Unrotation earth

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Is there a software that can based on some location time and viewport data unrotate the earth accurately?

I've been doing a few 64 seconds exposures lately with good results. But as I don't have an autoadjusting tripod the objects naturaly move throughout the exposure time.
Any suggestions? (other than eyeballing it)

Frin63

Reaction score
I very much doubt if there is software available for such a thing: it would have to take into effect not only the rotation on the earth for a certain latitude plus the camera attitude but also the optics of the camera lens.

A good way to make timed exposures is if you can find a simple telescope with those flexible controls for aiming it to the right position in the sky. Best is one with an equitorial mounting so you only need to turn one knob to keep it tracking a star.

You mount your camera on (next to it, not looking through it) the telescope (can be pointed a complete different different direction, as long as they turn together). You find some star in the telescope (near equator is best for precision) and keep it in the center of your crosshairs by hand during the exposure of your camera (you do need an extension cord, so you don't need to excert any force on the camera body) . I had some great results this way!

Salamander

Orbinaut
Reaction score
you don't need any software, all you need is a equatorial mount for your camera.

the simplest mount i know is this:

rap120.jpg

instructions you can find here
http://www.sterneerleben.info/gestalten/nachfuehrung/060627_kameranachfuehrung_web.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A simple motorized equatorial mount ( which can be bought used for about $100 on www.astromart.com)) will do all of this; I have my own observatory and take images with exposures of up to 10 minutes.
:)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input.
The whole point was not to use a mount. But seeing how easy they are to built, I just might do that at some point in the future.

Frin63 :welcome: to the forum!
Of course all those things would be needed to make it scientificaly correct, but I was thinking more like taking the streak and morphing it into a point ;)
I think I'll experiment with that manualy.