Tsunami survival capsule

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone remember the Rescue Ball (Personal Rescue Enclosure) that was meant to be a part of the emergency kit on Shuttle missions but never got off the ground? Well, here is the Japanese more sturdy cousin, supposedly designed to get you out of a tsunami.

noah-capsule.jpg

Don't know about you guys, but this thing seriously needs redesign, especially the holding bar in the middle.

The-shelter-made-from-fiber-enforced-plastic-is-1.2-metres-four-feet-in-diameter-and-can-hold-up-to-four-adults-inside.jpg

Doesn't it just scream: "Oi! My bones! My teeth!"?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'd have the capsule enlarged, padded and fitted with restraining belts or bars. The bar has to go, and there should be an option to split the capsule open or blow the hatch should it become impossible to operate the ingress/egress port.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, you get inside this, the water crumbles the building on top of it, and voila - no need to bother with burying the bodies afterwards.

Seriously, utility of this is not exactly obvious. What exactly is it supposed to protect against during a tsunami?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well... Mainly against being swept away, crushed, drowned or a combination of those.
Seriously, better a slight chance than no chance but it does need a redesign.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The survival odds would be better by sitting inside a carefully sealed Soyuz (re-used) SA on the beach, I bet... :hmm:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Where are the air holes.! Where's the kettle supposed to go.!

According to the specs, there are breathing holes. However, they could easily be blocked by dirt or debris. A pop-out snorkel would be better, and it could also use air scrubbers.

As I stated before, the concept may be sound but as it is now it looks like a lifeboat made of paper.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
The Japanise executives could get one and have a couple of pole dancers swing around the center. I think they'd get used to the idea of a couple of scrubbers in a floating coffin.

I suppose it would be better than this though... The poor persons chioce.

how-to-make-an-origami-water-bomb.WidePlayer.jpg

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Let me put it this way, the choice between getting into that thing, and facing a 10m wall of water rushing towards me is not immediately obvious. It looks positively like a death trap.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please, while jokes are good for morale in general, it is not obligatory to say that the Japanese nation as a whole liked the enormous suffering from the tsunami, quake and rad contamination. Re: survival - there's not much one can practically do against a tsunami except moving to the mountains. Capsules may save lives if equipped with food, water, beacons, straps, AND if getting into them and securing oneself is a matter of 30-40 seconds, AND if they are dirt cheap in terms of money, maintenance AND storage space.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I first read "Tsunami survival capsule", I immediately thought: a coastal launch pad for a Titan II rocket and a Gemini capsule on top... at first sign of tsunami warning, ascend to the capsule, launch, and avoid all damage while you orbit the Earth and land some tens of thousands of kilometers distant.

:shifty:

FADEC

Reaction score
I don't think that this is an entirely bad concept. Imagine you are at a flat area and you see all the water comming. You can try to run away but the water definately will be faster than you. I would rather try to jump into one of these capsules would they be available, rather than to be in the riptide of a tsunami. At least there is a chance to survive it this way. Your pure body most likely won't whitstand the riptide through the streets in the middle of lots of debris. It will be an uncomfortable ride for sure, ending up somewhere. But still better than to drown.

This car for example was a safe place for the driver in that particular case: