Question What are you reading?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope the next generation of spacecraft will be able to extricate themselves from such a situation without actually seeing the silver light at the end of a tunnel and seeing the :probe: ...

Nazban

Reaction score
ahh just finished Lord of the rings, for the second time
my biggest achievment so far!!:lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I still read Starship Troopers, in the English language, not in German...

One question that pops up every few chapters... would Heinlein today be called a liberal in the USA?

Dambuster

Reaction score
Recently read Red Mars, Prelude to Foundation and Ringworld. I liked the first two, not Ringworld so much though. One question about the Foundation series: should I read the next in the Foundation series next, or would it be better if I went through the Robot and/or Empire series first? I don't really want to finish the Foundation series, and then read the books that precede it.

Currently I'm reading The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda's road to 9/11. It's a very interesting book.

Nazban

Reaction score
Odd, just yesterday I started reading LotR for the second time.

in my head there are 2 ways of reading LOTR, with the songs or without the songs :rofl:
which one?

Nazban

Reaction score
I'm skipping over the longer ones; I suffered enough Tra-la-la-la-li the first time around. >.>
it can get messed up sometimes, when sam and frodo are in mordor, sam starts singing a song!?!?!?!?!?:lol:

Tycho

Reaction score
Just finished Jules Verne's Around the Moon not too long ago. It's an absolutely fantastic work of science-fiction (in fact, I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of my favorites.) I highly recommend this one to anyone who's interested the early dreams of spaceflight. Verne's scientific accuracy in this particular work is pretty phenomenal considering the time period (mid 1800's).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
it can get messed up sometimes, when sam and frodo are in mordor, sam starts singing a song!?!?!?!?!?:lol:

The songs are only bearable, if you translate them into Sindarin. Which I can't. :lol:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Yeap, just recently caught up with that one...
Absolutely entertaining... to say the least!

Ark

Reaction score
Leviathans of Jupiter by Ben Bova. It's pretty cool.

ZombiezuRFER

Zaktan Zanamu, margum Zavralto
Reaction score
Reading the great big ol book o scifi, when not writing my book or working at school. Filled cover to cover with the classic Golden Age writes, Asimov, Lester del Ray, Ross Rocklynne, etc. Its real title is SCIENCE FICTION Classic stories from the golden age of science fiction.

jimblah

Reaction score
For anyone suffering from the effects of naivety or gross idealism:

The 48 Laws of Power and The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Just finished The Gulag Archepelago by Aleksander Solzhenitsyn for the second time. Now reading Titanicus by Dan Abnett. Solzhenitsyn is an excelent but anyone who has read his work will understand that I need I something fun and fluffy to it wash down.

As always my Trig and Calculas textbooks remain on standby.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Currently I'm reading "The short victorious war" by David Weber

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I'll let myself being counter current again, but some of you might be interested in: Rich Dad's Advisors: Guide to Investing In Gold and Silver: Protect Your Financial Future by Michael Maloney.

It starts with references to historical economic upheavals, which in their basics, don't differ much from our current situation other than by the scale of problems (this time it's global). By highlighting these events, tied strongly to monetary history omitted by schooling systems, the author argues that what comes next is too predictable to be ignored. Then he comes to present, showing indicators supporting his hypothesis, and to the future for making predictions, plus he gives some differently toned practical advices about gold & silver investing.
In one of the last, uplifting parts of the book, the whole thing is described from an even broader context, stating that for a sophisticated investor, it's crucial to comprehend that every asset is subject to cycles of undervaluation and overvaluation. The key is to use take advantage of these cycles.
The book is (C) 2008, and the predictions that had been made have been quite accurate ...

In all the seriousness of the topic, the book is many times simply funny because the pragmatic nature of the author, who realizes other problems of humanity, doesn't take away his humor :)

If you can't save the world, make sure that at least you will profit a bit on it :cool:

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
The Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. It's pretty hard sci-fi as far as space travel goes, although somewhat far-fetched in other areas.