Question Was out for a "little Flight" and...

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
ok...with this software i have been able to live a bit of a dream being a space ship jockey...a sci fi nerds pride enjoy on the hard drive right now...anyways I figured it would be funny to land my ship (firefly as of now till my ship is built...fingers crossed it works out for this guy who is trying for me) anyways land it in the back yard of my mothers place for some dinner. I created the base in OBM used the right lat and long..and yes the flight went perfectly but upon arrival that HD texture i have on yes is great but it just wasn't the same...so...

my question is now that you have the background is...you look at Google maps or all these other things out on the web and yes the house or what ever is there..anyone do something that includes the proper cities and what have you?

i know if you land and fly to close it looks bad etc etc but i am just wondering cause i could alter the base i made to fit the map if it does exists

it would be cool to fly over Florida or North America or tour the east all that stuff.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
you look at Google maps or all these other things out on the web and yes the house or what ever is there..anyone do something that includes the proper cities and what have you?

There's a few large cities somewhere, I think I saw NewYork or somesuch?

But to model the entire infrastructure of the earth... well, let's just say it's a thing google earth might aspire to, but not Orbiter. Because you're supposed to spend most in of your time in space, where a few hundred gigabytes of housing market on earth just plays a rather insignificant role.

For what it's worth, the next Orbiter version is probably going to have terrain as it looks. Don't ask for a release date, though, it's still going to be a while.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
thats cool...thanks for the update for sure...if you do come across the cities or anything and you maybe hit up a post...would love to have something...what about that pic city i think do you know if that is able to move to simulate other cities or is it just a thing that is where it is near the cape.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But to model the entire infrastructure of the earth... well, let's just say it's a thing google earth might aspire to, but not Orbiter. Because you're supposed to spend most in of your time in space, where a few hundred gigabytes of housing market on earth just plays a rather insignificant role.
:hesaid:

thats cool...thanks for the update for sure...if you do come across the cities or anything and you maybe hit up a post...would love to have something...what about that pic city i think do you know if that is able to move to simulate other cities or is it just a thing that is where it is near the cape.

Pictown is available to download through here, it models a fairly detailed city, and you can move it around the Earth (possibly create several) by modifying its coordinates-that is described in the documentation here

However, duplicated Pictown's will always look the same, regardless of where they are.

Also, could you please use more capitalization, periods instead of ellipses, and multiple sentences? It just makes it easier to read. :tiphat:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
ive alway been one to blurt out my thoughts.....sorry