Question Username origins

Wonderer

Reaction score
This isn't the username I normally go with, but I decided to use this one because my other username isn't in English, and because I sort of bumped into Orbiter while wondering the internet :lol:

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Mine was not (originally) an Orbiter name at all.

I went to a class which set up the desks in a horseshoe, for class collaboration, and blackboards and whiteboards around the outside of the classroom, so everybody blocked everybody else's view of somewhere. The guy across from me complained about the size of my head, and quoted the movie "So I Married an Axe Murder". He said, "Look at his head! It's like Sputnik! It's got its own weather system!"

So I got a nickname from then on.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Long story short:

While signing up for my 1st online FPS (MOH) many "moons" ago, I was reminded of my NEC and what my job would have been had I actually seen combat.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
So, the original intended pronunciation was something like "ee-ay-lore". Turns out that pretty much no one got the joke, and people just called me "high-lore", so that's what it ended up being.

Funny, when I first saw it I somehow read it with the "i" in the second syllable, i.e: "Helior", so I thought it had something to do with the sun.

When I realized the "i" was in the first syllable, I started reading it as "hee-el-ore" or "hyel-ore".

Didn't make the connection to "hielo" though.

Quintuss

Reaction score
An ancient Roman name. Actually my third, Confirmation name. And it gave me plenty of chicks :lol:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I was going to be playing WoW with my friends, and it had been decided in advance that I would be playing a frost mage, so I needed a nice frosty-sounding name. "Hielo" is Spanish for "ice," and to make it sound more like a name I added the R. So, the original intended pronunciation was something like "ee-ay-lore". Turns out that pretty much no one got the joke, and people just called me "high-lore", so that's what it ended up being.

I still use it because it's a pretty much globally unique name--if you see a "hielor" anywhere, odds are it's me, and the first couple pages of search results are pretty much all me.

Funny, when I first saw it I somehow read it with the "i" in the second syllable, i.e: "Helior", so I thought it had something to do with the sun.

When I realized the "i" was in the first syllable, I started reading it as "hee-el-ore" or "hyel-ore".

Didn't make the connection to "hielo" though.

That's funny, I did the same thing when I first read his name. It took a while for me to notice that the i was in the first syllable, but even still I read it as Helior. Habit, I suppose :shrug:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Just a silly name i picked for a flight sim many years ago (falcon 4)

Funny how these late night decisions stay with you... :)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I was signing up to Runescape (don't worry, I stopped playing it many eons ago) just after watching Star Wars: Episode 2, and so chose jangofett, but it was taken, and the site suggested that I use jangofett287, so I did, and I've never been bothered to pick another one.

Actually, that's not true. I have in some places recently used various deformations of my real name to form my username/ screen name, but usually its jangofett287 for the logon.
Recently I've come up with a new username that I'm yet to use. DiZZiD. If I tell you it was inspired by a character called DiZ, can anyone guess the game he's from?

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
mine was my very first email address from back when "ul never fill up a 500mb HDD" and it just stuck to me. Lately iv come to like the nickname "Ghost" that my friends gave me for my gaming play-style. The problem is that ghost is almost always one of the first names taken for any game/forum.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Mine's pretty simple. My first name is Mark, my last name starts with an L, and I was born on March 16th.

Mrev95

Reaction score
My user name is the first letter of my first name, followed by the first three letters of my last name. After that, my birth year ('95).

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Mine HAS got to be the most boring of all: abbreviated name plus year of birth, 1991 of course. :)

I used some other nicknames once or twice, but at the end settled on this five or six years ago at least.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Long, long ago ... I was a musician in search of a flight simulator. When I signed up to avism to browse their file library I chose a username that was at once aeronautical and musical: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Miles_High"]eightmileshigh[/ame].

A year or so later I joined the M6 forum, essentially keeping the same name but lifting its altitude above the atmosphere.

PS. This thread makes me feel old. May I suggest a sub-forum for over-thirties? We could call it 'decaying orbits.'

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Although I know that this simulator isn't only created for the benefit of me, it is still created for the benefit of me.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
There's a scene in the movie "The Right Stuff" where Gus Grissom asks Gordo Cooper what the term "astronaut" means. His response: "Star Voyager" (hence the username).