What music are you listening to?

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I'm a big symphonic prog fan, and I just discovered Renaissance. Scheherazade and Other Stories is a masterpiece.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread and found this one, so....

I'm currently listening to WXPN's radio show Star's End, which is broadcast out of Philadelphia, PA, and streams over the net so I can always get my fix on Saturday nights in the DC area.

The intro to the show is a peice from the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine_Dream"]Tangerine Dream[/ame] album "Pheadra", which is a seminal work in the history of space music from 1974.

I got to see Tangerine Dream finally a few months ago when they toured the US and I caught them in Philly at a really cool place called Underground Arts. Edgar Froese is the only original member of TD left, and I got to meet him after the show! He is a really cool guy and when the band was finished, he stood at the front of the stage with his bandmates and met and shook hands with all the fans. The younger band members looked up to him as all these Americans half his age came up to see their band leader and show appreciation for his work, it was really something to see.

Last edited:

FADEC

Reaction score
Currently I am rather amazed by film music. Especially "Hollywood in Vienna". It's a gala, happening once a year. The Austrian Radio-Symphony Orchestra Vienna plays famous soundtracks, mostly conducted by by its composer. And it's really awesome.

I already posted this one in the Video thread:

Back to the Future:

Star Wars:

Pirates of the Caribbean:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsF5_H-kXY"]New Pirates of the Caribbean Suite - Klaus Badelt - Hollywood in Vienna 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm currently enamoured with Misty mountains from The Hobbit:

This lady sings the ballad in full (27 stanzas):

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is cool. A few months ago I was hanging out in a local pub in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside of DC, watching a rock band play. It's pretty much the only rock and roll bar in this neighborhood, and it's kind of a dump, the way a good rock bar should be.

Anyhow after this one okay-sounding band played, they brought in this guest band from Philly, a punk band called Spinechain, and they rocked the place.

And sure enough, someone got it on video! It's not the best quality; but the energy this band put out when I was sitting right in front of them was huge. One of the voices cheering between songs is me:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_K-e4R-v4Q"]Spinechain @ O'Shaughnessy's Pub - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I nabbed Skyrim's soundtrack over Christmas, and got around to listening to it lately. I'd put the listening on the same level Shore's LotR sountrack, or perhaps above it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYWi-_Ng9l0"]Skyrim Soundtrack Disc 3- 42 Blood And Steel - YouTube[/ame]

As a sometimes-writer of fantasy, it's an enormous inspiration.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Have you heard the skyrim covers?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLPH9d-jsI"]Skyrim- Peter Hollens & Lindsey Stirling - YouTube[/ame]

and

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-buV4tYOA"]Skyrim: The Dragonborn Comes - Female Cover by Malukah - YouTube[/ame]

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNuwOYQPr-s"]Avantasia - The Seven Angels - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

APDAF

Reaction score
Here is the music I listen to the most.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LG61I1-9AE"]Freelancer Music: Liberty Space - YouTube[/ame]

FADEC

Reaction score
Something different this time: Phil Collins - Finally the first farewell tour, Paris, 2004. Too bad I wasn't there. But at least I got the DVD. Probably one of his best concerts ever. The beginning already is great...

And I came across something that is actually quite old (1996), but I never saw it in the 90s or later. This guy certainly had his moment. Even if I could sing, I wouldn't have the guts to do it with Sting in front of such an audience...

I nabbed Skyrim's soundtrack over Christmas, and got around to listening to it lately. I'd put the listening on the same level Shore's LotR sountrack, or perhaps above it.

Skyrim Soundtrack Disc 2- 22 Kyne's Peace - YouTube

Skyrim Soundtrack Disc 1- 3 From Past To Present - YouTube

Skyrim Soundtrack Disc 2- 19 Frostfall - YouTube

Skyrim Soundtrack Disc 3- 42 Blood And Steel - YouTube

As a sometimes-writer of fantasy, it's an enormous inspiration.

They are making a MMORPG version of the game by the way (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), which I think is a great decision.

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I'm a mood music kind of guy:
Mary Fahl - "Going Home" and "Ariel":thumbup:
Enya - "On Your Shore", "The River Sings"

But I like the lighter stuff too, when the mood strikes:
The Tokens: "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"
Toto: Africa
My custom CD with those songs also has a really haunting Itzak Perlman redition of "Hatikva":thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My favorites for next weeks German Eurovision national final:

Sadly, the favorites are "Söhne Mannheims", which, even without their omnipotent superstar Xavier Naidoo, would likely even win by reading the German phone book... because they have the bigger fan club.

FADEC

Reaction score
Sadly, the favorites are "Söhne Mannheims", which, even without their omnipotent superstar Xavier Naidoo, would likely even win by reading the German phone book... because they have the bigger fan club.

I'm not a fan. But this choice is way better than Lena, which is a good Nora Tschirner impersonator with iffy and pubertal behaviour during interviews.

Not to mention No Angels, or even worse, Guildo Horn. Just the reason why I don't watch this anyway. It's really a bad-taste-event.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No need to insult Nora Tschirner. Also, calling Guildo Horn worse than "No Angels" requires some many explanations... not that we had seen worse, far worse there. But there had also been good sides of the story. And bad taste event was something of the dark and evil past, when we constantly used the same chords for our ESC songs. Or at least warned the audience to "run and hide".

Some German candidates really deserve to be forgotten quickly... the winning songs in the ESC of the last ten years have not been trash, and sending trash to the contest does not seem to be a good idea. Quite contrary, last years song was very good even without the ESC context.

FADEC

Reaction score
No need to insult Nora Tschirner.

Not at all. She is a good actress, and a lovely person anyway. Actually the type of woman which I like. Much like Felicity Jones :love:

Felicity%2BJones%2BUpdos%2BClassic%2BBun%2B9eY1vUmqkJ2l.jpg

840017573.jpg

By pubertal behaviour I meant Lena, not Nora. She is really annoying, sometimes.

"I believe I spider." (Clixoom interview)

:facepalm:

Also, calling Guildo Horn worse than "No Angels" requires some many explanations...

Piep, piep, piep, Guildo hat euch lieb... doesn't really require many explanations I think :lol:

last years song was very good even without the ESC context.

Satellite was terrible. And it even got the first place.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not at all. She is a good actress, and a lovely person anyway. Actually the type of woman which I like. Much like Felicity Jones :love:

And played the Halluzinelle in the Ijon Tichy series. The hardest role there. :lol:

By pubertal behaviour I meant Lena, not Nora. She is really annoying, sometimes.

She can be quite amusing most of the time, if you don't bore her to death. Some sort of a diva, yes. And on pubertal behaviour...hey, she was 18. Nothing would be more boring than a 18 year old new artist, with the manners of a 50 year old....

Piep, piep, piep, Guildo hat euch lieb... doesn't really require many explanations I think :lol:

Not really... the song was from 1996... and you still remember it. Yes, its cruel maybe, but I can still see him climb around in Birmingham.

Satellite was terrible. And it even got the first place.

I meant "Euphoria", which was last years winning song. By Sweden.

Still, "Satellite" was the best song of the year, which says a lot about the other songs. Contrary to "no, no, never", which was a successful German failure, "Satellite" is not really played in radio anymore. A too nervous song to enjoy for long.