Question What's so great about Minecraft??

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
I ALWAYS hear of other orbinauts talking about Minecraft, and some of my local friends play it too.

I also read this thread, but most of the comments say how addicting it is.

Could someone please enlighten me WHY it's so fun and addicting? and if i should buy the full version, or just stick to the beta...

Jarvitä

Reaction score
It's a great time-waster if you have imagination and creativity.

Otherwise, you'll get bored of it pretty soon.

Turbinator

Reaction score
I would stick to the beta, because the only reason I go on Mincraft is to go on to on-line build servers. I don't play the "survival" mode at all, I find it long, boring, and pointless. However, I do play the build servers and the zombie servers.

In build servers, you do exactly that. The server has many maps or 'rooms' that players can go to and build -anything- they want, for all to see.

In zombie servers, once the map starts one player is a zombie, and everyone else is human. The humans must do everything possible to hide / get away from the zombie. The zombie must find others and touch them. If a zombie touches a human player that player becomes a zombie and must infect others.

All of this is available in the free beta.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
I've got minecraft here, and yeah, it's pretty addicting... It doesn't take long before you want to start a really big project, and you start spending ridiculous amounts of time getting materials and building it.

It's more fun when played in MP... I used to be a regular on a server set up by someone in the xkcd forums... man that server had some complex stuff on it :lol: Those guys had a fully functional railway system, with automatic cart dispensers, routers, and whatnot.

I didn't really get bored of it... I had to force myself to stop because I had work to do :lol: ...But then I kinda lost interest in it...

The other day I got to it again, and saw that it's been updated quite a lot after I last played it... many of the bugs people used to abuse for making cool things are fixed now (I imagine they were replaced by 'official' solutions)... but some of the appeal seems to have gone with it.

And I really didn't like that there are achievements now... that always seemed to me like the cheapest way to force a game to last longer... I don't know... I think achievements are so 'arcadish' and, well, cheap...

Cheers

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
I haven't played Minecraft since it was still in alpha. I played it because it was fun. I'm the kind of person who gets a kick out of building simulated space stations one launch at a time -- which is nearly as time-consuming as gathering materials in Minecraft. :)

What I liked the most about Minecraft was the various combinations of things that you have to put together to create more useful things. In order to get to the basic materials you have to go out in the world and find them, which opens up the aspect of exploration, which just happens to be another thing I like in a game (and quite often in reality, as well). Also, many of the rare materials are found deep underground, and to get to those you have to mine like crazy. Once you start tunneling into stone the possibilities are pretty much endless. :)

Minecraft is a creative outlet that is limited only by one's imagination.

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
I like minecraft, because it is a great time killer/waster. You can spend any ammount of time with it. You can go out and exoplore the world. Than you settle and build something. And if you get bored, you venture out and do something new. And after a while you come back to see how your old stuff is doing.

Btw. Are there any Orbinaut recommended Minecraft servers?

Ark

Reaction score
I spent my childhood playing with Legos. Minecraft is a natural extension of that instinct.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
All of it. Can't wait to have some money spare to buy it. Not because it is expensive, but because I am currently stretching the little money I have for not getting mentioned by Standard & Poors.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It's the sandbox aspect of it. But I don't plan on buying it; it does bore me. I prefer Garry's Mod now, as you really can do anything, especially if you can script/code. (a fully functioning, switchable railway system is relatively simple)

Turbinator

Reaction score
How do you get the FREE beta? It wants me to pay...

Go to: http://www.minecraft.net/

On the right side you will see the big Buy Now! button;
Under it you will see the Play Minecraft Beta, thats NOT free;
And finally under that you will see in tiny letters Play Minecraft Classic (Outdated, but free)

Many Minecraft Classic multiplayer servers have installed mods that recreate the Minecraft Beta payed version.

.​

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I love the Survival singleplayer mode. It builds an unpredictable world (unless you provide the same seed string every time; I'm becoming fond of Archespore. :p)

That said, this time around I'm finding singleplayer a little annoying. I used to have a massive flying castle with auto-defense arrow dispensers, a giant Probe monument and all the trappings possible in the then-current beta build, but lost it in a power surge. It's hard to adjust to the vagabond lifestyle after being a king, even it was a king of nothingland. Oh well, this time around I can correct the problems the last castle had, incorporate those new piston doodads into some ridiculous monster squasher, add that throne room suspended over a magma ocean I've wanted since reading about Dwarf Fortress........ Oh yes, and I'll have to level a mountain to make room for it. With TNT. :)

Macgruber

Reaction score
I would just like to point out to the people who find a lack of substance in the survival mode, this is to be expected.

There is really noting in survival mode at the moment, it's really pure engine work.

The next release will have NPC villages, possibly quests, more interesting underground environs as well as new mobs.

Oh, and tons of new RPG elements for community based maps to use.

Ark

Reaction score
There is a mod that adds NPC villages, it's kind of cheesy but still interesting.

Personally I bought it because I felt the entertainment value was totally worth the $20 or whatever they wanted for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chub777

Reaction score
I don't have it but my other friends do. Apparently it's addicting due to the zombies that attack you at night (or something along those lines).

Off Topic (ish): I've made an account on this and Classic doesn't work. Instead I get this.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Update your drivers. That's an OpenGL error. Do you have an onboard IntelGMA or a very old card?

Chub777

Reaction score
Update your drivers. That's an OpenGL error. Do you have an onboard IntelGMA or a very old card?

Let me check...

EDIT:It's not an IntelGMA. I don't know if my graphics card (this) is old, though.

Last edited: