Question What games are you playing?

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
After just writing the prologue (519 words) for a solo campaign to test it - you are perfectly right. There should be a warning.

After just writing the prologue (519 words) for a solo campaign to test it - you are perfectly right. There should be a warning.
I should have heeded these warnings...

aglaemxaa

Reaction score
I'm enjoying Battlegroup VR, being able to give voice commands to go full power on shields or engines while commanding a fantasy space cruiser in VR during skirmishes scratches a very specific itch for me.

steph

Reaction score
Well, tried Farming Simulator 19 on Xbox. At least for me, the vanilla version ain't cutting it. I mean, even if you delegate the tedious stuff to AI workers, it's almost a broken game. I found the in-menu encyclopedia way more useful than the tutorials. Some of the stuff may be just realism taken to the extreme, though.
The learning curve is steep, but it has mostly to do with what machinery works for each crop etc. Aand I had to reload saves simply because it doesn't have a respawn option. There doesn't seem to be a damage model, but the driving one isn't really that good, so if your vehicle gets stuck, it stays so, unless you can get it unstuck using a tractor etc.
Wood cutting seems to be a hell of its own, though. Some of the bushes in the forested areas seem to impart a springy reaction to the vehicle, so you can easily capsize. Loading the logs into a truck is nearly impossible manually. Also had an event where I was cutting the trees on a hill. Most of the logs slid down the slope until they ended up in my neighbour's field, where, surprise, it wouldn't let me recover them as it wasn't my land.

All in all, I guess it could be made to work and even be enjoyable, with loads of mods. But my plans of also getting fs22 for Christmas are definitely on hold

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A while ago I played 'Deliver us the Moon'. Putting some suspension of disbelief I found it to be a rather fun experience. It has a sequel now called 'Deliver us Mars' which I'm currently in the process of downloading while I replay the first one. From what I've seen of it so far Mars seems like it will also be enjoyable. Feels kind of like those old 'Point and click' adventure games. Again though, you might have to turn your brain off to certain things about space.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
Parkan II (2005) space simulator with the ability to land on planets

steph

Reaction score
Parkan II (2005) space simulator with the ability to land on planets
Looks quite nice. Never got to play it, though there was this space sim roughly similar to Eve Online, but without landing on planets. I think it was Freespace, but I can't be sure. Also, should check out X3, but that was more like strategy, IIRC

Currently playing the Witcher 3. Trying to clear the secondaries before going on to the Isle of Mists quest, and it kinda feels like a chore, mostly because they're low level and don't reward XP almost at all. The contracts are nice, tho, even if done at a higher level. The pay is good and some beasts can be quite the worthy opponent. Otherwise, RDR2, got tired of Farming Sim when I realised I could just 'hack' it indo producing huge revenue by simply putting renewables on the farm and waiting a few years. I guess it could be made mor fun with mods, but I haven't looked at them yet. Next games will be Dead Island2 , Elden Ring etc

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think it was Freespace
Freespace is definitely nothing like Eve Online. Freespace 2 is essentially the king of wing-commander style space shooters.
Also, there's X4 by now, and it isn't really strategy. Its gameplay core has always been economy. I never could get into the X-series, because it felt just too much like flying from shelf to shelf in space walmart. Tried with the first one, the second one, and the third one. I'm hearing X4 at least has an inertial flightmodel, but I simply don't have the time to get anywhere in a game like that anymore. In fact, as far as I remember, getting bored of flying from door to door in X2 was what made me google for realistic space sims and find orbiter...

When it comes to my game of 2022, I'm surprised to say that the winner is, without even hesitating for a moment... Citizen Sleeper.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
When it comes to my game of 2022, I'm surprised to say that the winner is, without even hesitating for a moment... Citizen Sleeper.

Never heard of it. :D

My favorite release of 2022 is likely the steam edition of Dwarf Fortress, but that is likely simply because many other games I discovered 2022 had been released in 2021 or earlier.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Never heard of it.
It's essentially an interactive visual novel with lightweight RPG mechanics quite a bit more involved than is common for interactive novels, and allows a lot of exploration and decisions along the way, putting it more in the vicinity of an actual RPG with very simple (but very aesthetic) presentation. The scifi setting is great, the stories draw you in, and the writing is top-notch (it's been repeatedly compared to Disco Elysium in that regard, only a bit more hopeful and a bit less gritty. It still carries some gut-punches, but it doesn't share Disco's pervasive theme of self-destruction). There's a small boatload of endings, depending on how you play it you can be done in 6 hours, and that length is actually a great motivator to play it in different ways.

Dwarf fortress came out a bit too late in the year, with too little time for me to play it, to make the cut. It might get there once they implement adventure mode (not that I'm complaining, it was clearly announced it wouldn't be there yet. But I mostly bought it on day one to give the Adamses their well-deserved due, not to play it a lot right out of the gate...)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Have been playing the latest Gran Turismo on PS5 since it came out. Also occasionally play theHunter: Call of the Wild and Warzone 2 with a couple friends (only because it's free; I'll never pay for another CoD game). Picked up an XBox One for a steal 4 years ago, I take that with me to my daughter's on the weekends. On that I also play CotW, Warzone 2, and am playing through the Halo Master Chief Collection. And some Minecraft now and then.

I was playing Elite on the XB also, until they dropped console support. I don't have time for PC gaming at home anymore, so all my sim hardware is gathering dust.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
getting bored of flying from door to door in X2 was what made me google for realistic space sims and find orbiter...
i was looking for a free game to play at work (no steam, ubisoft, origin...) the choice was TrackMania or Orbiter

gamer19

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine playing Orbiter at work, not because I don't have free time to do it
but because I can't exactly bring my joystick at work place :LOL:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I couldn't imagine playing Orbiter at work, not because I don't have free time to do it
but because I can't exactly bring my joystick at work place :LOL:

compiling.png

Innocent whistling....

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nowadays, though, that would prompt an emergency meeting of the DevProd Engineering team... 😫

TBH, today I use "Waiting for the acceptance tests to finish" for getting some quality time for my brain....

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Cortez was mostly developed on my work laptop, back when I was a desktop technician. Ironic. I had more time to code personal things when I was a hardware tech. Now that I'm a developer, I have no time to code personal things. Heck, for that matter I can't remember the last time I wrote actual code for work...ridiculous how our company divides up certain responsibilities to application developers.

diogom

Reaction score
Don't know what the mood is on Epic Store around here, but anyway, because space: Breathedge is free to keep on Epic for the next week.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not exactly a game, but still very relevant about the evolution of gaming those last years :

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just discovered the racing simulator "Live for Speed". I think it reminds Orbiter very much: physics, graphics, modifications, small size, good performance. Soft car physics is very pleasant, sadly I can't try it with a gaming wheel. If you like car racing I advice you to pay attention to this. There are few demo cars you can try.

gamer19

Reaction score
I played LFS for about a decade now :D
great small game
tho... not sure I have any mods for it. maybe some skins only