Internet Video Thread

Graham2001

Reaction score
As with all the fanvids by Warren Dubeau, the greatest fun is seeing just how many of the films you can identify without resorting to the creators list...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just stumbled on this YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JacksonTyler ...

and started with Apollo 16
Which was excellent!

With just 2.07K subscribers, I think it deserves more.
Too bad he takes 16mm film and SD video (and lower quality that), digitalized who knows how, crops half of it and/or stretches the image horizontally so it's 16:9, and then upscales to 4K. ?‍♂️?‍♂️
I don't really care how many algorithms were used or how smart they are, if the data isn't there... then it isn't there.
It reminds me of a guy who thought that if he took a 360p video and played it in a big HDTV screen, it would be HD quality... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/rant

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It reminds me of a guy who thought that if he took a 360p video and played it in a big HDTV screen, it would be HD quality... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Could be worse. I once had to explain to a colleague that he couldn't just plug any ol'e RS232 plug into a VGA monitor and expect it to display scaled, filtered, sans-serif, white, numbers (or whatever he thought it was going to look like) on the screen.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Premiering March 26, 2021 in theaters and also on HBO Max for 31 days starting the same date.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Too bad he takes 16mm film and SD video (and lower quality that), digitalized who knows how, crops half of it and/or stretches the image horizontally so it's 16:9, and then upscales to 4K. ?‍♂️?‍♂️
I don't really care how many algorithms were used or how smart they are, if the data isn't there... then it isn't there.

/rant
When I'm doing restorations I don't crop. 4:3 looks really nice on big screens and also fits mobile well (on portrait orientation).
If the video is more generic sometimes I do crop. It depends on the camera work. But I always move the cropped area around for good framing.
But there's no excuse for stretched images or 4K clickbait.

This being said, YouTube is highly compressed so uploading upscales will ensure better quality...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It reminds me of a guy who thought that if he took a 360p video and played it in a big HDTV screen, it would be HD quality...
I can't even tell you how many customers are asking us for 4k timelapse publication (vs. HD) because "that looks better on my IPhone". The placebo is real...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
As I said, an upscale will have less visible compression artifacts. For example macroblocks will be smaller, therefore less visible.
The same with dynamic range upscale. 8bit images compress better than 10bits (less error)...
So it's not placebo.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A classic !

"... even more than Han Solo could imagine" ?

and more in depht :

"everytime this station fires all people aboard will... liquefy aargh" ?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just stumbled over this video on safety culture... really a good spark for some thinking about how we approach historic accidents in our spaceflight community:

Not: What did people do wrong? But: What motivated people to decide wrong?

The same person, who is easily blamed as a villian, can also be a hero at the same time. Just think of Dyatlov during the Chernobyl accident, whose past experiences and outside pressures pushed towards bad decisions, while at the same time, working really hard after the accident himself to prevent worse damage and contracting a LD50 dose of radiation that he survived for some years. (And contrary to what the Chernobyl series paints of him - quite many lines by Dyatlov there had actually been closer to what the real world Akimov decided during the accident.) They all had been misled by the past experiences, outside pressures and the interaction with the other workers in the control room.