Windows XP SP3

DanP

Reaction score
Hi all,

Windows XP automatic update has alerted me to the existence of SP3. The smaller updates I usually install without giving them too much thought, but this one seems to be quite substantial. Does anybody know of any issues with SP3, stability etc., which should prevent me from installing it?

Thanks !

Dan.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I installed SP3 when it came available about half a year ago, it haven't caused any trouble.

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There were some problems with some PCs when it was first released, but I've upgraded all mine with no issues.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Hmm, I haven't re-installed windows in a while and the performance is starting to take a hit...maybe I'll take the chance to acquire a fresh SP3 installation. Or does SP3 only come as an update? I've been very selective about MS updates since the whole windows genuine advantage fiasco.

Meanwhile, my other PC has an uptime of 52 days and had it's last OS reinstall well over a year ago, but needs a reboot due to a kernel update :(

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Like all service packs, SP3 is a cumulative update which includes all the fixes in SP1 and SP2 as well. It is a patch and not a full installation. However, it is possible to get a full install XP disc with SP3 already integrated if you purchase a new XP disc (i.e., OEM XP discs come with the latest service pack already installed) or get the disc via an MSDN subscription. It is also possible to create your own "slipstreamed" XP w//SP3 installation disc manually using your original XP disc and the SP3 files, but it is somewhat involved. You can Google for "xp slipstream sp3" for details.

However, if you want to reinstall your XP and don't want to bother with all the slipstreaming work you can always just reinstall using your original XP disc and then apply SP3 right away.