Poll What is the worst software bug ever?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My vote goes for (or against) the bug in Sayano-Shushenskaya hydropower plant software that ruined the plant and killed 80+ people.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When looking at spaceflight, I'd say [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_5_Flight_501"]Ariane 5 Flight 501 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Keatah

Reaction score
Probably the one little virus I wrote for an exercise.
It will randomly flip bits in user data files.
It tends to work toward the center & end of the files.
Only does a bit every now and then.

Ohh and about Ariane software issue.. Well, they used the software specifications from another rocket. And to top it off, they didn't even test anything! So sure, an error could easily happen. It really wasn't a bug.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Probably the one little virus I wrote for an exercise.
It will randomly flip bits in user data files.
It tends to work toward the center & end of the files.
Only does a bit every now and then.
How is that a bug? That's a virus, not a bug...

Ohh and about Ariane software issue.. Well, they used the software specifications from another rocket. And to top it off, they didn't even test anything! So sure, an error could easily happen. It really wasn't a bug.
How is that not a bug?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
This could be an interesting thread so please concentrate on specific bugs and not on Operating systems as a whole. If this starts to degenerate into a "My OS is better than your OS" it'll be closed.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The overrated Y2K problem. Now I'm waiting for Y2K38.

This could be an interesting thread so please concentrate on specific bugs and not on Operating systems as a whole. If this starts to degenerate into a "My OS is better than your OS" it'll be closed.
I though we'd see that on the first post, not on the third.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I though we'd see that on the first post, not on the third.

I didn't see the thread until this morning and there is always the hope that a thread will stay on topic.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aarghh... back on track: the first "digital Soyuz" has reportedly experienced a reboot during final approach (it reminds one of the radar bug in the LM of Apollo 11).

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

OrbiterSpore

Clean Furry, of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
BUGBUGBUGGED

Steam: Several games don't run (Eg.:Moon Base Alpha)
Spore(EA): Multiple random CTD's, patch bug, at least twenty five hundred bugs associated to core game errors.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
EA is known to release games months before their bugs are all ironed out... they are evil, greedy marketing-oriented goons with little to no respect whatsoever for their customers and their opinions...

living proof is the consistently-ignored "campaign to make spore better" which i started a few months after the great spore debacle began, and remain unattended to this day.... last time i checks, people still had it kept live atop the feedback boards...

well, while i'll probably only buy another game from them when hell freezes over, this thread is veering over the off-topic border again... so back to it...

i'm surprised no-one brought up the imperial-vs-metric system mars rover fiasco... it was mostly human error, but still, could be considered a rather epic bug :lol:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
O-F Staff Note: Four off-topic OS-wars posts moved to the OS WARS MEGA THREAD here. To reiterate Gary's request from yesterday yet again, please stay on-topic in this thread and keep the ZOMG UR OS IZ TEH SUX0RS!!!111one posts over in the OS Wars thread.

Tommy

Reaction score
Quote:
How is that not a bug?

I'd say it's not a bug as the software performed as it was designed to do. It's a PEBKAC error - the software was misused - which is a user fail, not a software fail.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd say it's not a bug as the software performed as it was designed to do. It's a PEBKAC error - the software was misused - which is a user fail, not a software fail.
If they used the software specification from something else, then it was a bug, because they didn't implement it correctly for the new platform.

If they used the software from something else, then yes I'd agree with you--but the post I was asking about explicitly said specification.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
O-F Staff Note: Four off-topic OS-wars posts moved to the OS WARS MEGA THREAD here. To reiterate Gary's request from yesterday yet again, please stay on-topic in this thread and keep the ZOMG UR OS IZ TEH SUX0RS!!!111one posts over in the OS Wars thread.

And in any case, the bugs with really spectacular results tend to be in embedded systems. (Though I have heard of some rather spectacular specific bugs in OS's and application programs, as opposed to the general "the whole OS is one giant bug" sentiment. I'm not sure any qualify for "worst ever" though).