Question What are you reading?

MikeB

Reaction score
Digital Apollo

I recently finished "Digital Apollo: Human and Machine in Spaceflight" by David Mindell. I highly recommend it, especially for descriptions of interactions between astronauts and computers during the Apollo landings, and how each was unique.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Finally, finally got my hands on a copy of the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! :)
A lovely presentation of these amazing writings, pleatherbound with silver lined-pages, and, of course, has the words DON'T PANIC! inscribed in large friendly letters on the cover. :lol:

XSSA

Reaction score
RED MARS! Also I making an addon, search ARES.

jthill

Reaction score
Titan by the same author is my personal favorite book by him. Flood and Ark were really good as well. There aren't too many authors out there that do hard sci-fi with relatively current tech.

Footfall by Larry Niven was kickass, too.

Or Titan[/I} by John Varley. That whole trilogy, repeatedly seeming to stretch your credulity too far and then completely blowing your mind.

Anything by Greg Bear, The Forge of God/Anvil of Stars or the little novella Hardfought are my favorites of his. Hardfought in particular, that one has taken up permanent residence.

chobolatom

XR2 ESA Virtual Pilot
Reaction score
I already have a long original story by Tolkien book The Hobbit - can not find time to read. But otherwise I very much like detective like Sherlock Holmes. :)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Getting ready to start reading 'Failure Is Not An Option' by Gene Kranz.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy:

page6_blog_entry15-the-hunt-for-red-october.jpg

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Just finished the last Alex Rider book, Scorpia Rising. It was pretty good. I've read all of those books, all of them were great.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Voyage by Stephen Baxter.

A "what if" story on if JFK was only seriously hurt in 1963 and not killed, and his presence forcing NASA to abandon the re-usable Space Shuttle in lieu of a manned Mars mission based on Saturn V technology. Interesting stuff.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I've just finished The Great Gatsby for school, and I've been reading Manifold: Time by Stephen Baxter.

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've just finished Rocketman : Astronaut Pete Conrad's incredible ride to the Moon and beyong by Nancy Conrad and Howard A. Klausner. Great reading, but a bit short.

I'm now re-reading Shake hands with the Devil by LGen Roméo Dallaire (but in French, so it's actually J'ai serré la main du diable). A memorable book about his UN mission in Rwanda during the genocide of 1993. It makes you think differently.

http://www.romeodallaire.com/index.html

Edit:

Yeah Star Voyager, I read so much books from Tom Clancy. He's a very good author. I like his writing style.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Just Finished Out of Mao's Shadow by Philip P Pan, and now will move on to Chidlhood and Society By Erik H Erikson

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
We Seven several different stories written by the original 7 astronauts detailing their entry into the program, failures and sucesses, and my favorite 'The Trouble With Liberty Bell' by Gus Grissom(book was published before apollo 1).

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
First part of summer I'll be reading the "Game of Thrones" series. I would say that it's kind of like Tolkien, but darker and grittier. No dwarves, elves or other such the like (except for the 'others').
Once Dance of Dragons is released, and I'm finished with it, I'll return to Patrick O'Brien's world of Jack Aubry and Steven Maturin.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
@PhantomCruiser

Hope you don't end up "taking the black", we need you here in Orbiter!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
:rofl:
Oh no... The Night's Watch can't father any children, and I'm not sure that I'm 'done' yet...