Project Voyager spacecraft photos, anyone??

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I am working on a new add-on for the Voyager missions. (That is to say, JPL's real-life twin probes to the outer plantes - not Capt. Janeway's fictional Star Trek command. Then again, V'ger... bu I digress.)

The on-line photos and technical info is remarkably sparse. NASA's and JPL's web pages have some general info on the science instruments and findings, but little on the spacecraft.

It occured to me that there may be a duplicate craft hanging in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, and that an intrepid Orbiternaut may have some high-res photos he/she would be willing to share.

Web links are also appreciated. I have Googled 'til I'm goggle-eyed, but it's always possible to miss something. I did find a really great copy of orginal JPL construction drawings at the Ninfinger model site! That's a first. Usually all I have are photos and a few known dimensions, then scale the picture and make some educated guesses about distortion due to perspective. This time, I have great drawings and only a few photos, and only a couple of those are at high-res and really useful in scoping out details.

As usual in Orbiter, there is BIG MONEY in it if you can help me out! ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The on-line photos and technical info is remarkably sparse. NASA's and JPL's web pages have some general info on the science instruments and findings, but little on the spacecraft.

Did you already search the NTRS? I remember that I just read two great documents about Voyager and it's early designs on it, about two weeks ago.

Disclaimer: I have never, under no circumstances, considered making a Voyager add-on.

Jupiter

Project Director
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Photos, Usonian!

Hello,
Good luck on your Voyager project. If you need any help, the Aerospace Payloads International Corporation is always there to give you the best of spaceflight.

I'm also replying to say that I've found a couple of diagrams of Voyager for you,
http://www.honeysucklecreek.net/images/voyager2_lg.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Voyager_spacecraft_structure.jpg
and that I can definitely help you by making 3D models, configuring Spacecraft/Multistage files, getting textures, etc. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Have fun!
Jupiter

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There is a model of Voyager at the Air and Space museum. It's hanging from the ceiling, but includes the long booms. There is also a nice model at JPL.

I have pictures of both, but can't find them at the moment. I'll let you know when I do.

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

As I was saying, lots of planets but few photos of the spacecraft. I complain only as a spoiled Orbiter add-on developer. Actully, it is refreshing to see a NASA mission in which science so completely overwhelms the engineering and the personalities.

Although I have seen these spacecraft photos on other sites, the photos on this site are HUGE, so I can really zoom in and see the details. I also now have a good, hi-res shot of the Voyager/Titan launch vehicle, so I can make a custom texture for use with my Voyager/Velcor launcher.

Thanks, Urwumpe. As always, you are Der Mann!

Kwan, I hope you can dig up your photos. Every angle I can get is helpful.

Jupiter, I appreciate your offer. For better or worse, I do my own meshes. I am looking for a good texture for the black thermal blankets that covered the main bus and most of the instruments. It's not really wrinkled, like foil, just sort of puckered at the sewn seams and lightly rippled. If I could find the right photograph I would like to create a texture from the actual vehicle. Still Googling.

Jupiter

Project Director
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Project Voyager spacecraft photos, anyone??

Hello, again!
I understand your thought, but remember, I am here to help you.
Now, about that texture; will this be the ticket? (see below)
Hope it is; definitely looking forward to your Voyager!
Jupiter

Attachments

• voyager_foil.bmp
    192.1 KB · Views: 20

NickD

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickd.freehostia.com
Hope, this will help:
voyager2.jpg