New Release USS Horizon

KirkUnit

Reaction score
I'm just about finished with my first add-on: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4047"]Horizon NCC-176[/ame]

The USS Horizon is a pre-TOS era Daedalus class explorer. The model is very simple with a "generic" config, and no animations. It was done mostly as a study in applying textures.

I should have it cleaned up and uploaded over the weekend. As always constructive criticism and advice is welcome and appreciated.

-KU

Attachments

• Horizon.jpg
    Horizon.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 134

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It looks intresting. The Medical ship in " All Good Things " was clearly based on that same design layout. It fact, that was one of the original designs for the Enterprise but it got shot down by the Network.

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Yes, I know, the history of the design rather well. ;)

In researching the design on the internet, I came up with no less than 3 different sets of specifications. I went with the smallest which gives it a LOA of 105 meters. Other sources specified lengths of 115 m and 165 m.

When flying in concert with a stock Delta Glider, it looks to be about the right size.

-KU

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 05:10 PM ----------

Just uploaded it to Orbithangar!

Hopefully I dinna screw up the files or anything stupid like that! Will add a link as soon as it is approved!

-KU

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Here is the link:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4047"]Horizon NCC-176[/ame]

I forgot to add a picture on the intial upload. I've gone back and added it now and it should be there shortly.

-KU

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Looks good. I wish I knew how to texture good. I am very basic at that.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Want this class the testbed for warp 6/7 engines? Which if I remember right was a massive decade long upgrade program for the Archer Warp 5 engine?

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Actually, the design which eventually became the Daedalus class was the orginal design for the USS Enterprise in the Original Series - it was discarded in favor of the Matt Jefferies design we all know and love!

It was then embraced by Trekkers as a design that preceeded the Constitution class. A whole mythos has been built up around it ever since.

I'm not a Trek "purist" but I consider everything after Star Trek:TNG/Star Trek - Generations to be "non-cannon". For instance, in First Contact, Zephrum Cochran was born and lived on Earth, in TOS it is clearly stated that he was from Alpha Centarui...

Kirk: Zephrum Cochran, of Alpha Centarui, the discoverer of the Space Warp?"
TOS Episode - Metamorphosis

I don't know what the story line in Enterprise had to say about the design as I didn't follow the series that closely. (I'm not a big fan of the "Akiraprise"!)

-KU

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Kirk: Zephrum Cochran, of Alpha Centarui, the discoverer of the Space Warp?"
TOS Episode - Metamorphosis

He was born on Earth and relocated to Alpha Centuri after he invented the warp drive. if he hadn't invented warp drive humans would have needed generational ships to get to Alpha Centuri.

KirkUnit

Reaction score
That is a bit of "revisionist history" that came out after First Contact.;)

At 4.37 Light Years distant, Alpha Centauri is well within the range of non-FTL ships. At only 25% of the speed of light, it would only take about 17.5 years to get there.

-KU

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
That is a bit of "revisionist history" that came out after First Contact.;)

At 4.37 Light Years distant, Alpha Centauri is well within the range of non-FTL ships. At only 25% of the speed of light, it would only take about 17.5 years to get there.

-KU

And why the hell would he want to take such a long trip? And on top of that it would be extremely difficult to arrange for such a ship after. Say every frakking major city on earth blown to bits after the desperate east attack in the ST World War 3. There is no population explosion anymore so there is little will to go to another solar system before warp anyway.

Enterprise is cannon. Your enterprise lies in a different universe if it does not involve "First Contact" It is valid but more valid along the lines of Starfleet museum.

Anyway about the Warp 6/7 engine. Before the Romulan war the NX-01 Enterprise went back to exploring and making first contacts. After the war started the data from NX-01 and NX-02s warp core was used to design a new Warp engine program. So by the 2200s starships would have been able to go much faster.

In the game "Star Trek Legacy" This type of class seems to be a mass produced warp vessel. It is more TOS in style so the only thing I can figure is this class or similar was a testbed for the new engine and other tech before going into a mass produced design. I mean think about it. The shape means it can be assembled quickly and even with the 1701 flying about in the low part of Warp 9 you still need a "workhorse" of the fleet.

KirkUnit

Reaction score
And why the hell would he want to take such a long trip? And on top of that it would be extremely difficult to arrange for such a ship after. Say every frakking major city on earth blown to bits after the desperate east attack in the ST World War 3. There is no population explosion anymore so there is little will to go to another solar system before warp anyway.

Why indeed!

Why did Columbus sail West during the Inquistion? Why did Lief Erickson make his voyages of discovery during the Dark Ages? Why did Polynesians sail thousands of miles across the South Pacific without a compass? Why did tribes of humans migrate NORTHward during an Ice Age to cross the frozen Bearing Sea into the "New World"?

Because it is what we do! ;)

Enterprise is cannon. Your enterprise lies in a different universe if it does not involve "First Contact" It is valid but more valid along the lines of Starfleet museum.

Enterprise showed a great deal of promise and there are parts of it that I like. However, on the whole, it was written with a great deal of disregard for what had gone before.

And, yes, a good deal of my reference material came from the Starfleet Museum.

Anyway about the Warp 6/7 engine. Before the Romulan war the NX-01 Enterprise went back to exploring and making first contacts. After the war started the data from NX-01 and NX-02s warp core was used to design a new Warp engine program. So by the 2200s starships would have been able to go much faster.

Uh... Okay...

In the game "Star Trek Legacy" This type of class seems to be a mass produced warp vessel. It is more TOS in style so the only thing I can figure is this class or similar was a testbed for the new engine and other tech before going into a mass produced design. I mean think about it. The shape means it can be assembled quickly and even with the 1701 flying about in the low part of Warp 9 you still need a "workhorse" of the fleet.

Never played Star Trek Legacy...

All I'm trying to do is to build some ships from the Star Trek Universe for Orbiter that I hope people here will enjoy. Along with that I am giving a little background on myself and an feelings about Star Trek. I'm not trying to convert anybody, I just want to let you know where I'm coming from with the ships I build.

Enjoy!

-KU