Meshing Question What meshing program should I use?

Chub777

Reaction score
What meshing program should I use? Should I use Wings3D, Anim8or or something else? I'm new at meshing so I need an easy to use one. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

icedown

Reaction score
Wings3d is pretty good to. Blender is pretty good but I've had some issues with materials and normals.

icedown

Reaction score
With blender the materials always have an opacity of 0 and the normals on some objects sometimes get flipped and I can't seem to get them pointed out. To solve the normal problem, I open the 3ds in Wings3d, flip them, then import it back into blender.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I say Anim8or but as you read it's different for every user. Just try some meshing programs and use the one you're comfortable with ;)

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
SketchUp. It's the easiest one to use, but it has a pretty bad UV mapper so texture in another program.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
As goes with Orbiter meshes, you can also try notepad with calculator for simple ones, no mesh converter or export filter needed. :p

But that approach is extreme and you usually make a mesh much slower than with earlier mentioned programs, so better :theysaid:.

However, this has potential of making very precise meshes, with very precise UV-maps, and very precisely defined materials. The downside is that you write the definition of all vertices, faces and their texture coordinates, as also material definitions by hand, and you need to imagine how the mesh looks like while you're doing it. To start with that you just need to read about mesh format in "Doc/OrbiterConfig.pdf".

Chub777

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :) Still not sure which one to use, though.

SketchUp. It's the easiest one to use, but it has a pretty bad UV mapper so texture in another program.

I don't think you can convert SketchUp files to .3ds, though.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
AC3D is the easiest to learn, but it costs $80 USD.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I dont think you can convert SketchUp files to .3ds, though.

Yes you can, the satellite (DS-2) in my avatar was created in SketchUp. ;)

My line is SketchUp -> Export as .3ds using Babel3D -> Texture in Wings3D -> Export as .msh using Hielors .msh plugin.

Two solutions for .3ds:

1) Use SketchUp pro.
2) Use Babel3D mesh converter.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
However, this has potential of making very precise meshes, with very precise UV-maps, and very precisely defined materials. The downside is that you write the definition of all vertices, faces and their texture coordinates, as also material definitions by hand, and you need to imagine how the mesh looks like while you're doing it. To start with that you just need to read about mesh format in "Doc/OrbiterConfig.pdf".

Theorically, this is possible, but practically ? I mean, you have to do all the 3D rendering work that does the meshing software in your brain, and at the same time, write down the various mathematical operations to determine relative vertices positions :blink:

It seems a little like Neo seeing the virtual world through raw code scrolling on the screens in Matrix. :p

I've been using Anim8tor. Some limitations, but not too much. Urumpwe's an82msh converter is pretty good, too (the only bad thing is that you can't export Anim8tor "bending" scripts, one of the most powerful feature of the software).

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I use anim8or, but eventually want to learn Blender.

anim8or was fairly easy to start using in my opinion. Just follow a couple of the tutorials on the website and you'll get the general idea down in no time.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I use blender, the learning curve is steep but it's open source (free!) and it's nice to be able to do everything (Mesh, Materials, Textures/UV, and exporting) all with one program.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18661

If you take the time to learn it you can also do some really amazing 3d renders.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What meshing program should I use? Should I use Wings3D, Anim8or or something else? I'm new at meshing so I need an easy to use one. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:
If you don't have any experience with 3D modeling programs then I guess the best option would be to try them all and see which suits you best. For making Orbiter add-ons any of them will be sufficient, the differences will be in theirs interfaces and workflow plus you should check for easy .whateverfileformat ->.mesh format conversion abilities.

... the normals on some objects sometimes get flipped and I can't seem to get them pointed out. To solve the normal problem, I open the 3ds in Wings3d, flip them, then import it back into blender.
You can easily fix your normals in Blender just tab to edit mode and in the mesh tool window(the one on the left side of the main window in Blender's defoult screen) scroll down to normals. There will be two buttons there, one called "recalculate"(the one wich will fix screwed normals) and the other one called "flip normals"(this one as it's name suggest will flip normals).
It also can be done only with keybord. In edit mode with selected mesh hit "ctrl+n" to recalculate(fix) normals and for flipping them hit "space" to enter search tool and serch for "flip".

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I use 3DS Max 5.1, did cost a lot awhile ago, but thats worn off!

There is a free version, though you have to register for a code.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

If you go for it, download the help, library and tutorial zips as well. The tutorial is very good if you are new to 3d modellers.

gmax dosent export to .msh files directly, but there is a conversion program called "gmaxMshGrabber" on orbithangar, I'l see if I can find it.

This helps...
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=7933

Memory is going.

N.

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i'm using 3DSMax 2012 - and it's pretty sweet, a little clunky to start, but once you learn it (and set the UI to your liking) it becomes a formidable tool

it does cost a little over a (very) used car.... but i got mine for free with an educational license -- all you gotta do is fill out the forms saying where you go to college and stuff....

it's a good thing they offer this... for us, we get to use the program at home for free - for them, they get a larger user base to vouch for it, and a broader qualified workforce that appeals to companies that will pay for it later on

you have to register and all, but it's most certainly worth it :thumbup:

- of course... if you're not a graduate student, it might make things a little more expensive :shifty:

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wings3D is in my experience the best combination of powerful and easy to use. If you can right-click, left-click, and middle-click (hint: scroll wheel), you can do everything in Wings3D. Features are very discoverable and yet once you've figured it out you can make pretty sweet meshes.