why did they call International Atomic Time (TAI) instead of (IAT)?

ncc1701d

Reaction score
why do they call International atomic time TAI instead of IAT ?

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
French. Adjectives after nouns.

AFAIK, English/German are the oddities in this regard.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yep, it's french. Also in italian anyway: Tempo Atomico Internazionale

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I assume all Romance languages are like that?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I always assume the answer is "French".
Like SI (units) or CERN. And then UTC (time) is just a compromise between English and French.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
AFAIK, English/German are the oddities in this regard.

Well, Russian and other Slavic languages also prefer this order, though it isn't fully mandatory there (The word endings are usually accurate enough).

But then, there is also the insider joke of "Falle, Schnapp, für Kleintier, grau" about the absurdities of German military language ... :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I always assume the answer is "French".
Like SI (units) or CERN. And then UTC (time) is just a compromise between English and French.

I'm not so sure: Universal Time Coordinate could have as its subject "Coordinate" and not "Time", and so would make sense in English. Wild Wednesday-morning guess, however.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, Russian and other Slavic languages also prefer this order, though it isn't fully mandatory there (The word endings are usually accurate enough).

In south slavic tongues, it's mostly a style decision. Putting the adjective after the noun is usually considered flowery language and mostly encountered in poetry.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In south slavic tongues, it's mostly a style decision. Putting the adjective after the verb is usually considered flowery language and mostly encountered in poetry.

Likewise in English, and likely an influence from when French was a prestige language. Aside from poetry and a few specific phrases (e.g, attorney general, court martial), it just sounds weird though.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not so sure: Universal Time Coordinate could have as its subject "Coordinate" and not "Time", and so would make sense in English. Wild Wednesday-morning guess, however.

It's Universal Time Coordinated ... i.e. the time coordinated across multiple atomic clocks (I assume).

Universal Time Coordinate sounds to me like an awesome 4D space-time fix. Maybe the Big Bang for this universe!

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
How can a simple question raise a highly discussed topic, that's why I love this forum :yes:

APDAF

Reaction score
Now the question is...

What is it in Klingon?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now the question is...

What is it in Klingon?

No adjectives as such. But a similar construct can follow a noun, so it is more like French. Adverbs are placed at the beginning of a sentence in Klingon.

And now excuse me, I have a customer meeting and need my Klingon dictionary.....

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
why do they call International atomic time TAI instead of IAT ?

French: Temps atomique international

And then UTC (time) is just a compromise between English and French.

UTC comes from Universal Time (Coordinated). There are several versions of UT, named UTx:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Time#Versions

NB TAI and UTC are *NOT* equivalent. UTC is atomic time synchronized to astronomical time using leap seconds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

There is a continuing push to abolish leap seconds in UTC, where the proponents essentially argue that programmers are too dumb to handle them correctly. If that passes, then UTC will become synchronized with TAI, but will start diverging from UT1 (astronomical time) at the rate of about 1 second per year. This will make life easier for designers of terrestrial systems, but designers of space systems will have to switch to using UT1.

The science of time keeping, its history and politics are utterly fascinating.

1024px-Atmos_img_3421.jpg

^^ Atmos clock, runs on air (literally).

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is a continuing push to abolish leap seconds in UTC, where the proponents essentially argue that programmers are too dumb to handle them correctly. If that passes, then UTC will become synchronized with TAI, but will start diverging from UT1 (astronomical time) at the rate of about 1 second per year. This will make life easier for designers of terrestrial systems, but designers of space systems will have to switch to using UT1.

As one of those programmers, I have to say that the implementation of a 61st "mutant" second into a time stream is a gruesome thing to deal with. It's worse if you are thinking about timestamps on ultra-low latency trading systems in APAC, where a midnight leap second is a mid-trading session leap second. So each market has to work out what to do, each time.

I give mad respect to the Google engineers that came up with the 'leap smear". See this blog: https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/time-technology-and-leaping-seconds.html. Such an elegant solution.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score