Question Total Immersion suggestions

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not a specific suggestion, but a general one, when designing virtual cockpits keep simpit builders in mind. They use standardized computer parts. Have display sizes conform to regular LCD sizes, design the control sticks graphics to be like sticks on the market, seating like some racing chairs (which do look like they'd be right at home in a spacecraft). It can still look like a spaceship and be made a lot easier for those doing simpits too. ;)
Simpit builders care about virtual cockpits? :p

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Simpit builders care about virtual cockpits? :p

Would it not make sense to be able to replicate the cockpit IRL to the same standards as those flying the VCs? A cockpit is a cockpit, it would be nice for people who have never flown in a simpit to instantly recognize everything based on layout. ;)

Countdown84

XR5 Payload Wrangler
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.ryankingsbury.com
WONDERFUL work so far (I have tried the TX, ShuttlePB, and Descartes).

I would love to see a VespucciD or XR5 VC, but I understand the limitations with the .dlls.

After flying your excellent ShuttlePB, I'm actually really interested in seeing the ShuttlePB exterior get a mesh update. You're clearly a talented 3D modeler and I think this little ship is long overdue for a facelift, ESPECIALLY now that it has gear, docking port, UMMU, and a great VC.

Love the addons! Keep it up!

vchamp

Reaction score
Not a specific suggestion, but a general one, when designing virtual cockpits keep simpit builders in mind. They use standardized computer parts. Have display sizes conform to regular LCD sizes, design the control sticks graphics to be like sticks on the market, seating like some racing chairs (which do look like they'd be right at home in a spacecraft). It can still look like a spaceship and be made a lot easier for those doing simpits too. ;)

Sorry, I don't quite understand what do you mean saying that display sizes must conform regular LCD sizes? Do you mean MFD displays?

I am not that good modeller (more programmer) to replicate real joysticks and seats. If anybody knows where I can get free 3d models for interior components, I'll be grateful for a link.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

It would be nice to have a new VC for Shuttle-A.
And a VC for the Dragonfly would be nice.

Why don't you like an existing VC of Shuttle-A? It is very nice, in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

......... how about some VCs for those StarWars Star Destroyers ? That would be pretty cool.

Also, I'm still working on the USS Tarawa which doesn't have a VC. If you're intrested, I can send you what I have so far. It's nearly complete except for a very few external additions and textures.

Sorry, I don't like military spacecrafts. For me Orbiter helps to realize a dream about exploration and leaving in new worlds, I can't find a place for war in it.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
What about a functionally vc for the delta flyer by ae7flux (from star trek):​
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3197"]NX-425[/ame]

It has a great vc but it isn't clickable. And it is spacecraft3 based.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Cosmos! -> [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2983"]Cosmos V2.0[/ame]

I love that little ship!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why don't you like an existing VC of Shuttle-A? It is very nice, in my opinion.

I think the Shuttle-A could use some improvements. It looks fitting as design, but is generally to dark and the important parameters are far apart. A few detail improvements of it would make sense to me.

I don't speak about a full-scale redesign, I think this would kill the character, but a bit more towards a space-truck and some feedback from "pilots" into the design would be good.

Maybe martins also has no problems with making the Shuttle-A use more code from the API, for example light beacons.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I'd really like to see some virtual cockpits for the Project Orion (nuclear pulse). Something to help add a feeling of scale and mood to the ships and landers (maybe the space taxis too).

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd really like to see some virtual cockpits for the Project Orion (nuclear pulse). Something to help add a feeling of scale and mood to the ships and landers (maybe the space taxis too).

Yes, brilliant addon. :speakcool:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
ShuttleA could have robotic arm for loading and unloading cargo...
Getting parts or module to ISS or anything,it would be useful to have it.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

You can always attach an URMS. ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I also had the rather stupid idea to turn the Shuttle-A into a gun ship, like the C-130 got turned into the AC-130s.

But this would be rather a complete modification.

I agree, the Orion spacecraft could really need a VC, ideally with a habitat section like engineers imagined it in the late 1950s.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I also had the rather stupid idea to turn the Shuttle-A into a gun ship,

:rofl:

That'd be a hilarious addon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
:rofl:

That'd be a hilarious addon.

Yes, but not too hard from the meshing side. You would just replace the cargo modules by weapon modules. Harder would be, getting a central fire control circuit done.

joiz

Reaction score
ANYTHING made by sputnik. his stuff is so great but it has no VCs and its real annoying. 2001, world of colliers, orion, any of that stuff.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If somebody could make a good VC mesh for anything made by sputnik, I would have no problems doing a part of the code work. I use his stuff quite often and always wanted to add some VCs, but my meshing skills are just abyssmal.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think the Shuttle-A could use some improvements. It looks fitting as design, but is generally to dark and the important parameters are far apart. A few detail improvements of it would make sense to me.
I always thought this was a good candidate for enhancing with dbeachy's XRVesselCtrl interface so Orb:Connect clients could have more fun with it. Its such a useful vessel.

vchamp

Reaction score

I have to agree. The control panels are made very well but the rest requires modification. Shuttle-A really deserves a better cockpit, some new systems and UMmu support. This is one of my favorite vehicles.

yagni01 said:
I always thought this was a good candidate for enhancing with dbeachy's XRVesselCtrl interface so Orb:Connect clients could have more fun with it. Its such a useful vessel.

Is XRVesselCtrl interface only for Orb:Connect or there are other benefits of using it? I was wondering why XRVesselCtrl.h is included in XR2 release.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is XRVesselCtrl interface only for Orb:Connect or there are other benefits of using it? I was wondering why XRVesselCtrl.h is included in XR2 release.
The XRVesselCtrl interface is used by the XR vessels to allow advanced parameters to be easily retrieved or set. Any vessel can implement the interface.

Orb:Connect uses the XRVesselCtrl interface to access some of the more advanced parameters of vessels that use it, so it's possibly the most visible customer, but I'm sure you could think of other options for using it.