What music are you listening to?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only just stumbled on the belated news. 20 May, 2013, RIP Ray Manzarek. While looking up another old favorite to play on the guitar (The End). I post this song instead as there is more of Manzarek's keyboard playing in it...

The Doors - Light My Fire (2006 Remastered) - YouTube

Indeed, I didn't think to post it in this thread, but Manzarek was a great musician. Morrison was a great front man, but Manazarek was responsible for the Doors' iconic sound.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-af9Q-zvQ"]The Doors - Riders On The Storm (ORIGINAL!) - driving with Jim - YouTube[/ame]

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

....despite the fact that it's incredibly sunny and 34 degrees here. :p

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
I'm not normally an electronic fan, but after hearing this SO OFTEN as a catchy BGM jingle on the TV, it's quite nice to find what it actually is: (good ol' music recognizing Android app!)

And this got firmly wedged in my head after hearing it on a FlightGear promo video:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Came back to (IMO) one of the greatest albums ever: In the Court of the Crimson King. Absolutely mind-blowing. Since first hearing it, all other music has felt just a little less great.

It's getting a bit off-topic, since I don't know anyone who actually "listens" to this other than for novelty reasons

I may or may not have composed some of these in the past. For novelty reasons, of course. :shifty:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because of the biceps, man. :lol:

Skyrim has some excellent, excellent atmospheric tracks. Listening to that soundtrack and letting the imagination drift is very entertaining. I used it as inspiration during a world-building process, and the couple of folks who got to roleplay in it seemed pleased with the results. "Kyne's Peace" became an area much like Skyrim itself, at both a high latitude and altitude, nestled between and shielded by a continent-spanning mountain range and one of its branches. "Under an Ancient Sun" became the flatter lands to its south, where most of the civilisation resided and where much of the campaign took place, as well as the inspiration for the title.

The 40-minute "Skyrim Atmospheres" track on the last CD is particularly great for the imagination. :blahblah:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Apollo 13 Soundtrack. I love how they managed to render musically mechanical and physical stress, making the spacecraft almost a living being. That smartly interlaced with the psychological state of the characters.

Last edited:

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
just now i'm enjoying alot of 'king tubby' and 'yabby yoo' which is from back in the heyday of Jamaican dub, those guys basically established most of the form to modern computer music using analogue tape loops and production. (cut the bass! drop the bass!)

goto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTkmNTuaAo

and skank till your hearts content

i'd also recommend any of 'aphex twins' 'selected ambient works' albums as an awesome soundtrack to orbiter

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

its shameless self promotion but...

https://soundcloud.com/howlingworm/runsa

it was made a while ago by my friend ross and i.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I gave the new Deep Purple album a listen. Wasn't expecting much with the loss of Jon Lord and the lack of Blackmore, but I gotta hand it to them, they managed to keep some of the old Purple sound, and Ian Gillan's voice remains awesome:

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think Airey did a pretty great job on that keyboard. He's not Lord, but he's doing well in this band. :2cents:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
So somehow my youtube random clicking has led me to a group that I should've known more about, but somehow failed to get into back in the day, probably because this stuff wasn't on mainstream radio when I was a teenager. A little googling reveals the shocking origin of the band's name.

This band is Joy Division, a band which basically started the "goth" music scene, and which was only around for a couple of years before the singer, suffering from epileptic siezures and concerned he was going to let his bandmates down, killed himself. A horrible ending to such a good talent. The band renamed themselves New Order and Joy Division was officially disbanded forever.

E

ex-orbinaut

This band is Joy Division, a band which basically started the "goth" music scene, and which was only around for a couple of years before the singer, suffering from epileptic siezures and concerned he was going to let his bandmates down, killed himself. A horrible ending to such a good talent. The band renamed themselves New Order and Joy Division was officially disbanded forever.

:lol: You keep running into all the bands I used to listen around about and just before my college days! Another one along those lines was "Red Lorry Yellow Lorry".

New Order, of course, should be rather better known, if only for this one...

EDIT: This band has been hanging around in my "to listen to" Yotube playlist for a couple of months now. Listened to it just now. Think it deserves a link here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
In between listening to rock I like to hit up some jazz. As with metal, I'm picky about my jazz. Coltrane is always good:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Currently in the process of learning this song.

The whole band seems to be doing fine with it. Very dynamic song.