Software what's the current consensus of Orbiter 2010 + Linux using Wine 1.4

gedaliah_atl

Reaction score
Hi,

What's the current consensus of Orbiter 2010 + Linux using Wine 1.4? The information I've found seems a little dated. I've found some anecdotal reports here of Orbiter working "flawlessly" under Wine 1.4 but little explanation. I'm interested if this is using Directx (and if so was that using Winetricks or installing Directx 9c in Wine) or if using OGLA. And if successful what were your steps?

Thanks!

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for Wine 1.4, but with Wine 1.5 (1.5.9) Orbiter works for me almost flawlessly using the in-line (DirectX 7, orbiter.exe and not orbiter_ng.exe) client:
  • Orbiter 100830 has some clipping issue for certain FoV range in VC or external view, which strangely depends on altitude of the vessel (the vessel and planet disappear, until I zoom-in some more).

• Orbiter 111105 doesn't have the earlier mentioned clipping issue, but displays left MFD's "Mode Select" and "MFD Menu" pages with some offset (it's just fine when the actual MFD mode is diplayed).

• The FPS is quite low: 20-30; while in Windows, using the same settings (1920x1440x32, no AA) it's 130-310.

• Other than the above, I've had no problems with running Orbiter under Linux, using Wine 1.5 (1.5.2 - 1.5.9), but I haven't checked many add-ons, just texture improvements.
You'll need Winetricks for sure for Visual C++ 2005 runtime redistributable (at least for Orbiter 111105), as Wine's is missing some function. I haven't checked the D3D9Client, but if it works, DirectX 9.0c would be most likely required for it, too (either via Winetricks or `wine DXSETUP.exe`).

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I can confirm that the DX7 client in Orbiter 111105 works for Wine 1.4, supplied in Debian-testing. Just don't turn on Planetarium mode, because then nothing else is displayed.
The DX9 client doesn't work properly in the Launchpad, hence I can't launch it.

Now it makes sense for me to create a tutorial about development for Orbiter under Linux, using native CodeBlocks and MS compiler through Wine.

Last edited:

jonmatifa

Reaction score
I've gotten the D3D9client working, it runs fast and its beautiful.... EXCEPT the dialogue boxes on MFDs (such as specifying a target) don't display and hurts a lot of functionality. It seems like others have reported running D3D9Client without any problems, I wonder how they solved this issue...

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Would the OGLA client not make more sense under linux?

gedaliah_atl

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far! I'm starting to think because of my amazement of Orbiter, as well as my video hobbies, I may have to start using Windows 7 once again more on the personal side. As it is I adopted Debian Squeeze as my primary operating system well over a year ago when I wasn't working (putting Orbiter aside), and ended up getting a job doing Unix and Oracle. I've followed space my whole life and the ability to bring all that history to realization in Orbiter is beyond words.