News Vintage plane crashes into crowd at Reno air races

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't heard in the chatbox:

RENO, Nev. — A World War II-era plane crashed into a seating area at the annual Reno air races on Friday, killing the pilot and possibly others and injuring at least 75 people. One official described the scene as a "mass-casualty situation."

Witnesses reported a horrific scene of blood and body parts strewn across the crash site.

The accident happened just before 4:30 p.m. during the National Championship Air Races at the Reno-Stead Airport, KTVN-TV reported.

Witnesses told KTVN that planes in the Unlimited race were ascending when one aircraft started to nose-dive and then crashed near a spectator stand in the southeast corner. KTVN said the aircraft was a vintage P-51.

The plane splintered into pieces, strewing debris into the nearby stands.

Mike Draper, a spokesman for the Reno National Championship Air Races, described the scene as "a mass-casualty situation."

Michael Houghton, president and CEO of the Reno Air Racing Association, told reporters Friday evening that the pilot, Jimmy Leeward, 80, was killed but he couldn't confirm how many others died, only that there were other casualties.

Stephanie Kruse, a spokeswoman for the Regional Emergency Medical Service Authority, told The Associated Press more than 75 people were injured, 25 critically.

Reno Fire Chief Michael Hernandez told the Reno Gazette-Journal earlier there were at least 30 serious and 30 intermediate injuries.

Local TV stations aired videotape of the scene that showed numerous people being treated at the scene or being carried on stretchers to ambulances. Debris from the crash was strewn through a seating area in front of the grandstands. A line of military jets could be seen in the background.

“It’s just like a massacre. It’s like a bomb went off,” said Dr. Gerald Lent of Reno, who witnessed the crash, told the Reno Gazette-Journal. “There are people lying all over the runway.”

He added: “One guy was cut in half. There’s blood everywhere. There’s arms and legs."

Video apparently taken from the stands and posted on YouTube showed a plane crashing nose-down at the show after several other planes raced by in the air. Spectators could be heard gasping: "Oh my God."

The plane that crashed was named Galloping Ghost and was piloted by Leeward, an 80-year-old real estate developer from Ocala, Fla. Houghton said Leeward had been flying at the Reno air races since 1975.

Leeward flew into Reno for this year's air show and races with several members of his family and friends, race officials said.

The plane went down soon after take-off during the beginning of the Unlimited race, KOLO reported.

"It was in the Unlimited Gold race on about the second lap when the third-place aircraft, No. 177, the Galloping Ghost flown by Jimmy Leeward experienced mechanical problems,” said Tim O'Brien, a Grass Valley resident on assignment at the races for The Union newspaper. “The plane vaulted violently upward, followed by a dive straight into the front of the reserve grandstands.

“There were hundreds of people in the stands. There are definitely casualties," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

Jeff Martinez, a KRNV weatherman, was just outside the air race grounds at the time of the crash. He said he saw the plane veer to the right and then "it just augered straight into the ground."

"You saw pieces and parts going everywhere," he said. "Everyone is in disbelief."

Another witness told KRNV that the plane came down in a section of box seats near the grandstands and disintegrated on impact, spewing debris hundreds of feet in the air.

The National Championship Air Races draws thousands of people every year in September to watch various military and civilian planes race.

The races have attracted scrutiny in the past over safety concerns, including four pilots killed in 2007 and 2008. It was such a concern that local school officials once considered whether they should not allow student field trips at the event.

The competition is like a car race in the sky, with planes flying wingtip-to-wingtip as low as 50 feet (15.2 meters) off the sagebrush at speeds sometimes surpassing 500 mph (800 kph). Pilots follow an oval path around pylons, with distances and speeds depending on the class of aircraft.

The competition is done in six classes of aircraft, the races’ website says. The unlimited class “has generally been populated by stock or modified WWII fighters with the P-51 Mustangs, F-8F Bearcats and Hawker Sea Fury being flown most often. The Unlimited Class flies in speeds exceeding 500 mph,” the website says.

Video of crash

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44556695/ns/us_news-life/#.TnP7Z-x0iSo

Thanks to iamwearingpants for originally informing us

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
According to CNN, the toll was two, and expected to rise.

USA today said up to three.

Definitely paled by the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramstein_airshow_disaster"]Ramstein air disaster[/ame] though.

CNN's report on the air show crash.

Looks like the Mustang was in an accelerated stall.

"But I would like to say, I don't think the plane stalled. The engine stayed on the whole time . . ."

You can stall an airframe with the engine operating at full bore, or completely idle. It depends upon how much air flow is over the wings providing useable lift.

If I recall correctly, the Mustang IS stall-prone.

A list of P-51 Mustang accidents, 2010-1964.

Note that the more recent accidents involve stalls, and especially prominently during maneuvering.

Quote cited: Telephone interview w/ Ben Cissell. CNN. Anderson Cooper Live.

Last edited:

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
Looks like one bystander had his leg sliced off at the thigh in this video, about 45 m in :blink: - the area looks like a bomb was detonated. A reporter was saying the airplane hit the ground at 400 mph or so.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ouch. :(

Last edited:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Out of respect for those who died can you PLEASE not describe what happened like its a damn football game?

