Project Wideawake International Update

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Another little update for the sake of updating. The new Launch structure now has a lick of paint. Shown here is an XR5 testing the new blast deflection shields on take-off, whilst an XR2 does it's final pre-launch checks in the staging area.

To-do is the passenger terminal and launch control building (fairly quick job). That building and the main structure shown here will be the static mesh for the base. The animated parts (blast shields and passenger transfer tunnel) will be coded into an SC3 vessel, along with a fake thrust sound suppressing system (pipes visible).

launch-structure-dev3.jpg

The XR5 is such a gargantuan beast that she is the only vessel not completely dwarfed by the blast deflection shields!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another little update for the sake of updating. The new Launch structure now has a lick of paint. Shown here is an XR5 testing the new blast deflection shields on take-off, whilst an XR2 does it's final pre-launch checks in the staging area.

To-do is the passenger terminal and launch control building (fairly quick job). That building and the main structure shown here will be the static mesh for the base. The animated parts (blast shields and passenger transfer tunnel) will be coded into an SC3 vessel, along with a fake thrust sound suppressing system (pipes visible).

The XR5 is such a gargantuan beast that she is the only vessel not completely dwarfed by the blast deflection shields!

Looks nice! Though, isn't the blast deflection shield deflecting the blast toward the rest of the base? I would think that "up" would be a better direction...

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
What are the little arm looking things above the blast deflector?

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Fair observation, Hielor. I gave the shielding a lot of thought, considering many different options from the point of location, practicality and animations(I won't bore you going into it in detail) and settled on this for multiple reasons in the end. The blast now is deflected into dead space to the south and into a hill to the north - Both acceptable locations for runoff imho.

One reason I didn't do 'up' is because what goes up must come down... in this case likely all over the pre-launch area, defeating the objective.

Patterson, they are the sound suppression system pipes, they will spray water down into the main blast zone of the engine as well as in the direction of each blast shield. It's probabaly not the best way of doing it 'realisticaly', but it should work for sake of orbiter and my model.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow. That looks nice. Wideawake is already a fine base. These improvements will make simply fantastic.

Keep up the good work.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
I decided I didn't like the implementation of the blast deflection shields, so I decided to revert back to a previous design. So I've completely rebuilt that end of the launch facility.

Here are some new screens:
launch-structure-dev4.jpg

Now that I'm happy with that, the mesh is almost done. I just need to add the Launch Control & Passenger Terminal Building and do the SC3 file. That shouldn't take me long. After that it's adding the invisible launch pads to the base and implementing some simple taxiway/runway signage. I want to try and get the WIN update released by next weekend... you know, that weekend before next Tuesday. ;)

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Wow. That looks good.
Great job so far, WHAP.
:cheers:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The WLC is finished. So I'm on course for release by next weekend.

Here's another shot of the completed WLC, test-firing the sound suppression system.
launch-structure-dev5.jpg

Very nice, WHAP! I am so totally looking forward to this release. Along with the Toehold Lunar facility, my flights will get that much more awesome! :)

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not to intentionally revive a somewhat old thread, but my other post in the UCO thread reminded me... any word on where this project sits? I know many are looking forward to it. :)

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Not to intentionally revive a somewhat old thread, but my other post in the UCO thread reminded me... any word on where this project sits? I know many are looking forward to it. :)
hey arrow,

um yeah sorry chaps, i've been distracted by other things over the last coupla months... anyway I do plan to get his out in november for sure. i've been thinking about it actually....

I really want to move on to the toehold base as wideawake is starting to bore me a bit. development-wise she is a bit of a mess as I was learning as I went. if I started the project over I would manage the models and stuff differently. as it is it's a bit of a pain as far as further dev goes. so i'm thinking of just getting the update done with less overall content. I think i'm just going to fix the little things that bug me rather than develop a whole new bunch of stuff for it. obviously the new facility is a major addition but elsewhere will see minimal changes. with that finally done I can move on to a more sophisticated dev project in Toehold.... something I really want to do.

so with that in mind the WIN update dev should't take long to complete and release once I make the time to do it. but may not actually be too impressive.

so, to answer your question... it will be released by the forth next tuesday..