive to regret what I've done or what I should have done, but didn't do.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey, Talby! I've got a piece a piece of debris, I think I've figured out a way!
He he, thats the coolest way!

Source:

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I want to become old but stay as active as I can at an old age. Last week while I was climbing a mountain in Colorado, I saw a man who appeared to be in his 80s on the route. Hopefully I will be the same at that age.

Although this is somewhat wishful thinking, I remain optimistic about anti aging and life extension technology. I really hope to live and experience new technology, learn about new ideas, and do new things as long as I can.

Death is something which I never wish to experience, and I have always felt this way, even when I did believe in an afterlife.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Let's see... I had the middle-age crisis at 16 and now I'm well past 32, so I'm immortal. Problem solved.

Seriously, I plan to live so long as to change the definition of "old". I also intend to change the definition of "decadent". Screw it, after me Dorian Gray will be looked upon as a paradigm of virtue and Methuselah will be remembered as a wannabe me.

Death is something which I never wish to experience, and I have always felt this way, even when I did believe in an afterlife.

Well, if you are here, death is not and if death is here, you are not. So you cannot "experience" it. It's just the intermediate steps that are inconvenient.

As for the afterlife, even if you believe in one it doesn't prevent you from wanting to live more. To quote my old religion teacher, giving no value to mortal life because of the hereafter makes as much sense as not enjoying your childhood because you'll be an adult one day, and is just as stupid.

And let's not talk about the hereafter anymore or we'll be thereafter confined to the basement...

Last edited: