Unistellar Optics telescope.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Basically it's an all-in-one video astronomy system. I used to do a lot of video astronomy with my own scope. I can see the appeal of buying an all-in-one system for beginners, but I question how much staying power it will really have. The size of the optics are limited, and even with a short f ratio, there's just only so much you're going to be able to collect in sub exposures of a few seconds on an alt-az mount. I used to deal with all of these issues with my 8" LX200 using a Mallincam video astronomy system. I can see this scope being great for public outreach, but if you are using it every night there's going to come a point that you want to capture more of the galaxies and nebulae that it's showing you. The limited sub-exposure length is going to limit how deep you can go. I personally migrated to a full CCD system with an SBIG camera. Yes, it's more complicated to use, but the ability to expose for minutes instead of just seconds opens up the possibility to capture faint nebulae and galaxies I'd never get to my satisfaction with a video astronomy system on a small 8" scope, even with heavy focal reduction. If you want to do video astronomy, I'd recommend getting an LX90 or something similar and start there with a Revolution imager for video astronomy. That way you can upgrade to better CCDs later if you want, without having to replace the telescope.