Where do I start. WARNING I don't sugar code nothing.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Well, First off I want to say a big thank you to the makers and shakers of orbiter. By far the big addiction right now.

I started out like most. Grabbing every add on I could find that interested me. My orbiter was just jammed. I tried the star trek ones the star wars ones. If it has "star" in front I have given it a go. And while yes they are just outstanding looking stuff is wrong. While the MFD's work great. There is always something that is wrong. If something is made for the sci fi world then do it right. You hear about all the time people going out and making something crazy. Just yesterday I was watching a video about Adam Savage from mythbusters making a real to movie Han Solo blaster. And in that video some interesting points were brought up about how it is so hard to find the actual information about these things. Not just the blaster All of sci fi.

Yes does this sound like a rant, well kinda yes but this is what I hope is the start of people seeing the simple truth. Some things are just done half fast and people just give up or something.

Right now I am using a beta of SLINGSHIP 377 from Space Rangers. The coder and designer and so much more efficent at this stuff then I will ever be and he is the perfect example. He got the ship so right when it comes to looks. And he is also taking the time with me to make sure she fly's true to form. I want people to feel this ship. Feel the way she acts, feel her personality. Everything. We are getting real close to the ship being done completely and we are getting close to having the most killer base again TRUE TO SHOW.

In the next little edition I will get into some of the things I have noticed that is wrong and not true to show starting with my fav Star trek.

Peeps must love the show but I guess they never took a look at any of Mike Okuda's stuff on the ships them selves.

Peace...TMH

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think you might need to set some realistic expectations. These vessels are made available for free.

If you have such a problem with what people are doing, feel free to not use it, but don't go ranting about how horrible they are. I suggest that you try to do better before you criticize the job that anyone has done on their addon.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well for what its worth, I have plans for a Star Wars project in the summer, but it depends a lot on getting permission to use other developers meshes. I can code some very nice things, but I cant do projects with good meshes without working with a good mesher. Its just not my talent area.

I don't think this is too harsh though... I like knowing that people do want to see greater and better addons, its certainly better than silence...

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I feel your pain, from time to time. As a Trek fan, it's a little disappointing our franchise is represented so poorly in this field. (And also now brutally slaughtered by Captain Lens Flare on the big screen, but I digress).

It's a big part of the reason I learned to write code; my eventual aim being to contribute towards fixing the problem; only now I find my time needed elsewhere usually.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I am not the only one as you can see. Why the hell are they being made with such detail. You must be a fan if you take the time like that to do such amazing work. Mr penguin I don't mean to bash them you take me all wrong yes I am ranting a bit about it. But have you seen the amount of detail in these things. As a general sci fi nut I am blown away at what these people can do and the amount of skill needed as I will NEVER be able to do that kinda stuff I am sure but that being said you build a killer ship and then just slam a basic SC3 file to it I mean come on. Make your ship fly. Be and feel the way it should. THATS WHAT I AM SAYING. I now know from working with the designer of my ships what it really takes. But that being said He has taken the time to capture the essences of the ship it self and has done a amazing job of doing it. So that tells me two things 1 it can be done. 2 people are just not doing it cause they don't want to sit there for hours tweaking it. I was just told by another member of this forum that he sat and did it for like 2 or three weeks to get it right. GOOD ON HIM. THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

And as for XYON. Buddy get on it. These ships are way to cool not have the right flight dynamics. I know it can be done. I know its a lot of time and I KNOW ITS FREE PENGUIN. But if you work in the service based environment with that attitude wow. It's called taking pride in your work. I see so many things that are done right on here and then when I see a mesh that looks that perfect go to waste because thats all it is nice to look at. take pride and make it right regardless if you are doing it for free or not.

Bruce.... Star wars done right would be so cool. I know it would be such a pain in the butt but to try and recreate the final battle. OMG. But I can so see a CTD cause of that many ships sitting in space. I think the falcon mesh is pretty good. Really impressed with it actually but like the others I don't need to say it. I hope you get your SW addons going. Can't wait to see them. Me and my designer are just about don't one of ours and we are working on the Neb from the matrix. That's gonna be a good one. All the pads will move with the ship ah ya thats a big one. I feel so bad for the coder/designer cause I don't know how to help just know how they feel and fly based on the information from the show and resources I have found.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sometimes the issue is the vessel is in a movie. So you can do all sorts of things that you may or maybe not be able to do in Orbiter. The bubbleship for example. It flys true to vector engines. But not like the movie.