What music are you listening to?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
E

ex-orbinaut

Robert Calvert! Are you a Hawkwind fan? I actually have this on vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A99nU5UkhFI

Indeed I am. A particular little group of five motorcyclists, that included yours truly, and who used to ride around Norfolk and Suffolk, England, between 1989 to 1995 on a British single cylinder classics, sunshine, hail or snow, had an exclusive ear for Hawkwind. Between us we had the whole discography, on vinyl.

Golden Void, on your record, is still one of my all time favorite songs, though I had it on Road Hawks. Still have a couple vinyls of theirs (Chronicles of The Black Sword and In Search of Space), which I kept, plus Lucky Leif and the Longships. And some more that I preserved on cassette.

Great band, not too widely known, I find.

:cheers:

EDIT:

With the mention of Hawkwind I had a browse around to listen to some of the songs off albums I did not manage to keep in any form, only to find out this news. Damn...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huw_Lloyd-Langton

RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is what I am listening (watching). I shouldn't have to explain why.

Wait a minute...Perfume?! Wasn't expecting that. My girlfriend loves them, though Chocolate Disco terrifies me. Would I be right in guessing the 'Gee gee gee gee' in your user text a while back was somewhat related? :)

Pablo49

Reaction score
Been letting my library shuffle tonight while playing SimCity. This played last.

FADEC

Reaction score
Jamiroquai - most awesome Acid Jazz band!

Funny how Derrick McKenzie (drum) screwed up the beginning of the first one... :lol:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Indeed I am. A particular little group of five motorcyclists, that included yours truly, and who used to ride around Norfolk and Suffolk, England, between 1989 to 1995 on a British single cylinder classics, sunshine, hail or snow, had an exclusive ear for Hawkwind. Between us we had the whole discography, on vinyl.

Golden Void, on your record, is still one of my all time favorite songs, though I had it on Road Hawks. Still have a couple vinyls of theirs (Chronicles of The Black Sword and In Search of Space), which I kept, plus Lucky Leif and the Longships. And some more that I preserved on cassette.

Great band, not too widely known, I find.

I confess to being a Hawkwind n00b. I have always been into prog and space rock, such as Rush, Yes, and Pink Floyd, but a psuedo-hippie buddy of mine who is also a massive Rush fan from back in the day, was playing Hawkwind on his mp3 player one day when I was visiting, and I asked him to recommend some for me. He pointed me to Silver Machine, which I didn't care for much, and Warrior at the Edge of Time, which I immediately fell in love with. I have a decent vinyl collection that can always use more so I did a little searching and found a like-new copy on blue translucent for a good price.

I can listen to this stuff all day.

E

ex-orbinaut

I confess to being a Hawkwind n00b. I have always been into prog and space rock, such as Rush, Yes, and Pink Floyd, but a psuedo-hippie buddy of mine who is also a massive Rush fan from back in the day, was playing Hawkwind on his mp3 player one day when I was visiting, and I asked him to recommend some for me. He pointed me to Silver Machine, which I didn't care for much, and Warrior at the Edge of Time, which I immediately fell in love with. I have a decent vinyl collection that can always use more so I did a little searching and found a like-new copy on blue translucent for a good price.

I can listen to this stuff all day.

Yeah, it is somewhat unfortunate that Silver Machine always gets to be the the introductory track. It was the same with me. It gets served up on too many albums in different versions. I suspect it might even be a bit of focus group marketing to target bikers, and it seems even Hawkwind themselves were beginning to ridicule it at one stage; one of the "good old boys" (mentioned in a previous post) who went to a Hawkwind concert reported that they did a version of it called "Washing Machine". It was one song of their's that was not too appealing to hard-core motorcycle devotees, and to us seemed more appropriate to "summer flowers" trying to act biker on their Quackers. One thing Hawkwind, though; keep an eye out for conduits to sci-fi books, if you are a reader of the genre.

Rush, of course. I was quite a fan of their's in the mid eighties. Had most of their studio albums, from G/P backwards (the order in which I got them). It was this energetic dirge that was the clincher for me, and actually started my attempts at playing my own music (on the keyboard, initially).

Later, when I swapped to guitar, I used to enjoy playing the slow arpeggio intro to this one, for developing finger picking.

