AMSO or NASSP

• AMSO

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • NASSP

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters

gimp1992

Reaction score
It's so hard to choose but NASSP gets my nod. I do like AMSO for the eye candy and EVA's, but there is nothing like sitting in the spacecraft and doing it the way it was done 40 + years ago. So what the gist is NASSP is the one I would have to choose.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
NASSP has the feel.

I love ASMO's visuals and features, but NASSP has those wonderful panels.

I went to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum pretty recently and had a chance to closely study the actual panel itself. Due to NASSP and some reading on my own, I had a good idea on what many of those switches actually do.

NASSP just has the gritty feel and reminds me that Orbiter is a simulator, not a game, and how amazing that we made it to the moon for real.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Of course comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges as they represent different genres :) But oh well, lets try:

Anyone wants great meshes and excellent textures. Not everyone is interested in overly detailed simulation. Besides, AMSO is more or less finished project, while NASSP is far from finished state. So AMSO has some serious advantage here :)

As for me, I voted for nassp - sometimes i'm in manualreadingbuttonswitching-mood and in those times amso won't help me.

Rehnn

Reaction score
As I like clicking thinngs and following procedures then it's NASSP for me!

retro

Reaction score
Nassp by far !

More buttons and check lists the better,bring it on !

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
AMSO... for it's simplicity. I currently have my head humming already because of the various Shuttle Checklists I read every few days, I don't need that for apollo...

Dogsbd

Reaction score
Website
members.tripod.com
I've not tried the latest NASSP but from what I've read doesn't it have some simplified modes for those that don't want to use authentic Apollo checklists? Quickstart scenarios, or something like that?

I've been using AMSO for a few days and it is a lot of fun. But I'd be hard pressed to make a choice between either, I want both.

(but I voted NASSP just to even the score a bit)

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
I've not tried the latest NASSP but from what I've read doesn't it have some simplified modes for those that don't want to use authentic Apollo checklists? Quickstart scenarios, or something like that?

Correct, in Quickstart Mode there's no (or will be almost no to be exact) panel interaction necessary, the checklists are executed automatically: http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/First_Steps

Cheers
Tschachim

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I flew NASSP exclusively till the development on the beta seemed to stall (about a year or so ago). Yes, I know there have been updates, but the progress has been too incremental to keep me interested.

AMSO (while simpler for the operator) came out of nowhere and continues to grow by leaps and bounds. The graphics are top shelf stuff and the sim is well thought out and executed to perfection.

They are BOTH excellent in their own right, and target 2 different audiences. You just have to decide which one lights YOUR candle.

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
...till the development on the beta seemed to stall (about a year or so ago). Yes, I know there have been updates, but the progress has been too incremental to keep me interested.

I won't call it stall, but basically you're right, since we're working towards an "Apollo 7 centered" release, the differences between the betas get smaller. I'm shortly before finishing the RCS stuff (tanks, valves etc.), the latest beta still has Orbiter's "magic" thrusters.After that's most "big points" are done, and most of the work will be documentation, checklists and smaller improvements and fixes.

Cheers
Tschachim

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I do enjoy both and I do like both concepts. AMSO is without doubt a true jewel among the Orbiter add-ons and I look forward to the next versions!

I voted for NASSP though, since I consider being able to fly and navigate using the historical guidance and navigation procedures fan-double-tastic, let alone having the virtual AGC implemented and the other systems! The NASSP star will rise more and more in the future. :)

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I would pick NASSP because it is more on the realistic side of things. There are actual working switches and panels. How great is that?! It is really great that you can activate the CSM RCS thrusters by doing real procedures.

Therius

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think it's worth trying both. AMSO is my favorite, but I still fire up NASSP from time to time. They both have their own strong points. Each can be appreciated.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
It is pretty obvious that Rocky Balboa will win after you watch like the first three. Ha.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
AMSO for me... i had such problems with NASSP (outdated tutorials, meself not being an ex-astronaut, unclear instructions). As an example, in NASSP i had problems separating the CSM from the S-IVB, even though i clicked the right switches O,o

But then again, that was back when i was a real nubster, and knew about as much of spaceflight as a chicken knows about indian food... D: