Internet Video Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it's the "family friendly" version. :lol: Pretty common usage, not something made up on the fly usually.

"Holy Mole" (spanish mole ~ pronounced "mole-ee" or "mole-ay") is another variant.

You will also occasionally hear "Holy Toledo!" as another sanitized variant. But if you visit, you should be aware that Toledo Ohio is decidedly unholy. I now wonder where the whole "Holy " meme cropped up.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Here's a video I quite enjoyed, especially after seeing Star Wars VII tonight (no spoilers in here, don't worry):

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Linguistic question - is 'Holy smokes'! a think you say when you get to the letter s of the other word, realize there are kids around, and scramble for a replacement, or is it an expression on it's own?

Nowadays, yes, but it's quite possible that both were earlier used to avoid "Holy Ghost" (= Святой_Дух, though the use of "Ghost" instead of "Spirit" is a bit of an archaism). I seem to vaguely remember hearing that it used to be used in the same context as "Jesus Christ" or "Oh my God" might be used nowadays as an expression of shock/anger/etc, and all three phrases are offensive in religious circles when used in such a way, as they're seen as violating the third commandment. Terms like "Gee whiz", "cripes", and "Oh my gosh" came into being as means of avoiding breaking the third commandment, and the phonetic structure of the word "smokes" in "Holy smokes" suggests that it was meant to be an avoidance of "Ghost". But the use of the term "Holy Ghost" in that context, if it ever was used, is further in the past, so I'm less sure of the origins of "Holy smokes" than I am of "Oh my gosh".

---------- Post added at 03:56 ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 ----------

As a further debunking of that myth, I've heard it mentioned that while jet fuel does not burn hotter than the melting point of steel, aluminum does, and there was plenty of aluminum in the structure of the aircraft involved, plus an ignition source provided by the jet fuel fires, and aluminum-water chemistry (with the water supplied by broken water mains in the buildings) would have made the aluminum fire even worse.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
A continuation of the AK-47 fire till it brakes. Shoot it when its on fire!!!!

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This one cracked me up.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbE-zAQ5PE"]Space Shuttle emergency. Miniatur Wunderland Fire Fighters Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Pretty implementation. :thumbup:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Pretty indeed, but in the "Shuttle emergency landing" video category, this one always wins:

Graham2001

Reaction score
An Italian film (Subtitles are available) about what happens when you are prepared to fight the last war and encounter someone who has partially prepared to fight the next...

The Battle of Cape Matapan

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How to really land on a moving target: