Question Wings and Boosters

DanScall

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm new to the whole addon making scene, but I managed to knock up a decent STSO and an Aircraft Carrier, so I figure I'm ready to have a bash at designing and making my own addon. I'm just going to go for a pretty standard spaceplane, with the idea being that it's the sort of thing we might see in, say, 25-30 years time (actually, I'm guessing there, I know nothing about space-craft and how quickly they develop :p)

One thing I'm considering is that instead of being SSTO (Which I don't think will really be feasible in that timeline) the shuttle will have a pair of boosters on pylons mounted on the wings, the combined thrust from a few minutes of their power+the shuttles own engines being enough to lift it into a ~500km orbit, with some spare to manoeuvre. The boosters would seperate and fall back to earth before either:

A) Parachuting into water.
B) Deploying wings a la a cruise missile and landing automatically on a skid.
C) Deploying a parafoil a la the X-38

The second idea I had was that, rather than a single vertical stabiliser, I'd have something like the A-225's H shaped tail.

Are these reasonable ideas, or am I just completely nuts?

Tommy

Reaction score
I would consider mounting the boosters as close to the fuselage as possible, either "over" the wings, or directly from the fuselage. Placing them farther out the wing means a stronger wing structure - and since the wings are "dead weight" most of the time it would seem a good idea to keep them as light as possible.

The "shaped tail" looks to be a fairly standard tailwing with two vertical stabilizers at the outer ends. I suspect a tailwing wouldn't work well in a craft that re-enters (due to the high AoA used) - although it might work if it "pivoted" upward (this would lead to a VERY hot leading edge of the tailwing). During re-entry you want to avoid presenting any small cross-section edges - blunt is best.