One of the earlier ones I also tried, this time around, was this Pink Floyd song (a cover here), but to start with I was having some trouble keeping the rhythm going while simultaneously managing the vocals and so shelved it.

Now that I am beginning to push the envelope a bit, I have taken it on again, along with this slightly complicated rhythm (to sing to) from another of my most liked songs. You can get a pretty good "chord solo" going, too, with some barres, to replace the bass solo mid way through.

And I keep my eye open for inspiring covers, also, such as this guy's brilliant guitar adaptation of a synth Spandau Ballet hit, to stay motivated.

A while back there was a thread about synesthesia on this forum. Though at least one member mentioned music, he seemed to discard it as an example of this phenomena of perception, which left me wondering. I would differ. To me playing music is quite the ultimate form of essential synesthesia. Different chords express moods and colors, which are managed by the imagery of shapes in the mind's eye (so to speak), strung together by a "sensation", if you will, of movement as the tune is played out. Though I can read sheet music, I still have my own code for its "deployment". I cannot be the only one...

And having thus vented and in the process bored everyone who might have have gone as far as reading this post; that would be all from me, I believe, for this thread.

Take care.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think of colors when I hear or play music, but I don't think that's the same thing as actual synesthesia. Synesthetes supposedly actually see colors as iff they are in front of their eyes, whereas for me it's just what I'm thinking of, and what colors I think are influenced by things such as the primary color of the album cover art or the lyrics and so forth. I have a red bass guitar and there is a song I (and friends) wrote on it that is in the key of C minor, so every time I play a Cm chord I think of the red color on that bass, for example.

As for Rush, I was a giant fan growing up, moved away from them for a bit, and then a few years ago came back into the fold. I had to finally admit they are my all-time favorite band. And their new Clockwork Angels album is fantastic, a concept album that is one of their best since at least the mid 80s, with a whole story set in a steampunk universe. I saw them live back in October and they blew me away. Really high quality showmanship and unbelievable energy.

E

ex-orbinaut

Synesthetes supposedly actually see colors as iff they are in front of their eyes,

That part of your explanation very lucidly clarifies the determining detail. So it is a very strong association of ideas to actions, retained and reawakened no doubt from the learning of the conduct of playing music. It would seem that it is, therefore, probably a very fine line to discern between synesthesia and strong associations, for those who have never experienced the true former condition.

Very good, the new Rush. With the year of its release being now only a century away from the year in which their epic and probably most known album was set, I suppose they could not do without making the effort. 2112 does not seem so far in the distant future anymore. There are now people alive who will more likely than not live to see that year.

Many thanks.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
2112 does not seem so far in the distant future anymore. There are now people alive who will more likely than not live to see that year.

Many thanks.

In case you hadn't noticed, the album cover of Clockwork Angels is a clock which reads 21:12 in 24 hour notation.

And I'm waiting for the Singularity, so I can be there in 2112 with my shiny new robot body!

E

ex-orbinaut

In case you hadn't noticed, the album cover of Clockwork Angels is a clock which reads 21:12 in 24 hour notation.

So it does. Except for their first album, they always did have interesting cover art.

And I'm waiting for the Singularity, so I can be there in 2112 with my shiny new robot body!

Though Kurzweil remains as yet on my list of "to read" sci-fi authors, yeah, I know what you mean. Hopefully guitars will not be banned...

Well, look at that, still posting. While I am here I'll at least contribute another video or two; one of only two groups that I ever saw in concert, in a town hall. Convention has it that you must start chanting "you fat bastard" when they appear on stage...

The other was "Crash Alley" (not the South Dakota band of the same name). I cannot find any videos of them. I was surprised to find Rusty Nuts, in fact, but during a browse around I found this, which one of the lads had ("Oi! Troi lekkin' the fronk broik off neks toim!")... :lol:

EDIT:
But for the finale, I checked out what's up with another band I like very much to find they just released a new album, Delta Machine, 5 days ago.

That's it. Nice chatting.

Last edited by a moderator:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
The newest album from a Swedish metal band Sabaton.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just got this on vinyl. Have to be a in a particular mood to listen to this, as well as a disregard for the neighbors...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4WMQOueCIk"]Electric Wizard - Weird tales - YouTube[/ame]