Question What are you reading?

Hmuda

Reaction score
Stanislav Lem: His Master's Voice

I got a huge, three book collection of his works. So far I've read Eden, Solaris, Return From the Stars, and The Invincible.

Every one of them were captivating and thrilling without being action packed. Most of them dealt with extra terrestrial life the way they should be: being as different from us as naturally possible, not some mirror image of us with a few traits exaggerated. It really puts my Asimov fandom into perspetive.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score

I can quite honestly say that Mullane’s book is the BEST book I have ever read.

I have read Tom Jones's book as well, and while the descriptions of things like EVA's are very nice to read, what you don't get is any description of emotion.
In Mullane's book you do - both good and bad emotions.

Unlike Jones, Mullane doesn’t gloss over any issues – he just tells it exactly as it was – even if that means criticising himself (something he does often in the book).

Mullane's book is informative, realistic, and can be sad & harrowing in some places, while being hilariously funny in others.

I 110% recommend it!

----------
Here is a link to Mullane's book on Amazon:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Riding-Rockets-Outrageous-Shuttle-Astronaut/dp/0743276825"]Amazon.com: Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut (9780743276825): Mike Mullane: Books[/ame]

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
I'm about a hundred pages into Steven Baxters' novel "Evolution". Wonderfully speculative stuff. :speakcool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Lately: Walter Moers - "Der Schrecksenmeister"

A german fantasy novel, playing in Moers Zamonia world, a faustian story about a kind of a speaking cat, which signs a contract about it's death with an evil alchemist. With many twists and turns in the story, in the moment you think, you know how the story will turn out, things turn out to be completely different.

Of course, the main storyline is summarized simple in a single sentence: Speaking cat attempts to find a way out of a unbreakable contract. But that is not the whole story.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Currently I read Stanislaw Lem: Solaris

Good sci fi book.

Hmuda

Reaction score
Currently I read Stanislaw Lem: Solaris

Good sci fi book.
When I first heard about the man I though his works will be hard to understand and follow, but as it turns out, they are easy to read, understandable and leave and awful lot of room for speculations.

Not to mention the constant reminder how pathetic most sci-fi writers are for enforcing human ideas on alien races in their works.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
When I first heard about the man I though his works will be hard to understand and follow, but as it turns out, they are easy to read, understandable and leave and awful lot of room for speculations.

Not to mention the constant reminder how pathetic most sci-fi writers are for enforcing human ideas on alien races in their works.

No surprise, especially the Ijon Tichy stories are very accessible. I loved the German TV adaption of the stories.

Ark

Reaction score
I'm on probably my fourth or fifth pass through Starship Troopers. Good stuff.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ark, you've just inspired me to read Starship Troopers again myself. I've just finished The Forge Of Mars, by Bruce Balfour. It was OK.
I'm almost halfway through KSR's Blue Mars.

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers

Working towards CCVP Certification.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm on probably my fourth or fifth pass through Starship Troopers. Good stuff.

Outstanding book. I read this after the awful movie came out, unable to believe that the book could be as terrible, and I was right. Verhoven totally missed the point of the book, mocked it, even. ST is a book that makes you think, while the movie is purile nonsense.

I really hope someone does that movie right someday. Had I made that film, that initial combat drop on Klendathu would be the most epic sci fi ground combat scene in movie history.

Have you read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress yet? That's my favorite Heinlein book, and another that begs to made into a movie, and made right.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got him to sign my copy :speakcool:.

A friend of mine managed to contact Mullane and get a signed sticker along with the book, I think he has a website somewhere. Another friend of mine accidentally wound up going to a happy hour with the guy (friend of a friend). She said he was great fun to hang around.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
He sure is! But when I met him, he asked how old I was and I told him 13. He said it was R-rated, but I still loved the book. Some other books I read were "Marooned" (original) and "The Cape" by Martin Caidin. Both were exceptionally fantastic books!

natey787

Reaction score
I'm currently reading Red Mars. I love it! I kind of with there were Orbiter addons for the Ares and Underhill. Haha. I also like Steven Baxter's Nasa Trilogy.