Question Vendors for low-end, maintainable laptops

Linguofreak

Reaction score
My dad and I are looking for a laptop for my mom, who is a non-techie, with low performance requirements. In shopping for family systems (or, for myself, for personal systems), where we have somewhat higher performance requirements, we've generally gone with buying professional-grade systems from major vendors (and for my own part, my desktop is home-built), which tends to make for much better maintainability than consumer systems, which tend to be built with the assumption that only authorized technicians will be performing repairs, and are as likely as not to require the entire system to be disassembled to replace any given part.

Performance doesn't matter in this case, but if I'm going to have to open the thing up, I don't want to have to deal with consumer-level build quality.

The problem is, I'm not aware of many vendors that sell high maintainability laptops with low-end specifications and mid-range price points. Everything seems to be either low-maintainability consumer systems, which tend to be available over a range of performance points with matching price points, or systems targeted at businesses/techies with high maintainability, mid-to-high performance, and high price points.

Can anybody give recommendations for vendors in the US that I might look into?

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
I only know vendors in Europe, so you're probably cheaper off in the US. But I'd recommend getting her a netbook or something similar. Many of those things run Windows 10. I got my dad a mid-range classical laptop, and he proceeded to almost completely clog the air intakes with cigarette ash (he had the ash-tray habitually placed right next to the laptop). So it should be as 'closed' as possible Preferably passive cooling, if possible.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
We actually did manage to find something in the interim. Thanks anyways.