And the fact that a vintage aircraft was destroyed is more important than the loss of 3 people and the many who will likely be disabled after this is more important?

Priorities folks!

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No, it's not a football game, and no . . . I took no entertainment out of any of this. I'm not mocking what I saw. I called it as I saw it.

It's unfortunate. It was an accident. An unfortunate accident. A low altitude stall of any kind is a bad situation to be in, and if there's any luck that came of this event, it's that fewer people were injured or killed than has already come out.

My point in my analysis (if there really is any point anymore) is that :censored: happens. It's inescapable . . . a fact of life. If we don't learn something from it, or at least take something quasi-positive from it . . . then what's the point of even reflecting on it?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
You can stall an airframe with the engine operating at full bore, or completely idle. It depends upon how much air flow is over the wings providing useable lift.

If I recall correctly, the Mustang IS stall-prone.

Of course, this confusion is caused by the double meaning of the word "stall", which in an automotive context does refer to an engine failure.

Even so, the observation made in that quote that "the engine stayed on the whole time" does not preclude an engine failure, as, if the prop wasn't feathered, it would still be rotating fairly rapidly and probably making some noise, which an untrained bystander might not be able to tell from normal engine noise (not to mention that noise from other aircraft might make it difficult to determine if any one aircraft had suffered an engine failure).

A list of P-51 Mustang accidents, 2010-1964.

Note that the more recent accidents involve stalls, and especially prominently during maneuvering.

I'm hearing mention that the pilot made a mayday call pulled out of the race after an unspecified mechanical failure, so I doubt that any maneuver he made was the primary cause. Most likely he stalled after either an engine failure left him with insufficient airspeed, or some other failure left him unable to adequately control aircraft. I've not seen any footage that shows the loss of control itself (just the resulting near-vertical dive into the ground), so I can't say anything for certain.

Turbinator

Reaction score
That is bad, almost looks like that Sknyliv Airshow Disaster raw footage video. :(

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
No, it's not a football game, and no . . . I took no entertainment out of any of this. I'm not mocking what I saw. I called it as I saw it.

It's unfortunate. It was an accident. An unfortunate accident. A low altitude stall of any kind is a bad situation to be in, and if there's any luck that came of this event, it's that fewer people were injured or killed than has already come out.

My point in my analysis (if there really is any point anymore) is that :censored: happens. It's inescapable . . . a fact of life. If we don't learn something from it, or at least take something quasi-positive from it . . . then what's the point of even reflecting on it?

I don't believe you. You said "OUCH". In my opinion. That is not something you say out of respect for those who just lost their loved ones. That is something you say when a quarterback gets sacked for a ten yard loss. Or a youtube video of someone trying to gain a darwin award by doing a grind on a rail and its subsequent failure leading to epic bandages. NOT innocent people there to watch an exciting air race.

And your comment wasn't the worst in my opinion. It was the one before yours. Complete with a emotion icon.

This is getting sick folks. Stop it.

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com

And your comment wasn't the worst in my opinion. It was the one before yours. Complete with a emotion icon.

That was supposed to express "shocked" - I am certainly not the sort to joke about such tragedies!

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't believe you. You said "OUCH". In my opinion. That is not something you say out of respect for those who just lost their loved ones. That is something you say when a quarterback gets sacked for a ten yard loss. Or a youtube video of someone trying to gain a darwin award by doing a grind on a rail and its subsequent failure leading to epic bandages. NOT innocent people there to watch an exciting air race.

Right. I did say that.

All semantics aside, when you go to an air show, you are there to see competent, capable pilots flying high performance machines to an envelope well beyond the norm. I've seen some people do crazy things with some of these airplanes, and there is always the possibility for something to go wrong.

Now, I do apologize for my callousness -- both in my initial post and my analysis thereof. It seems you feel that I am regarding this event in a sort of 'Beavis and Butthead' sort of manner -- I am not. I am simply trying to process for myself what happened earlier today -- critical analysis is often the best way to understand.

Furthermore, my editing of my original reaction to the vid Suzy posted was because I did see the possibility for my 'tone' to be misconstrued exactly the way you seem to have taken it. Can a surprise reaction (however carelessly posted) be understood?

Please understand not everyone in the world is evil.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Very well. Lets just keep the descriptions on what happened to the people to a minimum and respect their privacy and grief of their families during this period.

And while yes there is indeed a mild risk going to an air race. These machines are required by law to meet a standard of safety. There is a certain amount of safety expected. And the loss is terrible because of it.

That is the difference between going to a well maintained airshow and going to say an unlawful street race with no barricades or rules on safety.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
terrible thing to happen, i almost didnt believe what i read.

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
reno.jpg

So, where is the pilot?

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
There are some AP photos circulating of the aircraft prior to the crash showing that its elevator trim tab was missing.

866-LEzf1.Em.55.jpg

Looks like high speed elevator flutter caused loss of control. What a terrible accident.