Question What are you reading?

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Well, I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy, which I really enjoyed, and I'm about to start the book called Rocket Men by Craig Nelson about the the events leading up to Apollo 11 and about the mission itself. Then I have two Tom Clancy books laid out.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've got nothing to read right now. I kinda need suggestions. My favorite book that I read recently was probably Voyage by Stephen Baxter, so I'm a fan of hard-scifi/alternate history. I also like books that use a lot of real world technology.

That book was awesome. I just read Titan, and that one was not so much. A bit too depressing in my opinion. But Voyage is for any NASA nut.

Now reading Back to the Moon by Homer H Hickham. Space Shuttle to the moon!

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I think I will start Voyage by Stephen Baxter.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Currently reading through a collection of Roald Dahl's books with the children. It's very entertaining, and the bit with Mr. Wonka and his elevator docking with a space hotel was actually more accurate than the average 'mature' sci-fi. :lol:

With a computer in the shop for hard disk replacement (RIP all my Orbiter/Utsuhoid code :() and my job in limbo I've tonnes of time for reading. If I can find any store that sells Alastair Reynolds' series I'll be happy.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
That book was awesome. I just read Titan, and that one was not so much. A bit too depressing in my opinion. But Voyage is for any NASA nut.
I haven't read Titan, but I read the description and it looked pretty much like how you put it. Moonseed is also very depressing.

Voyage is kind of sad in it's own way, though, because it makes you think of what could have been. Of course, it seemed light-hearted to me because I didn't exactly look that way.

I've been reading Stephen Baxter's Manifold series, I finished Time not long ago and now I'm on Space. He's pretty much my favorite author right now. Speaking of him, I started a group here for fans of his books.

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
I just read Titan, and that one was not so much. A bit too depressing in my opinion.

I don't know, I really enjoyed that one. Then again, read it a couple years back, and may be selectively remembering only the parts I liked best. ;)

If I can find any store that sells Alastair Reynolds' series I'll be happy.

Reynolds is fantastic. The depth to his universe and story plots is almost unbelievable. Masterpieces all.

Just picked up a first edition of Buzz Aldrin's "Return to Earth" at this sweet little used book store in Moab, Utah. Awesome, awesome book! Takes a very candid, insider's look at NASA during the latter stages of Gemini and (of course) Apollo programs. I'd recommend it to anyone with any interest in the history of manned space flight.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I just finished Rendezvous With Rama. Now i'm reading Dune.

Mantis

Reaction score
Just started reading "Contact Charlie: The Canadian Army, the Taliban and the Battle that Saved Afghanistan" by Chris Wattie (a journalist embedded with Canadian troops during the largest and most signifcant battle in Panjwei/Kandahar). Basically the Taliban massed a huge force to re-take Kandahar - their spiritual homeland - but they were stopped dead by the Canadian Army battle group (the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infanry) and dealt a crushing blow from which they never recovered. It was the last time that the Taliban was able to carry out an actual military style operation in the region and they Canadians completely crushed them.

Columbia42

Reaction score
I just finished Selling Peace by Jeffery Manber. It was absolutely eye-opening. It tells the story of how the commercialization of space began and why commercial space programs are the way of the future. Now I'm reading Too Far From Home by Chris Jones which is about the Columbia disaster and how it affected the astronauts of Expedition Six who were on the ISS at the time.

Keatah

Reaction score
I just finished reading the technical and programming manuals for the instrument unit on the Saturn V rocket. Fascinating stuff they did with analog circuitry.

Now onto Sex on the Moon. This is a book about some kid that stole all the lunar samples, spread them out on a bed, and had sex with his girlfriend on top of them.

This is a true story, and the guy spent 8 years in prison for it. Nasa kept it pretty quiet.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now onto Sex on the Moon. This is a book about some kid that stole all the lunar samples, spread them out on a bed, and had sex with his girlfriend on top of them.

:facepalm:

Who... why... what has become of our world... :uhh:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Tried that, its a gas.

N.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Finishing this book up and would easily recommend it for anyone interested in eating healthy, especially if you're a runner or just starting to run. He does a good job of explaining the science behind the nutrition which I found most helpful as I increase my running regime.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I have been reading Hidden Harmonies: The Lives and Times of the Pythagorean Theorem

8bd2fbbd.jpg

While I'm not done with it yet, I would still recommend it. The authors get a little too philosophical at some parts and stray away from the good geometry, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Screamer

Reaction score
I read it too! :lol:

I read the it too. Rendezvous with Rama and the series. Now if some talented add-on developer can recreate that in Orbiter.......

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

I am a eager fan of Dale Brown's books. Not to be confused with [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Brown"]Dan Brown[/ame]. Some are good.Others not so good. My favorites is Skymasters, Day of the Cheetah and Storming Heaven.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury (for the 4th or 5th time, don't remember :p)

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I just finished The Kid Who Climbed Everest by Bear Grylls (yes, the guy from Man vs. Wild).

1592284930.jpg

It was a very interesting read. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes camping, hiking, climbing, or really any other outdoor activity.