Worst DGIV Flight I've Made

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
It was a normal day at KSC. My crew was in a DGIV going to the ISS. Turns out the pilot left the cargo bay, nose cone, turbo pack door, and gear open during liftoff. It was to late when he noticed the problem. THe computer malfunctioned at about 20 kilometers. The Apu shutdown ad everything went silent. One of the crew members insisted on bailing but the pilot wanted to try and save the bird. He re-booted the system and pulled out of the steep dive with seconds to spare. Right in front of him about 16 kilometers away was the runway. He shutoff the engines and did an unpowered glide to the runway. Right before touchdown the pilot and crew ejected, saving there selves. The DGIV hit the ground at 8 m/s but survived. All the crew survived.

Turns out if the crew didn't eject, they would have been killed by the G-force of impact. Also the extra weight might had of brought the DGIV down quicker.
Here is some screenshots of the carnage.

Last edited:

cr1

Promoting vegetables in space
Reaction score
Nice, at least they're all alive :)
Why not try ditching in the sea? More maneuvering space...
Wait, do UMMUs even float?

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Well, you made it out alive and DG is in one piece.

Here is how one of my DG flights ended up when during landing that stupid flight computer suddenly switched from aerodynamic control surfaces to RCS.

Note the smoking wreck and pieces of DG in the background

Attachments

• Crash.jpg
    Crash.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 61

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
That's true. I've had all kinds of engine related problems. One time I forgot to shut off my main fuel dump and ran out of fuel before getting into a successful orbit. X-feed didn't even get enough fuel to burn my engine for 10 seconds! My DGIV blew up in the atmosphere.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, you made it out alive and DG is in one piece.

Here is how one of my DG flights ended up when during landing that stupid flight computer suddenly switched from aerodynamic control surfaces to RCS.

Note the smoking wreck and pieces of DG in the background
Yeah, that means you were going too slow ;)

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
I've had surprises like that before which were nearly fatal. It's best to set the knob strictly to Gear & Airfoils when you are landing. If even more help is needed press F8 after that and click RCS in generic hud to Rotate for double help.