Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
We have many skin (style) options here on Orbiter-Forum. I'm looking to revitalize the styles and maybe add a new option. At the same time, we'd like to limit the total number of styles to 4 options as maintenance becomes a pain with too many. So, we would like your input in the attached poll. Please vote for the skin you like and use the most. Thanks!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Did not try any other yet.... What is needed for making a forum skin anyway? Can this be done as some sort of package?

Like, having a NASA Apollo theme skin for the forum?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Huh, so that's why forum looks weird when i'm not logged in.
I kinda forgot they existed.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
After testing a few I must say the dark night and Orbiter skins are VERY similar, generally, most are all a bit on the dark side.

I would prefer to have more lighter themes.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For myself, "Orbiter-Forum" skin is clear and functional. Aside, I like blue.

MikeB

Reaction score
I use Default, but not by default. I tried them all a long time ago, and re-tried them just now, and prefer the default theme (which looks like White Pages to me). But if the site admins switch to a different default, I'm willing to consider it. I prefer a light theme. Also blue-ish.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I quite like the default theme, so I think I would start a riot if it would be removed. :lol:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What's this poll for? The skins are stored in the users settings, so they should be available to the web-admin, right?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Did not try any other yet.... What is needed for making a forum skin anyway? Can this be done as some sort of package?

Like, having a NASA Apollo theme skin for the forum?

Each style has its own set of templates and CSS that defines the pages on the forum. So any changes made has to be applied to them individually. We've been able to use a few tricks to minimize this, but some things can't be tied together, so it's inevitable that each skin requires a certain amount of unique work for changes made to the site.

After testing a few I must say the dark night and Orbiter skins are VERY similar, generally, most are all a bit on the dark side.

I would prefer to have more lighter themes.

No matter what comes of this, we will retain dark and bright options. I realize not everyone likes the dark colors -- for some it's hard on the eyes.

What's this poll for? The skins are stored in the users settings, so they should be available to the web-admin, right?

If we looked at each member's profile individually, then yes, we could see if they chose a skin from their UserCP settings page. However, there is no query we can run to see only that. One could probably be created, but a poll just seems easier and allows input such as these posts to be made. Furthermore, members can use the dropdown menu on the footer of the site to change style options. This is not tracked in the users options. It's stored in a cookie and cleared once the user logs out.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I quite like the default theme, so I think I would start a riot if it would be removed. :lol:

Have you tired the White Pages skin? Very similar to default, but just a slightly different shade of blue. I've been using it for the most part, but I also like the Orbiter-Forum skin as it has a clean & professional touch with various color options available.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I have, it's just "too bright" for my taste. :)

That being said, I did just try the "Orbiter-Forum" skin, and I like it well enough -- it is similar to the default skin, but a bit less blue. The default is still my favorite, though. :p

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I'm with Doug!
I love the default skin.
I've just tried them all once again, and to my taste Default wins hands down!

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tend to use Orbiter and the Dark Nights themes. Light website design hurts my eyes. That being said, the default skin is really nice from a purely design perspective.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for the feedback all. Seems the Default and Orbiter-Forum skins are the favorites so far. Since the Default skin is the standard vBulletin 3.8x style, I doubt we'll be ditching it. We may however make another skin the standard style for guests and users not logged in. As usual, members logged in will be able to change skin selections in their settings or on the site footer.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dark Nights.

Much easier on my eyes. Plus I'm forced to look at MS email and Word, etc. at work all day in the default scheme, so a changeup is nice.

---------- Post added 10-25-17 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-24-17 at 11:59 PM ----------

Also: Tex? You're back on the staff again, huh? Interesting.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Dark Nights.

Much easier on my eyes. Plus I'm forced to look at MS email and Word, etc. at work all day in the default scheme, so a changeup is nice.

---------- Post added 10-25-17 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-24-17 at 11:59 PM ----------

Also: Tex? You're back on the staff again, huh? Interesting.

Thanks for the feedback Andy. Yep, I'm just helping out since I've found the time lately.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
White Pages is my favorite. I've just retried them all, and that's the one I still like the most. All the dark ones are hard to read for me.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I previously used Dark Nights, but I found some time back that I favour the Orbiter skin as it's a little more aesthetically pleasing to me. I'm a creature of darker skin preferences too.