New Release UCGO Packable Rover (bz_MiniRover)

Sideshow

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing happen when I did not have T&L HAL selected under video options. Using HAL only resluts in a crash. using T&L HAL results in no problems.

Stangely this is the only addon I have that crashes when using HAL only.

Hope this helps.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Code:
Device has no hardware T&L capability
If you want to have the best performance in Orbiter use hardware T&L (Transform & Lighting) capable rendering device. Because I haven't tried UCGO add-ons yet (no time), I don't know if it's connected to your crashes as my predecessor noticed, but if it's disabled, most graphical operations are performed in CPU instead of GPU, causing higher CPU load and therefore higher CPU heating.

In Orbiter Launcher in the Video tab tick "Always Enumerate Devices" checkbox, and select 3D device which has Direct3D T&L HAL with your graphics card name in parenthesis.

Also, in Windows Vista and newer, when ClearType is enabled, it causes higher FPS hit than in XP. There is a plug-in module called VistaBoost, which automatically disables ClearType for the time of Orbiter simulation running. It's recommended that you also use it. And it's the best to avoid placing Orbiter in Program Files in Windows Vista and newer, because of special privileges required to write there, UAC and data redirection.

Rattlehead

Reaction score
First of all, thank you guys for the info! I've also been instructed on this by TSPenguin via forum PM. Thanks to all of you for the input!

I had thought I had T&L enabled and was running at my native resolution (1440x900). However, having Orbiter in the Program Files folder was apparently preventing it from properly saving my video settings. *facepalm*

Now that I've moved it out to C:/Orbiter, I've been able to properly enable T&L and the rover hasn't crashed me since.

However, I do have a couple of other points to mention.

1. First, I think I might have an older version of the rover cargo. It doesn't seem to have a VC. Is there a way to check which version is installed?

2. I was able to cause some strange behavior. I loaded the bz_MiniRoverDemo scenario. This features a rover, with two UMMUs inside, and another rover packed as cargo on the back.

I dropped the cargo and then took one of the UMMUs out of the rover and had him unpack it. Since there's no collision detection, the two rovers were partially overlapped.

So, then, I tried to get the UMMU to enter the newly unpacked rover. I hit 'E' and the camera/vessel focus changed, but I'm not sure to which vessel. I think it changed to the new rover, but I'm not certain and didn't think to look because I was confused at this point.

See, the UMMU who got out and unpacked the rover was still there! He didn't enter the rover that he'd unpacked.

However, he had now been "cloned" and the original rover now had two UMMUs inside it! The new passenger had the same name as the original passenger, but with a 1 appended to the name.

Is this a known bug, or have we just found a new way to create life?:rofl:
Here's a screenshot. In this shot, I've moved the rovers around a bit, and had all of the UMMUs exit the rovers. But, you can see that there's now a third UMMU in the scenario which started with only two.

Lastly, thanks for the info on VistaBoost! I'll give that a shot!

teherik45

Reaction score
:sos: it keeps disapearing, it only appers when i get close to it help please