Donator
Reaction score

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Since it uses induction, range is always going to be a problem.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
most of the energy is lost after a very short distance. ud need to pump stupid amounts of power into it to get any result after just a relatively short distance

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
most of the energy is lost after a very short distance. ud need to pump stupid amounts of power into it to get any result after just a relatively short distance
That is not true. The inductive coupling between the transmitter and receiver drops off very quickly with distance. No energy is "lost" except that due to resistive losses in the coils in each device, and that remains the same regardless of distance.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a friend that reacts rather sensitive to electromagnetic fields, he would start screaming seeing this... (or probably start screaming from a headache already without seeing it)

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
How unusual, I was not aware such a condition existed. You sure wouldn't want to put him in an MRI machine then.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Never thought about that. He never had to so far... but he gets rather uncomfortable around Wlans already.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How can he stand to be in a room with a refrigerator or a TV set? Or any elecxtricla appliance? They all put out a lot of low-freq RF.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So... the nonsensical rumors of electrical appliances frying people's brains are true?

:p

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How can he stand to be in a room with a refrigerator or a TV set? Or any elecxtricla appliance? They all put out a lot of low-freq RF.

As far as I know, he has no TV. I was a bit overstating the immediance of the effects. Since he got rid of his Wlan (already some years ago) he sleeps comfortable again. In general, he has as few appliances as possible, none in his sleeping room.I think he is overstating the matter a bit and sometimes "gets himself into it" more than it would actually be affecting him, but there's no doubt that it does have an influence on him.

So... the nonsensical rumors of electrical appliances frying people's brains are true?

Well, "frying people's brain" is certainly a wild overstatement, and it seems to be a rather slim percentage of the population that really have trouble with it.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score

And, regardless, this is why it's a mat that devices are placed on. Range is mitigated when you can physically set the device on the charger. ;)

ijuin

Reaction score
What I wonder about is whether this device might induce eddy currents inside of electronic components and thus damage them. Not all devices keep their microchips inside a Faraday cage after all . . .

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That review never actually shows if it works or not!

And if you have to have another device that plugs into your phone, this is nothing more than a fancy power cord. Useless to me, anyway.

I call fail. At least until phones come equipped with inductors built in so you can skip plugging stuff in.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

And if you have to have another device that plugs into your phone, this is nothing more than a fancy power cord. Useless to me, anyway.

I call fail. At least until phones come equipped with inductors built in so you can skip plugging stuff in.

Wow you actually have to plug a big bulky thing to it. Its not like the commercial (or the box, for that matter) shows. I agree- epic fail.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Wow you actually have to plug a big bulky thing to it. Its not like the commercial (or the box, for that matter) shows. I agree- epic fail.
Like Andy (sort of) mentioned, the idea is for future devices to have the thing built-in. Some companies have already done this with specific products but not many.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
^For instance, the Palm Pre is a smart phone that includes the option of a similar wireless charger and battery cover. The battery cover though, is relatively the same weight and size. It also looks nicer! :)

I am very happy with my Pre! :D

Keatah

Reaction score
energy efficient?? There are induction losses and power cunsumption is required if there is any 'smart' circuitry and regulators involved.. And you still need to plug your phone into an inductive power receiver.

So now you have a power brick, inductive receiver/cradle-case, and power base. Sounds like a lot more tech 'stuff' to have around.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I agree. Why not build them into the phone...?

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

The reviewer did exactly what he said he would do, and the title of the video matches the content perfectly. This is called an unboxing. It is where they just review and describe the packaging and physical looks of the item and accessories; you get lucky if the device gets turned on and demonstrated. But that is not the main goal of the 'unboxing' type of reveiw.

Unboxing is another 'useless' moniker invented by the tech industry. As is typical, always leaving you wanting for more or saying "thats it???"

This product is again typical of the tech industry - producing products in search of a need to exist. Not actually doing you any real hard-core basic down-to-earth benefit.

I mean look at all that stuff you have to deal with - layers of boxes and packaging, you know you're getting an overly complex product when they have to use a box flap to illustrate what the product does. I already know what a phone charger does, irregardless of what the packaging looks like. And that is what I got. a basic simple plug-in charger. It works, it came with my phone, I didn't waste additional money.. I didn't mess the environment more than necessary.

This is *NOT* eco-friendly, look at all that packaging and busy-work-stuff, and who needs a manual 1/3 inch thick for a phone charger? I thought you didn't have to plug in stuff?? What's with all the connectors and wires?? Sorry folks, the tech industry isn't ever going to eliminate wires totally till new communications protocols are developed and we have an energy source that lasts much longer than a day or two..Sorry..

And not even close to eco-friendly, look at all the inductive losses in the power transfer. And what about "smart" circuitry that needs more power to regulate the induction transfer? And how does this product deal with the waste generated by me throwing away my old cell-a-phone charger?? eh??

The only real solution is to buy something that works well and make use of it as long as possible. Only then are you justified in disposing of it. This is(was) a solution in need of a problem.

This is the tech industry beta-testing (and making money off you) an idea; this will only be useful when it is built into the phone and device. Not as an add-on! I hate this kind of crap! The tech industry claiming it will be convenient and efficient, only it makes you work 2x harder to make the product work!

If only people would think critically about what they need and purchas - So much useless crap would cease to exist!

Piss on it all I say!

Last edited: