Windows?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Surely if you meant it, you could have told me it was, "trans." Couldn't you? I am threw with arguing.

You will not call me a liar.

You don't look hard enough. I can clearly see it. Do you see it, too? :p

(Actually: "Trans" is exactly what stands there.)

:mad:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
MJR -

It's come up from several members here, but I think it's important to articulate it once more.

You're both young, and enthusiastic. This is both an asset and liability.

If you want to make add on, it's up to you. This is not a paint by numbers kit. Nobody that's serious about development is going to be willing to hold your hand every step of the way. Nobody held theirs, but when they had significant questions, the answers were provided.

What you need is discipline. You're not going to find instant gratification behind building add ons. It's going to take time and a lot of work.

Like writing a successful paper, 90% of your time should be spent "pre-writing." In other words, CAREFULLY READING the documentation and tutorials that are provided. Then spending a lot of time sketching, rethinking and redesigning things. Then experimenting and getting the skills to make it work.

Only then do you push forward towards implementation.

Finally, if you ask for advice - you need to follow it. If you don't, you'll find you get the reaction that you're currently experiencing.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I already found my solution. If I need to do all that then, where ae all the tutorials? I guess I am going to have to read each one of them, ONE by ONE. It is areal pain for me because I am really young and am not that informed about everything. I guess I have to wait a little.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Right, for completely transparent, set "trans" to zero. For a tinted window, try a color (light blue, gold, yellow, etc.) and set trans to about 0.2 or so. 0.5 or higher is a bit too opaque.

Regarding creating windows, it can be really hard...I tried long and hard with Anim8or to cut holes, and made a mess of my meshes. Perhaps my technique was bad. But other tools I've tried, for instance my stand by, AC3D, make hole-cutting easier (even for circular holes, which seem particularly tough in Anim8or).

Then just fill in the hole with a new mesh of that size, with your transparency set to what you want, and viola! you've got a window.

MT

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I guess I forgot to cut a hole in my craft. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Making circular holes in anim8or is tough work, especially if you do them on a rounded surface. I miss some special operators to do that operations, maybe a plug-in will one day add them.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't you have to make the window two sided or something like that? I vaguely remember someone saying somewhere that in order for the window to look right from both inside and outside, you have to make it two sided or something in Anim8or.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Don't you have to make the window two sided or something like that? I vaguely remember someone saying somewhere that in order for the window to look right from both inside and outside, you have to make it two sided or something in Anim8or.

Yes,

Remember textures are only one sided. If you want them visible from two side, you'll need to make two sides.

"Flip Normals" in the Edit menu is something to keep in mind (esp. for mirroring) if you find the textures are flipped backwards.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Another helpful hint, MJR -

In Anim8or, your polygons appear yellow if you're looking at their visible side. If they appear blue, you're looking at the back, or invisible side. "Flip normals" is how you can switch them.

Dogsbd

Reaction score
Website
members.tripod.com
Another helpful hint, MJR -

In Anim8or, your polygons appear yellow if you're looking at their visible side. If they appear blue, you're looking at the back, or invisible side. "Flip normals" is how you can switch them.

Another trick is to create a two sided test material. Make the front side red for instance, and the back side green. When you apply it to an object if red is showing on the side you expect it to the object is OK, if not just flip normals.