Question What are you reading?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Lucifer's Hammer now, just started, but it has a very fitting dedication to Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins, and all of the astronauts and cosmonauts that have died for the cause of humanity establishing itself in space.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I thought "Titan" was kind of depressing (the way and manner in which the politicos dismantle NASA).

Same here. Titan was just so depressing to me. A great read, but still....

Voyage is a much more uplifting book.

And yeah, the whole Columbia incident in the book....pretty eerie how close it was to reality.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Forever Young: A Life of Adventure in Air and Space by John W. Young and James R. Hansen

How did I not know about that book? Well, I guess I know what's next on my reading list.:)

Allan

Reaction score
Just started Galactic Exploration by Peter Cawdron. Very interesting. A bit heavy in the science (you guys may enjoy it).

Galactic Exploration is a compilation of four closely related stories following the exploration of the Milky Way by the star ships Serengeti, Savannah and the Rift Valley. These three generational space ships are manned by clones and form part of the ongoing search for intelligent extra-terrestrial life. With the Serengeti heading out above the plane of the Milky Way, the Savannah exploring the outer reaches of the galaxy, and the Rift Valley investigating possible alien signals within the galactic core, this story examines the Rare Earth Hypothesis from a number of different angles.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I am reading "Halo: Glasslands" by Karen Traviss, in preperation for Halo 4.
I am also reading "The Case for Mars" by Robert Zubrin.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Now I'm on Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs. Fascinating.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just reserved the first Wheel of Time novel at my library. :)

ProAuroraX

Resident Insane Person
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, since Im stuck at home, and cant go to work, because the people there are afraid I'll injure myself further, I'm reading my Clive Cussler collection. Currently reading "The Tombs".

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
This afternoon, I had to clear some boxes from a small storage room I have in my backyard, to make room for a used fridge, when I found these two beauties:

Mechanismo.jpg
Young-death1.jpg

I clearly remember buying "Young Death" when I was on my second year of Lykeion (age 16), but for the life of me, I cannot remember when and where I got the "Mechanismo".

I'll be diving into these again, sometime tomorrow afternoon, with a glass of a nicely aged single malt. (When I first read them, I didn't even like beer).

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Let me know how the accuracy of that book is.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Odyssey, for my mythology class. It makes much more sense now than it did 30 years ago. It's a better translation too, of course I could learn to read Greek or something and try for an older copy...

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Odyssey, for my mythology class. It makes much more sense now than it did 30 years ago. It's a better translation too, of course I could learn to read Greek or something and try for an older copy...
Oh, that's a story i grew up...I totally recommend learning some kind of Greek. Another option, the one I'm using, is to read a translation from an Italian version which have very good Greek translations. Anyway, a good free version is here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1728
But the one you need is Rodney Merrill, 2002, unrhymed dactylic hexameter, accurate line by line version, University of Michigan Press;

FADEC

Reaction score
With my broken collar bone I won't be able to go to work for the rest of this year (I need full power of my right arm). So, beside sitting in front of my PC, I have plenty of time for reading stuff. Some time ago I've got the complete volume which is used for ATPL training. And now I've got enough time to finally study the entire content (and not just fragments). It's about 6,000 pages altogether; ranging from air law, airframes and systems, meteorology, radio navigation, to flight planning & monitoring, and much more...

flyer

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I finished reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir.

http://www.galactanet.com/writing.html

I couldn't find a mention here on the forum surprisingly, but it is a great read.

Lots of maths and a great ending with plenty of well researched science (at least I think it is!) to keep you going.

I paid £0.77 on Amazon for it and for a split second was annoyed to find out it is actually available for free (Andy says Amazon does not allow him to post books for free), but then I realised that I had enjoyed it so much that Mr Weir deserves every one of my 77 pence (and more).

I think I got a total bargain!

Happy reading!

Graham2001

Reaction score
Echo & Firebird, the most recent of the Benedict & Kolpath Sci-Fi mysteries by Jack McDevitt. Set in a future so far away that:

"So what did happen Sherlock".

He grinned. I've often wondered where that term came from. But I've never been able to find an origin