OHM Vostok

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: igel

Just in time for the Great Anniversary - retrace the first ever human space flight! Join Yuri Gagarin as he travels into history! Sit in his chair - and hold tight! Plus, you get other  manned Vostok missions, including dual flights, the first female cosmonaut, etc. Plus all pre-Vostok launches of the Korabl-Sputnik test items, including dog missions, unsuccessful launches, etc. Plus some hypothetical emergency demos. Documentation in English and Russian. Orbiter 2006-2010.

DOWNLOAD

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
In just a little over a month, we will be celebrating 50 years of the first human space flight. Half a century! Seeing this event coming (about a year ago), and having most of the needed infrastructure ready, we simply could not let this opportunity pass! So, here it is - the reconstruction of the historic flight of Yuri Gagarin, as detailed and accurate as we could only get it! And, of course, addon is not limited to just Gagarin's flight only. It actually covers all Vostok program - end-to-end, including all unmanned launched with and without dogs, failed and successful. This addon is a tribute to all people of that exiting era, whose efforts made these flights possible. By visualizing their achievements in today's 3D technology, we wanted to celebrate and appreciate their courage, persistence and pioneering spirit...

An important word about documentation. Addon comes with with detailed manuals in Russian and English. Whichever you use - read it thoroughly and keep handy. This short note is not a replacement for documentation - I just cannot repeat the full contents of the multi-page document in a brief forum post! And addon is so loaded, so involved, that you will eventually very likely have to read every single page in in the manual to get to its bottom! Even installing addon and configuring Orbiter for its use may take some reading - this is the price to pay for any addon of significant complexity. Luckily, Vostok is compatible with both Orbiter 2006 and Orbiter 2010, so if you don't succeed in one, try the other - and don't forget to read the manual!

I can't express enough thanks to everyone helping us with is - they are all listed in the manual as well. I also hope that you'll get at least as much fun playing with this addon as we had making it. It was a long, exhausting, intense marathon, but at the same time it was a very joyful and rewarding experience for everyone involved. Now time came to share the fun!

Poehali!

vchamp

Reaction score
Holy moly! I have yet to fly this, but looking at the manual itself impresses so much. It will take a few hours just to read it and prepare for the historic flight. Many thanks to the development team!

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You have done it! :tiphat: :cheers: :hail:

...Поехали!...

EDIT: 22-inch monitor recommended... Gotta write a grant proposal...

Last edited:

Nazban

Reaction score
awsome!!! thanks a lot, looking forward to using this!!:tiphat:

mc_

Reaction score
I thought, release will be on the Anniversary day, but... Vostok needs some practice to control it, especially in manual mode (almost nothing in common with default Orbiter controls - read the manual).

At that day we'll be ready to repeat the flight.

Поехали!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Time for me to get back to Orbiter after two months... Good that I have two computer available now, that makes reading through the manual a bit easier...

Nistenf

Reaction score
Amazing! Thank you! I'll have to work my way through the russian cabin with the manual

datubaman

Reaction score
Just downloaded it, read the manual, and thought, 'dammit, I'm gonna have to print this thing out.' So I hit print, and then I realized.

The manual is 39 pages long!

The only manuals that I can think of that are that long are the TransX MFD manual (which isn't surprising because it is a tool for doing damn near anything), and the AMSO EVA manual (which, also isn't surprising because it covers six missions worth of work), and maybe the...

God damn it, my printer ran out of ink!

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Wow, someone still using inkjets these days! That would really hurt, sorry to hear... Really a significant part of the manual tells about recommendations on configuring-installing, so it is only needed once or twice. Also, English manual has more pages because of additional translation stuff. But the rest of the pages are still needed. After all, though rather simple by today's standards, Vostok was anything but primitive! :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, printing the 39 pages isn't really a problem, I use both sides of the paper anyway. :lol:

What I miss during the first quickly look over it, is more information about flight plans and actual procedures. You describe well enough how to do something, but not that good, what has to be done when.

Another thing: The lamp test button should have an option to hold it, I have not yet found out how to move the FOV and keep it pressed.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I guess I have to solve the ground loop problem with my notebook and 22" screen, it may be a bit hard with a small 15" screen... :lol:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
What I miss during the first quickly look over it, is more information about flight plans and actual procedures. You describe well enough how to do something, but not that good, what has to be done when.

There is no really any "plan", or "procedure", or "checklist", though it one can try to compile one. It is all in free from. The real cosmonauts had formal flight plans to keep them busy, but these plans are not published until today. Vostok flies quite well without any involvement from the human, so "pilots" in Orbiter are quite free to do whatever they want whenever they want - as long as know the systems and understand the consequences :)

Another thing: The lamp test button should have an option to hold it, I have not yet found out how to move the FOV and keep it pressed.

It is just a combination of FOV being wide enough and the line of sight direction to have the console and dashboard in the same frame. Toggle button would have been more convenient, but to my best knowledge, this is how this button really worked in the real spacecraft, so i implemented it the way it (most likely) was...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It is just a combination of FOV being wide enough and the line of sight direction to have the console and dashboard in the same frame. Toggle button would have been more convenient, but to my best knowledge, this is how this button really worked in the real spacecraft, so i implemented it the way it (most likely) was...

Well, could you maybe permit something like CTRL + left presses the button and keeps it pressed until you left click it again? Would only be a user interface thing then, since you just assume the astronaut is able to keep his finger on the button while turning his head.

larger FOV is also ok, but the button is so small then. :lol:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Maybe not :). I don't patch my addons unless there is a very compelling reason. Like a showstopper bug, or a lot of new info becomes available, or a significant amount of beneficial changes accumulates... Otherwise it will be taking away from the new developments. And this button is only a minor inconvenience, nothing mission critical.

...Plus, if I change its behaviour from the "realistic" one, I'll surely get some scolding from the "purists" :)