sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
VelcSplash.jpg

Now at Orbithangar: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3388"]Velcro Rockets v1.1[/ame]

At long last, we'll try a release of Velcro Rockets.

Velcro Rockets came about from an effort to design a "generic" CVEL stage, one that takes its parameters from a .cfg file. You could, for example, build a Centaur-D or Saturn-IVb as a CVEL-capable stage, just by tweaking the .cfg entries, rather than compiling from scratch.
Partway through, I realized that, by using my Flyback F-1 code as a basis instead, the stage could also act like the Flyback F-1: you could carry a stage on top with an attach point rather than CVEL. Or, you could parallel-stage it instead, piggybacking the engine and tank onto some other stage that wasn't designed for it.
Fully generic strap-ons were possible. Also, I added a crossfeeding capability, so drop tanks could be made, too.

There's a fully capable very generic autopilot, too. You can make a complete multi-stage rocket, and it works, though it's harder to use than multistage.dll.

There are many thanks in the documentation file, but I'd particularly like to thank Urwumpe, who's gone above and beyond to make this project a success. Also, thanks to everyone who contributed models to this project, especially Urwumpe (again), Alex (STS-107), BrianJ, DaveS, erv, 80mileshigh, Travmind, and more.

Velcro Rockets: stick stuff to stuff!

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Very nice add-on and collection of LVs and concepts!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There are many thanks in the documentation file, but I'd particularly like to thank Urwumpe, who's gone above and beyond to make this project a success. Also, thanks to everyone who contributed models to this project, especially Urwumpe (again), Alex (STS-107), BrianJ, erv, 80mileshigh, Travmind, and more.

:blush:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
After taking a closer look on the IUS, I believe the meshes+textures for that one is mine, from this add-on I made in collaboration with Alex a couple of years ago: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2610"]CVEL IUS upper stage v1.0[/ame]

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Will this work with universal cargo deck

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
DaveS,

I apologize profusely for the oversight. I knew it as Alex's IUS; did not know you did the textures. I'll fix the thanks in the documentation, unless you'd prefer some other remedy, in which case, e-mail me.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Will this work with universal cargo deck

I actually have NO idea; I haven't tested that. It SHOULD, but I'm not sure I understand how UCD works, so I'd say the only test is to try it.

Addendum: I'm pretty sure that if you attach a strap-on motor to an attached UCD vessel, you will, at best, get no thrust from that strap-on. More straightforward implementations ought to work, though.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Yes it works Just like it should :) so now I can Have SRB's on a Dgiv :) !

santy86

Reaction score
Hi sputnik,

First of all, congratulations for your nice add-on, a really nice idea to combine CVEL with your parallel burning.

Maybe you know that i released my first add-on few days ago. Is the Saturn INT-21 published on orbithangar.

I noticed today that when i installed your add-on, my rocket gets textured (there was only a mesh from NASSP 6.4.0). Basically you created the texture sic.dds adn other which somehow texture perfectly my add-on :lol: (I KNOW IT'S QUITE COMIC) :lol:

In any case, is it a problem for you that my add-on uses your texture or should we change something? :)

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Santy86,

Oops; I meant to mention that as a known issue. While my .cfg files are in Config/Velcro, and my meshes are in Meshes/Velcro, I didn't edit the meshes to point to a new texture directory. They're all in the /Textures directory, just like TomPA's originals.

I don't think this is a problem; I'm glad I could texture your meshes. The only problem might be if someone has better textures, and Velcro Saturns over-writes them. It'll take some care in installation to prevent this from causing problems, in that one case.

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Aha! I remembered hearing you mention this a loooong while ago on M6. So long ago that I had totally forgotten about it, until I was reminded of the project by the release itself.

Needless to say, it is a pleasant surprise. :)

Another thing I was reminded of was how much I was looking forward to it, so I am very grateful to now see its release. Thank you.

Now to unzip it and try it out.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I have been using the LRB Zenit version to build a fast launcher to lob probes all over the solar system!

#1 HAIL PROBE!!

#2 Building up the upper stages is fun! I got a delta 3 upper stage attached already and I am going to add a star motor so that the Zenit 2nd stage burns out suborbital and falls into the ocean.

#3 HAIL PROBE!!!

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I guess I underestimated the raw power of such a launcher even with the heavy 3rd stage Star upper stage and 5000 probe I had to reduce the fuel by a whopping 35 percent on the 2nd stage so that it would dump in the ocean...

I guess I need something a heck of alot bigger than the Delta 3 2nd stage!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That is a very good idea, all those boosters and assemblies...

But there is a nasty problem - every time quicksave is done, the stack reassembles itself in mid-flight.
Effectively, there is no way to save.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Well I built something here.

You have the dump the 2nd stage manually (Has 8 percent fuel left at MECO)

But it can toss a probe anywhere in the solar system! Fast!

HAIL PROBE!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 48

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well I built something here.

You have the dump the 2nd stage manually (Has 8 percent fuel left at MECO)

But it can toss a probe anywhere in the solar system! Fast!

HAIL PROBE!!
Nice "velcro'ing" there!

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Sputnik I am having a problem here.

You can see the launcher I am using above. For some reason it is causing problems with the latest version of IMFD added to this problem is the rocket moves around on the ground under high time acceleration for no reason at all.

I discovered if I switched to the star stage I could get a halfway reading but when I returned to the main stage to launch. It just sits there on the pad burning fuel like it is nothing.

An attempt to fix this by moving it to another pad caused the rocket to be slung halfway out into the ocean during launch for no reason..

Very sad :( I wanted to use this to launch probes!

EDIT: Strangely the IMFD issue went away. However, For reference I will keep this here.

Last edited: