What kind of add-on do you think would change Orbiter forever?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Re: magnetic fields: why would you need them? A few mag models are available, but what's the in-sim benefit of having a magnetometer. Unless you're planning to spot my sub that would fire RSM-54 at you in the next five minutes :) It's properly degaussed, though.

DagoO

Addon Developer
Reaction score
In my opinion there are only the terrain and the weather left. I would like to see Snow in winter and why not "3d" clouds (some textures that makes a 3d look) by a rainy day (By example the Google earth rain under a cloud) :love:

Oh and why not the sun flares and the realistics saturn's rings? Ok i'm dreaming...i think those thing would take a very long time.

Last edited:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
AI for uncontroled vessels, but you should be able to swich it on/off. And you should for example be able to makeother ummu's follow yours (if you want to bring a whole arrow crew to the mars-base...).

But if you can't swith it of you land your DGIV at moon, walk around with UMMU and the DGIV flys away... or that could happen on eva, if the AI only works in flight.

OrbiterSpore

Clean Furry, of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
So did you just know...

I want cities! bashing my dgiv against a nuke power plant will be cool.(Atlas ICBM have no nuke)
i want an RMS in DG-5.
i want atmosphere alterations. (rain)
random catastrophes! (meteors, solar wind, other random events,etc.)
an ummu that moves. (arms, legs, jumps and falls back)
nebulaes and black holes.(ok i gone far in thatone but is cool!)
time reversion. (if i bang my dgiv)
some thing that adds random missios/events. (go to iss to repair antenna, land in mars on the LZ,etc)
ai for ships. (ar01 etc)
compatibility mode for old-timer add-ons. (2010 no works Wk SpaceShipone, run 2006p1)
full ai(deorbit, earth to moon, etc)
Visible meteors of saturn's rings.
xr2 still operational wher crew suffers minor injuries.
collision detect for cargo. (you cant pass by an cargo)
simple auto-debugger(still far but not impossible!)

some ideas are far but some are possible! nothing is impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
AI for uncontroled vessels, but you should be able to swich it on/off. And you should for example be able to makeother ummu's follow yours (if you want to bring a whole arrow crew to the mars-base...).

But if you can't swith it of you land your DGIV at moon, walk around with UMMU and the DGIV flys away... or that could happen on eva, if the AI only works in flight.
Then you could make other ships copy your movements and do synchronised flying. :thumbup:

Darren

Edit: Until one of them crashes. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Then you could make other ships copy your movements and do synchronised flying. :thumbup:

You can already do that. Ctex wrote a plugin called (I believe) Simon.mfd where one ship had the lead and the others just followed.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ughh, sorry cannot find it at OHM, neither Ctex nor Simon ring a bell.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Strike that, the pack probably has it: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3508"]Computerex Add-on Pack[/ame]

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
What i would really like but this will never ever forever happen is this.
1. Buoyancy and sinking in the water so when my ARD has a splashdown it can sink.
2. Proper Collision Detection so instead of floating past the airlock you can actually go into it without floating off into oblivion.
3. The ability to not be able to land on gas giants like jupiter and stuff instead you float right through them if not die.
4. Boats so they can be on the buoyancy and maybe battle ships to sink other ships no?
5. A good multiplayers
6. The ability to land somewhere or crash and have the ummu hold a gun and have all kinds of animals in the wilderness to shoot at if they try to attack you.
7. Plants... Such as trees forests jungles and islands.
8. When you sink to the bottom on buoyancy you can see the bottom of the ocean.
9. Able to make floaties on your capsule or whatever to inflate when you start sinking
10. On the buoyancy make it to where if you float depends on weight.
11. If you land on the ground in a capsule and not in the water you leave a crater or something?
12. Make the ability to have small meteors hit earth or in space to make craters or to accidently hit and then has a failure
13. in buoyancy make ummus drown if they are under water too long then make em say dead.
14. the abilitys to walk around a ship with a full VC interior and walk inside of it with a ummu with collisions detection so you can walk all over the ship to cafeteria or sleeping place
15. the ability to enable disable modules.
16. the ability to stop making suggestions

I need a santa clause to make this happen lolz...

But yeah i wish orbiter could have those but it cant.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
1. Buoyancy and sinking in the water so when my ARD has a splashdown it can sink.
2. Proper Collision Detection so instead of floating past the airlock you can actually go into it without floating off into oblivion.
3. The ability to not be able to land on gas giants like jupiter and stuff instead you float right through them if not die.
4. Boats so they can be on the buoyancy and maybe battle ships to sink other ships no?
5. A good multiplayers
6. The ability to land somewhere or crash and have the ummu hold a gun and have all kinds of animals in the wilderness to shoot at if they try to attack you.
9. Able to make floaties on your capsule or whatever to inflate when you start sinking
11. If you land on the ground in a capsule and not in the water you leave a crater or something?
12. Make the ability to have small meteors hit earth or in space to make craters or to accidently hit and then has a failure
13. in buoyancy make ummus drown if they are under water too long then make em say dead.
14. the abilitys to walk around a ship with a full VC interior and walk inside of it with a ummu with collisions detection so you can walk all over the ship to cafeteria or sleeping place

6: ... o_O
15: If you mean what I think you mean, then that's already possible.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
This doesn't seem impossible, unless you mean proper water particle simulation. Even then it is possible, just not at Earth scale.
This seems to be one that I'm sure we all want, but now one AFAIK has spent the time to make a proper one.
Gas giants aren't made of nothing but gas. :facepalm:There is landmass to land on. :facepalm:
Sounds fun, but doesn't really have a place in a space flight simulator.
5. A good multiplayers
Being made, just not quite stable and a pain to set up.
(To copy above) 0.o
LLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGG
LLLLAAAAAAGGGG (Not as much as 7.)
:cheers:Sounds good for AMSO and other capsule add-ons.
Weight actually doesn't have a big part in anything floating, ships weigh tons but float because of the large amounts of air within.
Possible somebody could make an add-on that, when you hit the ground to fast creates a crater mesh where you crashed.
Realistic, but may be difficult to implement and could get annoying.
This would be something to add to UMMU not Orbiter itself.
There have been concepts of this made with stations.
What do you mean? If you mean add-ons I'd recommend Generic Mod Enabler.
Then I wouldn't be able to use red text to reply to your suggestions. :(

Darren

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This seems to be one that I'm sure we all want, but now one AFAIK has spent the time to make a proper one.

See Artlav's meshland. It was certainly not a half-done attempt on his part.

I think Artlav said once that the only way to get "proper" performance from Meshland would be to build it into the core, or something to that effect.

Gas giants aren't made of nothing but gas. There is landmass to land on.

Yes, but that landmass is very deep within the planet... beneath the mantle of very hot, very high pressure liquid metallic hydrogen and helium in the case of Jupiter and Saturn, and very hot and very high pressure water and ammonia combination in the case of Uranus and Neptune.

There is no way you are going to "float through" a gas giant. Space does not work that way, you(r remains) will slowly fall to the center!

Sounds fun, but doesn't really have a place in a space flight simulator.

Ships float on oceans, which are on planetary surfaces, which are parts of planets, that reside in space...

Seriously though, there are reasons to have ships in Orbiter. Recovery ships come to mind.

LLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Firstly I'd like to note that islands are not plants. :huh:

The amount of lag really depends on how high poly the plants or rocks or whatever are, and what specs you have. But it would not be kind to users in general.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Forests are possible...but why have them? This is a spaceflight simulator, you only get near forests if you are close to a base.

If you need forests, this can be done now, but the performance might be lower than what you would get by more optimized simulations - flight simulators don't need to deal with other planets, or very high altitudes.

I think it wouldn't add exactly much though. It is too specialized for Earth, and even then, it is useless for many other landscapes.

A way to define procedural detail patterns if you are flying at lower altitudes, like rocks on Moon or Mars, or clouds on gas planets would IMHO be way more useful and far less resource intensive.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A way to define procedural detail patterns if you are flying at lower altitudes, like rocks on Moon or Mars, or clouds on gas planets would IMHO be way more useful and far less resource intensive.

Artlav's got this on the scratchboard for Spaceway, maybe he'll put it into OGLA.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing it up again, tried Simon.mfd, and there are some problems with having the wingman follow the leader. There are so many things that can go wrong with formation flying one really needs closed-loop guidance (the mass of the craft may differ, and while in orbit anything other than flying on the V-bar pulls the "repeat what I'm doing" guided wingman too far away). Think I can cook up a formation flying challenge in Lua, just to demonstrate the need in better autopilots if one wants to revolutionize Orbiter.

Istochnikov

Costa Rica Space Systems' CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Modelling" trees with almost no polygons is possible... do something like this
arbol-navidad-papel.jpg
It takes only 4 polygons :p

Further explication: This image is a capture of Need for Speed: High Stakes: A game released when DirectX 7 was the latest technology on graphic engines.
nfshigh_screen003.jpg

Pay atention to the tree of the right: is designed on a similar fashion of the first image.

Last edited:

Mauler85

Traveler out of time
Reaction score
Spacial Anomalies such as Wormholes (Farscape Style), Black holes and such.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"Modelling" trees with almost no polygons is possible... do something like this
arbol-navidad-papel.jpg
It takes only 4 polygons :p

Further explication: This image is a capture of Need for Speed: High Stakes: A game released when DirectX 7 was the latest technology on graphic engines.
nfshigh_screen003.jpg

Pay atention to the tree of the right: is designed on a similar fashion of the first image.
8 polygons, actually--you need one for each side, and you can't have polygons crossing each other.

This is all fine and dandy when you're in a car and only need to see a few trees at a time, but when you're in the air and seeing whole forests at once, those 8-polygon trees start to add up.