Question Tutorials I couldn't find

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
is there any tutorial of how to make a custom 2D panel by using VC Express or Gambas?

And also can orbiter handle something like a touchscreen full-colour MFD? I think that if I'm making a futuristic spacecraft then, its own flight computer should look more sophisticated than just lines and bars.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
is there any tutorial of how to make a custom 2D panel by using VC Express or Gambas?
You will need to VC++ (Express version is fine). The Orbiter SDK include documentation and sample source code (including the DeltaGlider, which has both 2D panel and virtual cockpit) that should get you pointed in the right direction.

On setting up the compiler: http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Free_Compiler_Setup

And also can orbiter handle something like a touchscreen full-colour MFD?
Not using Orbiter's built-in MFDs. There was a discussion of it here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1704

In a custom vessel panel? Possible, I think, by using dynamic textures.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I don't know what VC Express or Gambas is, but I do know, that you have to code your 2D panel in your DLL.

Natively Orbiter has no idea what a touchscreen is. But that is just a matter of mapping touchscreen areas into mouseclicks and/or button presses.
MFDs can be pretty colourfull and contain anything you can fit into GDI commands. No limits there.
If you meant to code a virtual touchscreen flight computer (a la DG IV), the last sentence about MFDs applies. Basicaly, there are no limits to systems simulation.

Happy Orbiting

edit: tblaxland beat me to it. Why didn't I see that he meant Visual C?!?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
For a custom MFD that's touchscreen in a custom vessel's panel or VC, could you dynamically modify the "clickable" areas of the panel or VC such that you have clickable areas overlapping the MFD display and corresponding to touchable areas on the MFD?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't see why you need anything special for touchscreen except maybe bigger buttons (lower res). I have a touchscreen tablet and have successfully manipulated Orbiter using it. Only problem is you can't get full purchase on the button-area when in up mode, and in tablet mode the keyboard is hidden so...useless :p

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Wow, great, thanks for the replies Tblaxland, TSpenguin and Hielor, so then, in concept, to make a touchscreen MFD then I just have to make some kind of transparent buttons, but how can that be managed? e.g. like there's a 2D panel, which contains the MFD and well, the visual body of it (like a frame) and then put another 2D panel which is transparent and contains a lot of buttons, but will that make the overlayed panel invisible? or can I have a transparent 2D panel with a frame and put the MFD behind it?

Tommy

Reaction score
I don't think a touchscreen can work for regular MFD's, since there's nothing in the MFD's code to handle the mouse.

You can create a "touchscreen" computer on a two d panel, though. The XR series vessel do this for the FC.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't see why you need anything special for touchscreen except maybe bigger buttons (lower res). I have a touchscreen tablet and have successfully manipulated Orbiter using it. Only problem is you can't get full purchase on the button-area when in up mode, and in tablet mode the keyboard is hidden so...useless :p

He's talking about the MFD in-game being a touch screen, not using Orbiter on a physical touch screen.

Wow, great, thanks for the replies Tblaxland, TSpenguin and Hielor, so then, in concept, to make a touchscreen MFD then I just have to make some kind of transparent buttons, but how can that be managed? e.g. like there's a 2D panel, which contains the MFD and well, the visual body of it (like a frame) and then put another 2D panel which is transparent and contains a lot of buttons, but will that make the overlayed panel invisible? or can I have a transparent 2D panel with a frame and put the MFD behind it?
Buttons on a 2d panel or VC are defined as areas on the panel which will be triggered when clicked. You don't need to have transparent buttons, because buttons are just defined areas--you could define several areas on the visible surface of the MFD which are clickable, you don't need an actual overlay pattern